Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

Some of the actors or Singers, though they earned a good money in their hey days,  did not care to save for the Rainy day. They were under the impression that their income, popularity will remain forever. This is  nothing but lack of fore thought. Ultimately, such people had to live in penury in the last phase of their lives. I'm not aware of Sulakshna Pandit's case.

A lot has been said about the monopoly of Lata Mangeshkar and Asha Bhosle over other singers including Mubarak Begum. This article throws some light over this issue while paying rich tributes to Mubarak Begum and her singing voice ..

http://blogs.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/toi-edit-page/mubarak-begum-was-born-before-her-time-she-would-have-been-much-better-understood-today/

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Mubarak Begum was endowed with several unique qualities. One of the trait in her voice was, she was different from others. It's difficult to find a singer, whose rendition is Okayed in a single take. Even the legendary Lata was not an exception.The Doyen of of Hindusthani Classical music, Bade Ghulam Ali Khan's complement, that Mubarak begum renders without off key, itself says , Mubarak Begum's greatness.

usha manohar wrote:

A lot has been said about the monopoly of Lata Mangeshkar and Asha Bhosle over other singers including Mubarak Begum. This article throws some light over this issue while paying rich tributes to Mubarak Begum and her singing voice ..

http://blogs.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/toi-edit-page/mubarak-begum-was-born-before-her-time-she-would-have-been-much-better-understood-today/

Thanks for the link, it is indeed a very well written and lovely analysis of Mubarak Begum's voice. It is only now that the trend of rough, husky, voices with a different kind of sweetness are appreciated only now. I think the trend might have been set by Usha Utthup, I simply love her voice and others too, Shalmali Kholgade, Rekha Bharadwaj among others. But when Mubarak Begum was in the industry, it was the era of sweet voices as embodied by Asha, Lata, Suman Kalyanpur etc. But still, Mubarak's is a genre in it self and very lovely to listen to.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

I feel, Mubarak begum , although was a well known Singer, who sang for the most noted Music Directors of her time like Shanker Jaikishen, Naushad to name a few,  failed to realize the importance of capitalizing  her talents, which is highly essential in careers connected to the entertainment industry. All she was interested in was more Music and less Money. Mubarak begum's day to day expenses and generosity did not allow her save much money. This resulted in much suffering in her last days of her career.

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.