Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
Language changes not only over distances. This also changes over time. It is interesting to know what language ancestors spoke.

http://in.news.yahoo.com/language-ancestors-spoke-2-500-bc-revealed-062533758.html
Language is dynamic, the way grand father speaks language is different from now what I speak mother tongue, the language which do not change with time, is considered as dead language, one such recent example is Sindhi language which is now a dead language, as it is no longer spoken by Sindhis, as now their generations are speaking either Hindi or some other language, Language which does not change with time is considered as dead language, so it is bound to change.

Owing to this reason, English has survived and Sanskrit has become a language of the past.

In fact, Sanskrit has not died. This has changed so much that its present variants are known by many names- Hindi, Punjabi, Gujarati, Bengali etc. These are all variants of Sanskrit itself. Present English also differs from the old but name remains same. Only we call old English, Medieval English, modern English and so on.

The fact that Sanskrit is not widely spoken does not mean it is a dead language. In fact there are thousands of people who are studying it very actively and consciously and have undertaken an enormous task of researching the vast knowledge we have in the various scriptures and translating it into different regional languages. Noteworthy is the fact that each year hundreds of students from European who come to India to enroll in Sanskrit language courses in various Indian universities.

It is the truth that some languages eventually become dead, but sole reason is because of dwindling numbers of people who speak them. Where most languages are concerned such as Hindi, Marathi, Sindhi, Gujarati and et al. they are constantly evolving. In Mahabharat there are references to languages such as Punjab, Gujarati, Bengali, Prakrit etc. but the form of those languages was quite different then than it is now.

I agree that with disuse a language dies a natural death, some languages are very much being used without any scriot like in the case of my own language Thulu which had a script earlier but somehow was never regularly used.Now they are trying to revive it ...I feel that any language has its own importance and relevance and it is our duty to pass it on to the next generation..India is probably the richest where languages are concerned since we have the largest number of lanuages spoken in one country ...

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Language changes not only over distances. This also changes over time. It is interesting to know what language ancestors spoke.

http://in.news.yahoo.com/language-ancestors-spoke-2-500-bc-revealed-062533758.html
Language is dynamic, the way grand father speaks language is different from now what I speak mother tongue, the language which do not change with time, is considered as dead language, one such recent example is Sindhi language which is now a dead language, as it is no longer spoken by Sindhis, as now their generations are speaking either Hindi or some other language, Language which does not change with time is considered as dead language, so it is bound to change.

Owing to this reason, English has survived and Sanskrit has become a language of the past.

In fact, Sanskrit has not died. This has changed so much that its present variants are known by many names- Hindi, Punjabi, Gujarati, Bengali etc. These are all variants of Sanskrit itself. Present English also differs from the old but name remains same. Only we call old English, Medieval English, modern English and so on.

The fact that Sanskrit is not widely spoken does not mean it is a dead language. In fact there are thousands of people who are studying it very actively and consciously and have undertaken an enormous task of researching the vast knowledge we have in the various scriptures and translating it into different regional languages. Noteworthy is the fact that each year hundreds of students from European who come to India to enroll in Sanskrit language courses in various Indian universities.

It is the truth that some languages eventually become dead, but sole reason is because of dwindling numbers of people who speak them. Where most languages are concerned such as Hindi, Marathi, Sindhi, Gujarati and et al. they are constantly evolving. In Mahabharat there are references to languages such as Punjab, Gujarati, Bengali, Prakrit etc. but the form of those languages was quite different then than it is now.

I agree that with disuse a language dies a natural death, some languages are very much being used without any scriot like in the case of my own language Thulu which had a script earlier but somehow was never regularly used.Now they are trying to revive it ...I feel that any language has its own importance and relevance and it is our duty to pass it on to the next generation..India is probably the richest where languages are concerned since we have the largest number of lanuages spoken in one country ...

Exactly! Many of the languages spoken by secluded tribes and clans have died down because of ignorance and lack of education. But whereas we are concerned we must remain conscientious and take every efforts to pass down what we know to our children and try to make them proud of our languages so that they do the same! It is sad that Thulu is suffering such a fate in spite of having numerous followers some of whom were so illustrious people. But it is good that now efforts are being taken to revive it.

Marathi too has different variants such as Konkani Marathi, Ahirani, Khandeshi, Marathi spoken in Pune, Mumbai etc. But as long as people will keep efforts, our own languages will never die.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Thank you said by: usha manohar

Exactly! Many of the languages spoken by secluded tribes and clans have died down because of ignorance and lack of education. But whereas we are concerned we must remain conscientious and take every efforts to pass down what we know to our children and try to make them proud of our languages so that they do the same! It is sad that Thulu is suffering such a fate in spite of having numerous followers some of whom were so illustrious people. But it is good that now efforts are being taken to revive it.

Marathi too has different variants such as Konkani Marathi, Ahirani, Khandeshi, Marathi spoken in Pune, Mumbai etc. But as long as people will keep efforts, our own languages will never die.

It is more important to keep knowledge in ancient books alive than the language that is mere medium. a language transforms over a period of time to such an extent this loses its identity. The best thing is to translate the ancient wisdom in current languages. There could be very few people who would be interested in learning ancient language, literature and various other branches of knowledge. These persons need be encouraged and paid well for their unusual job.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar

It is more important to keep knowledge in ancient books alive than the language that is mere medium. a language transforms over a period of time to such an extent this loses its identity. The best thing is to translate the ancient wisdom in current languages. There could be very few people who would be interested in learning ancient language, literature and various other branches of knowledge. These persons need be encouraged and paid well for their unusual job.

That is a very valid point you have made, such languages also need to be preserved in their actual form. Truth is there are many people who are interested in doing this job but sadly they are unable to give full justice to it owing to lack of proper funds, government apathy etc. There is one such prominent institute in Pune, Bhandarkar Institute which does exactly this job, but sadly the affairs in are too much embroiled in meaningless politics, ego clashes, governmental apathy etc.

Thank you said by: Gulshan Kumar Ajmani

Sanskrit was never been common man's language, during that time Pali is the common man's language, Sanskrit is mother of many languages just like Latin to English, French and so on, many modern Indian languages traced its origin to Sanskrit, even a particular language can have many sub dialects,

Take the one from Odia, which has five different sub dialects, the standard Odia is spoken by people from Cuttack and Khurda district, but the Odia spoken by Puri district is better known as Puri Boli, as it is mixer of slang and Odia languages, similarly, In Southern Odisha, people tend to speak wave Odia, similarly in western part of Odisha the language is slight different.

http://mohanmekap.com/

Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar
Yes, language does change. Even if you consider Hindi - the most widely spoken language in India, you will see many variations according to the local dialect. The Bihari Hindi is very popular and so is Mumbaiyya Hindi.

Sanskrit was never been common man's language, during that time Pali is the common man's language, Sanskrit is mother of many languages just like Latin to English, French and so on, many modern Indian languages traced its origin to Sanskrit, even a particular language can have many sub dialects,

Take the one from Odia, which has five different sub dialects, the standard Odia is spoken by people from Cuttack and Khurda district, but the Odia spoken by Puri district is better known as Puri Boli, as it is mixer of slang and Odia languages, similarly, In Southern Odisha, people tend to speak wave Odia, similarly in western part of Odisha the language is slight different.

I lived in Odisha, Sundargarh district when I was working in Rourkela steel plant. My neighboring district was Sambalpur. I found there is a big difference between the dialects of Sambalpur and Puri. Similarly Ganjam district. Ganjam being the neighboring district with the state of AP, tho Odia of Ganjam is filled with Telugu words.
Thank you said by: mohan manohar

I think Konkani too has no script and here in Mangalore we have two different styles of Konkani - one spoken by the Hindus and the other spoken by the Catholics which has some portugese words in it and the pronunciation too is slightly different ...

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

I think Konkani too has no script and here in Mangalore we have two different styles of Konkani - one spoken by the Hindus and the other spoken by the Catholics which has some portugese words in it and the pronunciation too is slightly different ...

Yes, I think Konkani here in Maharahstra too does not have any script of its own. In fact there are so many dialects that may not have their own scripts. So such languages need even more efforts for preservation by people who speak them.

Yes, language does change. Even if you consider Hindi - the most widely spoken language in India, you will see many variations according to the local dialect. The Bihari Hindi is very popular and so is Mumbaiyya Hindi.

You will be surprised to note that even in Hindi speaking areas, the dialect changes every 40-50 KM. The Hindi spoken in Ghaziabad is different from Hindi in Moradabad or it changes again in Lucknow. The Hindi of Lucknow is different from that of spoken in Mathura. And the people speak an altogether version in Varanasi from what is spoken in Agra. Same is the case in Bihar. Thse are known as Avadhi, Maghi, Khdi Boli, Bhojpuri, etc. People living in Ranchi find it tough to understand someone coming from Samastipur.

I love this free image hosting site for sharing my work

https://o0.nz/

Thank you said by: Gulshan Kumar Ajmani
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.