Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
TV viewing for hours together is considered as Sedentary way of life which causes several health hazards.
I don't think people should be giving importance to such half baked news. The link does not provide detail about the studies apart from conclusion that watching t.v for more than three hours could lead to premature death. for instance, the detail about the people under study, their life style and the probable mechanism which could relate death and watching television etc are not mentioned. and as many readers had pointed out watching television and viewing television means the same thing. We cannot even ascertain the authenticity of the study

The only plausible reason I see here is that watching TV for straight 3-4 hours or more leads to inactivity and people when watching TV for such a long time usually sit sloppily with shoulders hunched and much on oily snacks while doing so. That and lack of exercise does tend to increase blood pressure, weight gain etc. and thus short lifespan. As to the authenticity of study, that does leave some questions unanswered.

I agree. Unlike internet, TV is not interactive. Moreover, the channels give too less material in too much time. I am sure that a regular TV watcher becomes very dull. They will communicate a message worth for two minutes in two hours wit innumerable breaks.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar
I don't think people should be giving importance to such half baked news. The link does not provide detail about the studies apart from conclusion that watching t.v for more than three hours could lead to premature death. for instance, the detail about the people under study, their life style and the probable mechanism which could relate death and watching television etc are not mentioned. and as many readers had pointed out watching television and viewing television means the same thing. We cannot even ascertain the authenticity of the study

The only plausible reason I see here is that watching TV for straight 3-4 hours or more leads to inactivity and people when watching TV for such a long time usually sit sloppily with shoulders hunched and much on oily snacks while doing so. That and lack of exercise does tend to increase blood pressure, weight gain etc. and thus short lifespan. As to the authenticity of study, that does leave some questions unanswered.

I agree. Unlike internet, TV is not interactive. Moreover, the channels give too less material in too much time. I am sure that a regular TV watcher becomes very dull. They will communicate a message worth for two minutes in two hours wit innumerable breaks.

I have seen children even adults refuse to leave the TV even to take take lunch or dinner. They take the food sitting before the TV in a hurry. This ultimately leads to sedentary life, which in its turn make them not only dull but they become victims of many diseases in the long run.
Thank you said by: Gulshan Kumar Ajmani
I believe constantly sitting and working on a laptop or computer can also prove detrimental for the human race irrespective of productive or unproductive work that we do. The underlying message that these group of scientists wish to convey it that go out and exercise, even when we are working in a office set up we should get up take a walk and come back to resume. Sitting for long hours infront of a tv/computer/laptop make people obese - hence we should work out!

“A mistake is a crash-course in learning” – Billy Anderson

I believe constantly sitting and working on a laptop or computer can also prove detrimental for the human race irrespective of productive or unproductive work that we do. The underlying message that these group of scientists wish to convey it that go out and exercise, even when we are working in a office set up we should get up take a walk and come back to resume. Sitting for long hours infront of a tv/computer/laptop make people obese - hence we should work out!

Even in offices, one can do work outs while sitting. One can stretch his limbs while sitting. Sedentary life leads to many ailments.
There is chair yoga too, which can be used by the busy office people. What's all needed is movement. They say movement itself is an exercise.
Yes..very well said...stretching while sitting is also a form of exercise better than not moving at all.

“A mistake is a crash-course in learning” – Billy Anderson

The key is to break away from the sedentary nature of job. Even if it is for a few moments, it serves the purpose. I suggest, the best is to get up and walk away from the TV during the long and boring advertisements. This way you can view the TV and at the same time, you can have that much needed break.
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.