Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
Prudential Saving for exigencies saves lives.
Don't save what is left after spending; spend what is left after saving. - Warren Buffett

For the rich saving is automatic and they also save for tax exemption. But low income people have more difficulty in saving. I feel that every one should just save 10% of whatever he receives. This will ensure sizable funds at time of need/ old age. For lay man, saving in Bank FD is best. For egular saving, RD in bank or post ofice would be better. Investment in equity is risky neds more skill and home work.

For common man RD and PO savings are ideal to save and take care of the rainy day. The transactions are simple even for a layman.

In post office savings, interest is less comparing with banks but one main advantage of post office is they are serving in every part of India where people can invest their money safely. Most of the savings made by women in villages is through post offices.

That and also one can invest upto Rs 5 lakhs in FDs and the interest will not be taxed...Incidentally , it is 12 lakhs limit for senior citizens

There appears no separate exemption for interest on bank FD. interest is included in total income and thn tax worked out. There is also TDS on bank FD if interest exceeds Rs. 10,000/- But if total income is below taxable limit i.e. Rs. 2 Lakh for general and 2.50 lakh for senior citizens- bank will not deduct TDS if appropriate form is submitted. Also oe may avoid TDS on bank FD if he maintains FDs in different banks so that there is not more than Rs. 10,000/- interest in any. For very senior citizens, no tax upto total icome Rs. five lakh.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

Thank you said by: usha manohar
In general, I'm for more convenience, less time consuming, less paper work paraphernalia and Safety. I don't mind about less interest. Bank frauds are more in comparison with PO frauds.
In general, I'm for more convenience, less time consuming, less paper work paraphernalia and Safety. I don't mind about less interest. Bank frauds are more in comparison with PO frauds.

I agree. I don't wish to manipulate things. I shall not try to deposit in different banks or even submit form H if my total income exceeds Rs. 2,50,000/ including interst on FD. Let them deduct TDS.

I agree. I don't wish to manipulate things. I shall not try to deposit in different banks or even submit form H if my total income exceeds Rs. 2,50,000/ including interst on FD. Let them deduct TDS.

Exactly. I'm a common man and my income is not astronimical. I don't have to manipulate to evade tax. Seeing through the eyes of a common, I found PO savings answer all my necessities.

Some banks did not tell the customers about the forms and simply deduct the TDS from their accounts. If customer asked about it they will say you must submit it and tell you to contact Income taxt department for further issues. An educated person knows about all these things and he will follow the procedures. A person who resides in villages did not know about it. In post offices before investing they are explaining what are the benefits in it. Banks hide important information from us. That's why still post offices are playing major role in villages. Savings is important comparing with interest and that money should be kept safely.
Thank you said by: Gulshan Kumar Ajmani

Some banks did not tell the customers about the forms and simply deduct the TDS from their accounts. If customer asked about it they will say you must submit it and tell you to contact Income taxt department for further issues. An educated person knows about all these things and he will follow the procedures. A person who resides in villages did not know about it. In post offices before investing they are explaining what are the benefits in it. Banks hide important information from us. That's why still post offices are playing major role in villages. Savings is important comparing with interest and that money should be kept safely.

This is correct. That is why when sombody has substantial deposit in bank or anywhere, he should not mind paying some fee to a consultant. when you fall sick, you pay medical charges. Then why reluctance about tax consultncy charges.

TDS INFORMATION, we get through our periodical Bank statements. It's OK with urban depositors. But what about rural, illiterate depositors? It's where PO savings come in to the picture. And that's the reason for its popularity.
Some education is necessary for any type of deposits. The advantage of P.O. deposits is that the small saving agents give all help to the depositors in post office schemes unlike banks. The small saving agents do everything from A to Z for thedepositors.

Post offices use the formula of "A penny saved a penny gained". People in village not immediately depositing a huge amount day by what amount they earned investing in their account.
Post offices use the formula of "A penny saved a penny gained". People in village not immediately depositing a huge amount day by what amount they earned investing in their account.

In fact, post office schemes are better known as 'small saving scheme'. These are of National savings Organization, Nagpur and operated by post ofices. But many big investors invest in such schemes for tax benefits.

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.