According to Sociologists and thinkers , Religion like marriage and family is an Institution devised by man to regulate the society and its behavior.
In the olden days ,while people were coming out of a barbaric existence and moving towards civilization, they needed some kind of a guidance which was provided by the leaders and more powerful men within their community. Man began by worshiping nature since nature was all powerful against the fury of which he had no power.
But as things stand today, Religion has become all powerful with its leaders trying to gain importance and power by instigating their followers to hate and divide people.
So one wonders if such a institution is really necessary or needed ? Or does it need some reforms? I am sure as time goes by it will indeed change according to the needs of the society ...

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
The law or rules made to regulate society form religion. Thus 'The Ten commandments', Manu smriti, Upnishads give a lot of guidance to people. Gradually, these rules changed and now almost every country has a constitution and set of law. This replaces religion.

Religion is very much part of our social system. Even law pertaining to family and inheritance is based on religious customs.

We cannot remove religion. But we should attempt to evolve a scientific attitude and social and economic justice based on equity and fair play. We should fight only against unjust and discriminatory religious and social customs and not religion as such. Raja Ram Mohan Roy is glaring example of how to fight unjust custom while retaining religious beliefs.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

Thank you said by: Sandhya Rani
Obviously we have modified religion in our own ways otherwise every religion is good and is against violance but in present scenerio most of riots happen in the name of religion. :evil:
The law or rules made to regulate society form religion. Thus 'The Ten commandments', Manu smriti, Upnishads give a lot of guidance to people. Gradually, these rules changed and now almost every country has a constitution and set of law. This replaces religion.

Religion is very much part of our social system. Even law pertaining to family and inheritance is based on religious customs.

We cannot remove religion. But we should attempt to evolve a scientific attitude and social and economic justice based on equity and fair play. We should fight only against unjust and discriminator religious and social customs and not religion as such. Raja ram Mohan Roy is glaring example of how to fight unjust custom while retaining religious beliefs.

Of course it is impossible to remove or think of a world without religion since it has become deep rooted.It is being used by anyone and everyone for their personal gains , also a tool in the hands of unscrupulous people ...

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Thank you said by: Gulshan Kumar Ajmani
Usha, you have started a very crucial topic here. Sometimes when I see the overdose of religion everywhere from various TV channels to front page headlines in the different dailies, at such times I feel that religion is overrated and out of context to today's scenario. But it cannot be removed completely, because even though the modern times cannot be considered barbaric, there are still those undesirable elements like drugs and substance abuses, nuclear families, dysfunctional families and so on and so forth!

Therefore, religion and faith are the only things that present a person with something to hold on to, a little flicker of hope that enables someone to hold on to his or her sanity. Yet, there should be something that would keep people from turning into religious fanatics and just have blind faith.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Usha, you have started a very crucial topic here. Sometimes when I see the overdose of religion everywhere from various TV channels to front page headlines in the different dailies, at such times I feel that religion is overrated and out of context to today's scenario. But it cannot be removed completely, because even though the modern times cannot be considered barbaric, there are still those undesirable elements like drugs and substance abuses, nuclear families, dysfunctional families and so on and so forth!

Therefore, religion and faith are the only things that present a person with something to hold on to, a little flicker of hope that enables someone to hold on to his or her sanity. Yet, there should be something that would keep people from turning into religious fanatics and just have blind faith.

Agreed ! God, faith and belief although inter-related with religion at some point are also extremely personal to people.According to me Religion on the other hand can be compared to the leading institutions run by the heads bent on making a commercial proposition out of it while faith and belief can be compared to the education itself , am not sure whether it is the right comparison but that's how I see it now...

Agreed ! God, faith and belief although inter-related with religion at some point are also extremely personal to people.According to me Religion on the other hand can be compared to the leading institutions run by the heads bent on making a commercial proposition out of it while faith and belief can be compared to the education itself , am not sure whether it is the right comparison but that's how I see it now...

No no, I think that is the right comparison, because any institution that we see now, religious, educational or otherwise, all have but one goal, and that is commercial profit!

No no, I think that is the right comparison, because any institution that we see now, religious, educational or otherwise, all have but one goal, and that is commercial profit!

Very true, all our temples and otther religious institutions are overflowing with cash and wealth and do they even think of sharing it with the less fortunate? never, they may at best give free meals to visitors, and think of multiplying the wealth ten fold by starting educational institutions and hospitals...

The dominance of religion ever since the dawn of civilization has been well-recorded in the pages of history. I personally observe all organized religions paradoxically and contrary to their avowed goals of justice and harmony have played havoc on us. As we are all susceptible to religious overtures, all selfish and downright corrupt people have seen how effective and powerful tool it could be in their hands to control lives.Religion is as it has been down the centuries. It has undergone several evolutionary stages and the common educated people are still struggling to link it to their lives. But any thought of banishment of it from our life would be pretty foolhardy!
There are only a very few such places who will actually give free education and free treatment to the poor, but most of them are busy hoarding that immense wealth in the banks and not using them for good and social causes.

Recently the rift between some government officials and trustees of Shri Sai Baba Mandir, Shirdi, left a lot of speculation!

The dominance of religion ever since the dawn of civilization has been well-recorded in the pages of history. I personally observe all organized religions paradoxically and contrary to their avowed goals of justice and harmony have played havoc on us. As we are all susceptible to religious overtures, all selfish and downright corrupt people have seen how effective and powerful tool it could be in their hands to control lives.Religion is as it has been down the centuries. It has undergone several evolutionary stages and the common educated people are still struggling to link it to their lives. But any thought of banishment of it from our life would be pretty foolhardy!

I agree, but instead of banishing, why cannot we ask for moderation of religion in our daily lives?? I see an increasing number of people who would skip important days of work, school, other commitments etc. so that they can wait in the queue outside some temples for darshan, especially so I see this trend on Saturday evenings to seek blessings of Hanuman and Shani so that their lives are without any worries. A very worrisome trend when I see school and college going lot in those queues!! Why cannot that time be devoted instead to fruitful endeavors at work and learning?

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.