How And When To Check Blood Sugar

How frequently I should check blood sugar?

It is very important to keep an eye on your sugar, wherever you are and whomever doctor you see. In average once in 4 to 6 weeks should be enough to see the control. If the control is not good and treatment has been changed, you may think of doing more often. On the other hand, if control is very good and you are fine, you may do it every 2 - 3 months.

Which sugar is best to check, fasting, after food or random?

Fasting sugar is the most important one. Once fasting is well controlled then you can concentrate on sugar 2 hour after meal [Postprandial (PP)]. PP sugar is particularly important in pregnancy Diabetes. Random sugar checking does not make much sense in monitoring Diabetes, it has only a role to diagnose low sugar (i.e., you are not feeling well and you want to know your sugar on the spot) or a very high sugar like in Diabetic coma.

Who should check sugar at home?

Checking your own sugar at home is a wonderful idea. Having a machine at home does not mean you need to check everyday; you can make a plan how often you want to do. This is reliable and there is no reason to cross checks your home sugar with the laboratory. The best advantage of having a glucometer at home is to check your sugar when you are not feeling well so that you can know then and there whether blood sugar is the reason for you not feeling well.

How costly is sugar checking at home?

The machine cost now varies from Rs 1500 to around Rs. 3500 (quite a few types of machine is now available in India) and pack of strip cost around Rs 1000 for 50. So in comparison, on the long run checking sugar at home is not more costly.
Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
Thanks for the information, ill try and pass this to as many as possible.
Very good information provided and this machine should be a boon to persons suffering from diabetes.Thanks Neetu!
Thanks for the tips and information,Neetu. It is really useful for diabetics.
Quite good information regarding health issue.... :)

Thanks for the thread.. :)

Thanks 'n' Regards,
Deepti.
I just hope that the prices become more affordable so that all sections of our people who neeed can have them.
Till now i did not know what blood type i posses, am really afraid of injection. How to overcome the fear for blood,scissors,operation and injection?
:) Well asked Sajeetharan... :)

It is called phobia. Blood phobia.. :)

I am not at all scared of all these..... :)

Thanks 'n' Regards,
Deepti.
Thanks for giving this information Neetu..it is really very helpful for Dibetic patients as said by other members..
I own this machine as my father is dibetic..I check his blood-sugar often on fasting only as it is correct way to know your sugar..
Yes the strips are little bit costly but coming to machine i think investing once a amount of Rs.1500 is not at all a problem for anyone as you will know the difference once you buy it..medical bill will reduce a lot..
Deepti i know it is blood phobia, but how to overcome it? Many friends of mine used to tease me for this. But i have no idea.
000203FB-20100917.gif (You do not have access to download this file.)
@Sajeetharan

You can take lessons from Deepti on how to overcome this phobia!!
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.