Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
I think people think speaking in their mother tongues is some thing that would show them down. Look at the film stars who work for Indian languages but feel ashamed while speaking in front of audiences and media. What a shame!

language is for communication. This should not be a sentimental issue. When actor or any one speaks to national audience, use of English or Hindi may be necessary. This is more so when the audience consists of different linguist groups.

Here again I have to disagree. One's language is described as Mother tongue not for nothing! It's not father's toungue!! It's this sentimental link. In erstwhile East Pakistan which is now Bangladesh attempts were made to impose Urdu on Bengali-speaking populace and the people rose in rebellion and some protesters were masscred on 21st February which has now been adopted as International Language Day!!
I am lucky that way, I have two different languages, one as my father tongue and another as my mother tongue. They both could speak each other's language, I learnt both of them. Incidentally they are no more in this world.

I love this free image hosting site for sharing my work

https://o0.nz/

I think people think speaking in their mother tongues is some thing that would show them down. Look at the film stars who work for Indian languages but feel ashamed while speaking in front of audiences and media. What a shame!

language is for communication. This should not be a sentimental issue. When actor or any one speaks to national audience, use of English or Hindi may be necessary. This is more so when the audience consists of different linguist groups.

Here again I have to disagree. One's language is described as Mother tongue not for nothing! It's not father's toungue!! It's this sentimental link. In erstwhile East Pakistan which is now Bangladesh attempts were made to impose Urdu on Bengali-speaking populace and the people rose in rebellion and some protesters were masscred on 21st February which has now been adopted as International Language Day!!

This is a case of religious prejudice entering linguistic area. Bengali is language of every Bengali- Hindu, Muslim, Christian. Urdu could not be mother tongue of Muslims in Bengal. There was similar situation in Punjab. Punjabi is mother tongue of all Punjabi- Hindus, Muslims or Christians. But politicians of Jan Sangh ( now BJP) instigated Hindus to adopt Hindi as their language and so express to Census inquiry.

When I say, mother tongue, this is honest expression as not affected by politicians' bias.

I am a Hindu Punjabi. I have no hesitation to say that Punjabi is my mother tongue. I need not be a Sikh to own Punjabi as my mother tongue. However, I have been educated in Uttar Pradesh. Hence, Hindi is my first language.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

Bengali is my mother tongue but I know Hindi also.

www.mobileeduhut.blogspot.in
I am a Hindu Punjabi. I have no hesitation to say that Punjabi is my mother tongue. I need not be a Sikh to own Punjabi as my mother tongue. However, I have been educated in Uttar Pradesh. Hence, Hindi is my first language.[/quote]

Same is the case with me, my father was originally from Punjab a HIndu spoke Hindi(now in Hariyana) and mother also the same Hindu Punjabi, who spoke Punjabi, I lived most of my life in UP due to father's job in UP government. So my mother tongue is Punjabi, but I can speak both Punjabi and Hindi with equal command.

So share here in how many languages are you able to read and write.

So share here in how many languages are you able to read and write.

Hindi, Malayalam and English.
Can read some words from Tamil.....but not sure :unsure:

Meera sandhu
I can also speak a few. But no Malyalam. :silly:

I know to read or write in Bengali and Hindi and English.

[quote]Here again I have to disagree. One's language is described as Mother tongue not for nothing! It's not father's toungue!! It's this sentimental link. In erstwhile East Pakistan which is now Bangladesh attempts were made to impose Urdu on Bengali-speaking populace and the people rose in rebellion and some protesters were masscred on 21st February which has now been adopted as International Language Day!! [/quote]

True, one can never be at comfort if forced to adopt a language that is less known than one's mother tongue! One may adopt another language as preferred means of his or her communication, but by his/her own choice and should not be forced upon a population as a whole, especially when they largely speak in their own mother tongue.

Unfortunately, the politicians do not understand this basic concept, a recent outrage caused in Karnataka state, Belgaum district where there is a large number of Marathi speaking population, they are now being forcibly coerced into using Kannada as their language, and the means resorted are posing threats to lives if those who refuse to comply! :angry:

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.