Some words have contradictory meaning in same language. Can you point out such words in your language?
For example, in Malayalam the words 'Chettan' and 'Ettan' has two contradictory meanings......ie 'Bhayya' and 'Sayya'. :laugh:
ie. The same word is used to call both brother and fiancee/spouse (if he is elder)....Isn't it contradictory?
Can you find such interesting words????? :whistle:

Meera sandhu
Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
In hindi, we can call yesterday and tommarrow as Kal.

This is a contradictory word.

Sandhya is this right?
0009.gif (You do not have access to download this file.)

Slow and Steady Wins the Race.

Sandhya is this right?

{CJATTACHMENT ["id": 5354]}

Absolutely correct.....Keep it up.
Try to find new words....
I think 'parzom' in Hindi also have two meaning similar to kal. Day after tomorrow and day before yesterday. Isn't it??? Any one clear my doubt please :)

Meera sandhu

Sandhya is this right?

{CJATTACHMENT ["id": 5354]}

Absolutely correct.....Keep it up.
Try to find new words....
I think 'parzom' in Hindi also have two meaning similar to kal. Day after tomorrow and day before yesterday. Isn't it??? Any one clear my doubt please :)

'PARSON' in Hindi means day before as well as day after.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

So 'Parzom' is of course a contradictory word. can you find some more?

Meera sandhu
Can you find some more in your language????

Meera sandhu
Chettan and ettan are not same word and so there is nothing peculiar about different meanings. Bhayya and Sainya are also different words and so no peculiarity. In fact, there will be many words like that with which we need not crowd this thread. It will be better to write same word (same and not similar) with different meanings. In Hindi, if you just add 'a' before an adjective, opposite meaning is got. For example: 'Swachh' means 'clean' and 'aswachh' means 'dirty'. Also 'su' and 'ku' prefixes covey opposite meanings. For example: 'Suroop' is beautiful and 'kuroop' is ugly.

Chettan and ettan are not same word and so there is nothing peculiar about different meanings. Bhayya and Sainya are also different words and so no peculiarity. In fact, there will be many words like that with which we need not crowd this thread. It will be better to write same word (same and not similar) with different meanings. In Hindi, if you just add 'a' before an adjective, opposite meaning is got. For example: 'Swachh' means 'clean' and 'aswachh' means 'dirty'. Also 'su' and 'ku' prefixes covey opposite meanings. For example: 'Suroop' is beautiful and 'kuroop' is ugly.

Sir, I am saying...both the words 'ettan' and 'chettan' are used for representing elder males.....It may be our brother, husband, a person just few years older than us or even a stranger.
Chettan and ettan have same meaning. Both are used in the same way.

Meera sandhu

Sir, I am saying...both the words 'ettan' and 'chettan' are used for representing elder males.....It may be our brother, husband, a person just few years older than us or even a stranger.
Chettan and ettan have same meaning. Both are used

Thank you for the clarification. Thus, the words, 'Chettan' or 'ettan' do not relate to relation but only mean respect to elders. There appears no contradiction.

Chettan and ettan have same meaning. Both are used

Thank you for the clarification. Thus, the words, 'Chettan' or 'ettan' do not relate to relation but only mean respect to elders. There appears no contradiction.

Yes.....
For persons who have age of our parents (not even relations), we use 'mama and mamy'(uncle/aunty)
For persons having age of grand parents, is there any word in Hindi to represent them, except dada, nana......
We call appooppa, ammoomma....even if they are not our relatives.
Similarly, for all elder males.....we use chettan/ettan...he may or may not be our relative
All elder females( a few years older) chechi (deedi).
In Hindi....bhayya means brother/ or whom we consider brother.

But in Hindi, we add 'ji' to their names to give respect to them....irrespective of their age...Am I right?

Meera sandhu
Oh i am thinking hard but nothing is coming in to my mind. :(

i will think it to night lets see how much words i can put here. :)
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.