Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
I often feel, it's pure business oriented...nothing else
But I feel it's an insult to senior citizens even if they are paid

They are there not because of choice but because of their need. I do tend to feel for old citizens who don't have the choice of relaxing in the age of their retirements. But by working they are able to take care of their needs and their family in a dignified way.

Live in the present :)
It is true that customer can open and close the door itself. If we do so then we are making a person loose his job. That's not fair. Let him and close the door. World is place of merciless people.

I agree. There is only business interest in commercial establishment. If you show undue care for the senior citizen employed and show that he is too old for the job, management will surely sack him.

This is not isolated case. There are also senior citizens working as Coolies, Riksha pullers and oing many petty jobs. As long as one needs money and he has no source of income like past saving, interest or rental income or support from children, he has to work. Instead of showing too much compassion, we need appreciate their efforts of self dependence. Incidentally, i am also a senior citizen and still working.

I do appreciate and respect them a lot....it's not just a matter of pity. I can't tolerate senior people respecting us. there lies the real problem.
Also, they are paid low for such restless jobs. It's really hurting you know.

No need to feel bad about it. If senior people shows their respect to their junior the juniors should appreciate the gesture by also showing their respect. Ideally one is expected to show their respect to everybody without differentiating between the seniors or juniors.
It is true that customer can open and close the door itself. If we do so then we are making a person loose his job. That's not fair. Let him and close the door. World is place of merciless people.

I agree. There is only business interest in commercial establishment. If you show undue care for the senior citizen employed and show that he is too old for the job, management will surely sack him.

This is not isolated case. There are also senior citizens working as Coolies, Riksha pullers and oing many petty jobs. As long as one needs money and he has no source of income like past saving, interest or rental income or support from children, he has to work. Instead of showing too much compassion, we need appreciate their efforts of self dependence. Incidentally, i am also a senior citizen and still working.

I do appreciate and respect them a lot....it's not just a matter of pity. I can't tolerate senior people respecting us. there lies the real problem.

No need to feel bad about it. If senior people shows their respect to their junior the juniors should appreciate the gesture by also showing their respect. Ideally one is expected to show their respect to everybody without differentiating between the seniors or juniors.

If a senior person is fit and is able to earn , then why not ? He or she must be getting some satisfaction at least that they are financially independent. Every job has its own importance and why distinguish between them as lowly and high placed jobs. A job is a job..

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Age is not the only factor that deserves respect. we should respect age but there are also other factors like rank, status, knowledge, position etc that demand respect. We need to see which one is more important at a given time. In the Army, the junior in rank will salute the senior even if he is his son. In our residential area and family/ relatives, age counts more. In an establishment, seniority in service and rank matters more. In an educational institution, teacher student relation matters more. A teacher may be younger in age but will command respect even from oldie. If a senior person serves as a waiter or guard in an establishment and you visit there as a customer, he will respect you. This is in fact not his personal respect but this is on behalf of the organization that he serves.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

When any older person serves us in mall or in banks or in any other place I just feel guilty.But can't do anything as it is their duty and if we tried to help them they might loose their job.

Sharmistha Banerjee
We can definitely help ourselves by opening our doors, but the fact is that the doormen are paid to open doors for customers. I believe in dignity of labour and so I think it is nothing shameful for a person to open doors for other people, young or old or whatever! It is said that a job is a job, be it anything and it should be done right. Also, if that doorman is an old person, it is not an insult, but he is treating his job with respect by doing it. We need not feel guilty or ashamed, but we can always show our appreciation by smiling at him and saying thank you! It is his dignity too that should be considered, if he is earning his means honestly, there is nothing to be ashamed about it!

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Thank you said by: Gulshan Kumar Ajmani, Mary
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.