Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
My father was a product of Naini Agriculture engineering institute in British period where he served also later when graduated as an engineer. He used to speak a different kind of English. He died in Oct 2010, who left no chance correcting me or my siblings whenever he heard us using bad or wrong languages we spoke. What he thought was wrong, was correct for us but he was accustomed to British ways while we were having hybrid knowledge. This is true today also, people using British dictionary find US spellings or words wrong. And there are thousands of such words which are commonly use, but one must stick to one set of dictionary.

Now the present crop of dictionaries are coming up with both forms of English. For example COLOUR ( British English ) and COLOR ( American version) are clearly indicated.

YOU REALIZED it now, I REALISED it way back. And this is not HUMOUR but HUMOR for us. We are searching these things ALLOVER but they knew it All OVER for long. ;)

Yes. most convincingly explained. Now are you convinced why your father used to correct your bad English ? Even now, the present day teachers are not convinced with the spelling of COLOR.They round it off with a red coloured ink.
My father was a product of Naini Agriculture engineering institute in British period where he served also later when graduated as an engineer. He used to speak a different kind of English. He died in Oct 2010, who left no chance correcting me or my siblings whenever he heard us using bad or wrong languages we spoke. What he thought was wrong, was correct for us but he was accustomed to British ways while we were having hybrid knowledge. This is true today also, people using British dictionary find US spellings or words wrong. And there are thousands of such words which are commonly use, but one must stick to one set of dictionary.

Now the present crop of dictionaries are coming up with both forms of English. For example COLOUR ( British English ) and COLOR ( American version) are clearly indicated.

YOU REALIZED it now, I REALISED it way back. And this is not HUMOUR but HUMOR for us. We are searching these things ALLOVER but they knew it All OVER for long. ;)

Yes. most convincingly explained. Now are you convinced why your father used to correct your bad English ? Even now, the present day teachers are not convinced with the spelling of COLOR.They round it off with a red coloured ink.

Honestly speaking, he used to correct us on all three languages we used to speak in common practice. But he was our father so he was the one who was always correct. :cheer:

I love this free image hosting site for sharing my work

https://o0.nz/

Honestly speaking, he used to correct us on all three languages we used to speak in common practice. But he was our father so he was the one who was always correct. :cheer:

Its not because he was your father. He was used to Queen's English. And I feel he's very much right.

Its not because he was your father. He was used to Queen's English. And I feel he's very much right.

And I always used to think That Queen Elizabeth did not know Hindi and Punjabi otherwise I would have tried one of these when I saw her as a kid in Varanasi way back riding in a Bazara (boat) during her visit there. :laugh:

Language changes not only over distances. This also changes over time. It is interesting to know what language ancestors spoke.

http://in.news.yahoo.com/language-ancestors-spoke-2-500-bc-revealed-062533758.html

It is also interesting to note how over a period of time people adopt to their environment including language and life style. Queen Elizabeth's ancestors were from Germany and now they are the British Royalty and considered blue blooded propah British...

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Language changes not only over distances. This also changes over time. It is interesting to know what language ancestors spoke.

http://in.news.yahoo.com/language-ancestors-spoke-2-500-bc-revealed-062533758.html
Language is dynamic, the way grand father speaks language is different from now what I speak mother tongue, the language which do not change with time, is considered as dead language, one such recent example is Sindhi language which is now a dead language, as it is no longer spoken by Sindhis, as now their generations are speaking either Hindi or some other language, Language which does not change with time is considered as dead language, so it is bound to change.

http://mohanmekap.com/

Thank you said by: Gulshan Kumar Ajmani

Language is dynamic, the way grand father speaks language is different from now what I speak mother tongue, the language which do not change with time, is considered as dead language, one such recent example is Sindhi language which is now a dead language, as it is no longer spoken by Sindhis, as now their generations are speaking either Hindi or some other language, Language which does not change with time is considered as dead language, so it is bound to change.

Owing to this reason, English has survived and Sanskrit has become a language of the past.

I hope people speaking Sindhi with their loved ones do not read this post. Sindhis love their language and always use it whenever with people who understand it. They do not speak Sindhi only when in community with different languages.

Owing to this reason, English has survived and Sanskrit has become a language of the past.

In fact, Sanskrit has not died. This has changed so much that its present variants are known by many names- Hindi, Punjabi, Gujarati, Bengali etc. These are all variants of Sanskrit itself. Present English also differs from the old but name remains same. Only we call old English, Medieval English, modern English and so on.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar

In fact, Sanskrit has not died. This has changed so much that its present variants are known by many names- Hindi, Punjabi, Gujarati, Bengali etc. These are all variants of Sanskrit itself. Present English also differs from the old but name remains same. Only we call old English, Medieval English, modern English and so on.

The fact that Sanskrit is not widely spoken does not mean it is a dead language. In fact there are thousands of people who are studying it very actively and consciously and have undertaken an enormous task of researching the vast knowledge we have in the various scriptures and translating it into different regional languages. Noteworthy is the fact that each year hundreds of students from European who come to India to enroll in Sanskrit language courses in various Indian universities.

It is the truth that some languages eventually become dead, but sole reason is because of dwindling numbers of people who speak them. Where most languages are concerned such as Hindi, Marathi, Sindhi, Gujarati and et al. they are constantly evolving. In Mahabharat there are references to languages such as Punjab, Gujarati, Bengali, Prakrit etc. but the form of those languages was quite different then than it is now.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.