Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
Gulshan Kumar Ajmani wrote:
rambabu wrote:

I have done it. When I was selected for the prestigious Award known as Jawahar Award  a famous award popular in PSU steel plants for saving a substantial amount to the company, I refused to accept.. Because of the heavy taxes imposed on such awards.

Would the tax exceed the reward?   The tax is definitely not 100% or more. It is maximum 30% plus education cess.  You lose more by refusing award rather by paying tax. Is it better to pat 30% tax or forego entire 100%. I don't understand the logic. Hope you will elucidate. There is only one condition when you may refuse. It may be that you get award in shape of some non financial asset like Motor car but you don't have cash to pay rax. I came across some person who won lottery of a motor bike. This was taxable.  He paid tax to the lotter manager as a way of TDS and got the bike. I got him refund of income tax by filing his return showing total income including that of motor cycle lottery. . 

I view things in a different way. For a A Gift given to my daughter, I will not demand anything from her. The same thing applies to the corporate gifts as far as I'm concerned. A gift in true sense is a token of love or loyalty or anything as the case may be without any strings attached.

rambabu wrote:
rambabu wrote:

I have done it. When I was selected for the prestigious Award known as Jawahar Award  a famous award popular in PSU steel plants for saving a substantial amount to the company, I refused to accept.. Because of the heavy taxes imposed on such awards.

Would the tax exceed the reward?   The tax is definitely not 100% or more. It is maximum 30% plus education cess.  You lose more by refusing award rather by paying tax. Is it better to pat 30% tax or forego entire 100%. I don't understand the logic. Hope you will elucidate. There is only one condition when you may refuse. It may be that you get award in shape of some non financial asset like Motor car but you don't have cash to pay rax. I came across some person who won lottery of a motor bike. This was taxable.  He paid tax to the lotter manager as a way of TDS and got the bike. I got him refund of income tax by filing his return showing total income including that of motor cycle lottery. . 

I view things in a different way. For a A Gift given to my daughter, I will not demand anything from her. The same thing applies to the corporate gifts as far as I'm concerned. A gift in true sense is a token of love or loyalty or anything as the case may be without any strings attached.

The govt. does not give gift but only imposes tax on a gift that you receive from some source.  By the way, gift received from father is not taxable as this is from blood relation. But if you receive gift freom corporate or elsewhere, this is taxable. Here the donor is not getting back anything. Only this is subject to tax.  If this is thinking, you need not receive anything- even salary- which is subject to tax. 

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

Thank you said by: rambabu
rambabu wrote:
rambabu wrote:

The govt. does not give gift but only imposes tax on a gift that you receive from some source.  By the way, gift received from father is not taxable as this is from blood relation. But if you receive gift freom corporate or elsewhere, this is taxable. Here the donor is not getting back anything. Only this is subject to tax.  If this is thinking, you need not receive anything- even salary- which is subject to tax. 

Agreed sir. But that is salary and this is named as GIFT. When I receive my salary i can understand that my salary is subject to taxes. And I also understand that I'm bound to pay taxes. There is no confusion about the Income tax on my salary.

rambabu wrote:
rambabu wrote:
rambabu wrote:

Agreed sir. But that is salary and this is named as GIFT. When I receive my salary i can understand that my salary is subject to taxes. And I also understand that I'm bound to pay taxes. There is no confusion about the Income tax on my salary.

Please also remove confusion on taxability of taxes. For govt, a gift is alo income. If all gifts were made tax free, people would simply give each other only gifts so that there would be no tax.  I remember that once, gift to wife was taxable but not other gifts.  So many began gifting  others' wives on reciprocal basis. a would give gift to B's wife and B would give gift to A's wife.  So all that became tax free. Taxation is a financial issue and so we should see this from that angle. I agree that donor should give gift unconditionally. But the govt. will recieve a part as tax.  

rambabu wrote:
rambabu wrote:
rambabu wrote:

Please also remove confusion on taxability of taxes. For govt, a gift is alo income. If all gifts were made tax free, people would simply give each other only gifts so that there would be no tax.  I remember that once, gift to wife was taxable but not other gifts.  So many began gifting  others' wives on reciprocal basis. a would give gift to B's wife and B would give gift to A's wife.  So all that became tax free. Taxation is a financial issue and so we should see this from that angle. I agree that donor should give gift unconditionally. But the govt. will recieve a part as tax.  

Just a thought ! why not deduct tax before handing over the gift ? It is easy if it is cash gift or else it will become complicated ...

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

rambabu wrote:
rambabu wrote:
rambabu wrote:

Absolutely there is no confusion about Taxes. And I know Taxation is a financial issue.I worked in PSU for 25 years and took voluntary retirement on personal grounds. I am very much used to Taxes deducted at the source in my bank My department issues form 16.

Because i know a corporate gift is also taxable  this is the aspect that I did not like it. When I saved lakhs of rupees to my organization  through my innovative works my organization gave me gifts as a token of my exemplary contribution. It is only then I came to know this gift given to me is taxable. Since then I started refusing all the gifts given by my organization. Because i  felt since it is given as GIFT it should be tax free. My Officers also said what you said now. Then I asked if I refuse will it be taxed. They said no. Then I refused such gifts. Not one but many.

It is important,relevant and needs to be stressed in this context that there separate provisions for treatment of gifts from employers and section 17(2) and rule 3 of I.T. Act should referred to for guidance. Prudence demands that offer of onerous gifts should be avoided. 

@Rambabu As I have stated in my post that there exists separate provisions in this regard which clearly state that gift exceeding Rs 5000 in value will be treated as perks and taxible in the hands of the employee while it is a deductible business expenditure and the rate of tax will depend on one's overall taxable income.Obviously the prospect of paying tax should not make us shy of accepting gifts.We have to judge if its acceptance works to our financial and material benefit or not.
Thank you said by: rambabu, Gulshan Kumar Ajmani

So kind of you Chinmoy. You took the trouble for providing the nuances of Taxation. In this connection I must thank you and Gulshanji ji.

Thank you said by: Gulshan Kumar Ajmani
usha manohar wrote:
rambabu wrote:
rambabu wrote:
rambabu wrote:

Just a thought ! why not deduct tax before handing over the gift ? It is easy if it is cash gift or else it will become complicated ...

I agree. Infact, tax is deducted before paying. But some times there is a gift or lottery in kind. As I mentioned in a reply, once an Air Force employee won a Two wheeler in lottery. He paid the tax amount as TDS to the lottery agency.  But in view of his total income including lottery being less than taxable, he got refund from Income Tax department. I helped him getting the refund as a consultant. 

Thank you said by: usha manohar
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.