Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
Every year businessmen distribute diwali gifts to bureaucrats in departments like Income Tax, central Excise, Labor department. Are the gifts distributed on Diwali occasion bribe. This issue has been raised in a multinational company.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/business/india-business/Diwali-gift-or-bribe-Companies-in-a-fix/articleshow/44913089.cms?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=digest_section

Diwali gift distributed to Govt. officers or people working in IT companies is a token of appreciation for the work done..however, if the Govt. officials are given a gift which raises eyebrow, it is no doubt a bribe camouflaged as a gift to curry favor.

The gift is given not for appreciation of work but only as a sort of bribe. Only the officers and employees of departments having public relation get gifts as a matter of routine. Actually, the govt. employes are not supposd to get gift from public according to conduct rules. Govt. itself gives bonus to employees every year on Deepawali.

Would you mind if I ask why sales tax/income tax practitioners go with costly gifts to TTO and ITOs? That perhaps is the worst form of Diwali gift.

I won't mind for plain facts. The tax practiuoners act as middlement on behalf of assessees to give bribe in garb of diwali gifts. I agree that the tax practioners rather all legal practioners are no angels and they do everything- rigt or wrong- for benefit of their clients. .

In a particular multinational, there used to be an official directive for employees to declare any gift valued at more than Rs 400/- and management could either allow them to keep it or return it to the giver or it could be deposited with the company. Such a system relieves the employee of any guilt and also keeps the gift level at a level where it should be.
Thank you said by: Gulshan Kumar Ajmani
Every year businessmen distribute diwali gifts to bureaucrats in departments like Income Tax, central Excise, Labor department. Are the gifts distributed on Diwali occasion bribe. This issue has been raised in a multinational company.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/business/india-business/Diwali-gift-or-bribe-Companies-in-a-fix/articleshow/44913089.cms?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=digest_section

Diwali gift distributed to Govt. officers or people working in IT companies is a token of appreciation for the work done..however, if the Govt. officials are given a gift which raises eyebrow, it is no doubt a bribe camouflaged as a gift to curry favor.

The gift is given not for appreciation of work but only as a sort of bribe. Only the officers and employees of departments having public relation get gifts as a matter of routine. Actually, the govt. employes are not supposd to get gift from public according to conduct rules. Govt. itself gives bonus to employees every year on Deepawali.

Would you mind if I ask why sales tax/income tax practitioners go with costly gifts to TTO and ITOs? That perhaps is the worst form of Diwali gift.

I won't mind for plain facts. The tax practiuoners act as middlement on behalf of assessees to give bribe in garb of diwali gifts. I agree that the tax practioners rather all legal practioners are no angels and they do everything- rigt or wrong- for benefit of their clients. .

In a particular multinational, there used to be an official directive for employees to declare any gift valued at more than Rs 400/- and management could either allow them to keep it or return it to the giver or it could be deposited with the company. Such a system relieves the employee of any guilt and also keeps the gift level at a level where it should be.

Instead of receiving the gift from giver if the company gives a gift voucher to the employees it will be more safe for both sides. One thing i want to state here is people mind will not get satisfied what you have given to them at that time. They give ask you more on the next Diwali. This cycle is continuing till date...

Instead of receiving the gift from giver if the company gives a gift voucher to the employees it will be more safe for both sides. One thing i want to state here is people mind will not get satisfied what you have given to them at that time. They give ask you more on the next Diwali. This cycle is continuing till date...

Very true. In my company once suit lengths were given to certain govt. officials. Instead if saying thank you they phoned to express displeasure that matching shirt pieces were not given. They had to be given.

Very true. In my company once suit lengths were given to certain govt. officials. Instead if saying thank you they phoned to express displeasure that matching shirt pieces were not given. They had to be given.

Your company should tackle these kinds of issues easily by saying that we are ready to deliver the shirt pieces free at your door step but if you are ready to pay the amount . They will never make a call and your company also save the amount spending towards gifts for this kind of persons.
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.