Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
Earlier, green chillies were small in size. Nowadays we are getting big sized chillies....even a half is excess for making chutney. That much hot. How is it coming to market......? Just by adding something extra to small normal sized chillies......

I am not sure about the situation in Kerala but nowadays , many hybrid varieties of food crops and vegetables are available in the market. They are more bigger, tastier and of course more productive. Many people feel that the production has been increased by adding chemicals but introduction of the hybrids have also done wonders!

yes, it is also true. i really forget it.

Yet we can't deny the fact that instant production of vegetables and cereals are done through excess use of chemicals.

Use of fertilizers and pesticides certainly boost the production of food grains and and other plants. But only when used adequately. If used in excess, it actually harms both the plants and the environment. It causes what is known as 'fertilizer burns' in plants.

Not to mention the havoc it plays on the quality of the soil. Excessive use of pesticides actually leaches out the essential nutrients and kill all nitrogen-producing microbes that are actually essential to a plant's healthy growth.

In fact excessive use of fertilizers increases the soil acidity. I have seen how they leave white colored salts on the soil when used in excess. Farmers have to again add other chemicals to neutralise the acidity. Consequently, the cost of agriculture also increases.
Earlier, green chillies were small in size. Nowadays we are getting big sized chillies....even a half is excess for making chutney. That much hot. How is it coming to market......? Just by adding something extra to small normal sized chillies......

I am not sure about the situation in Kerala but nowadays , many hybrid varieties of food crops and vegetables are available in the market. They are more bigger, tastier and of course more productive. Many people feel that the production has been increased by adding chemicals but introduction of the hybrids have also done wonders!

Yet we can't deny the fact that instant production of vegetables and cereals are done through excess use of chemicals.

Use of fertilizers and pesticides certainly boost the production of food grains and and other plants. But only when used adequately. If used in excess, it actually harms both the plants and the environment. It causes what is known as 'fertilizer burns' in plants.

Not to mention the havoc it plays on the quality of the soil. Excessive use of pesticides actually leaches out the essential nutrients and kill all nitrogen-producing microbes that are actually essential to a plant's healthy growth.

In fact excessive use of fertilizers increases the soil acidity. I have seen how they leave white colored salts on the soil when used in excess. Farmers have to again add other chemicals to neutralise the acidity. Consequently, the cost of agriculture also increases.

I have heard of several hundreds of acres of fertile lands turned into virtual deserts because of excessive fertilizer use in India! It is time to switch to organic and traditional methods of farming!

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Jabeen, did you read the book One-Straw Revolution by Japanese farmer and philosopher Masanobu Fukuoka. It is about his experiments in farming using natural methods and without disturbing the existing ecological systems at the micro level. It is a very good book and an eye opener for every one. Do read it once!

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

I have heard of several hundreds of acres of fertile lands turned into virtual deserts because of excessive fertilizer use in India! It is time to switch to organic and traditional methods of farming!

I too witness something like that when I was in Rajasthan. Though the lands did not exactly turned into a desert yet but when interacting with the villagers I came to know that the productivity of crops has reduced tremendously. The cropping pattern had also changed. They showed the white salts that were left from the previous years fertilizer application. I agree with you that until and unless the farmers change the prevailing agricultural practices things will only turn worse.

I haven't yet read the book one straw revolution but now it is on my list of books to be read and hope to read very soon.
Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.