Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
India has much developed with regard to the agricultural productivity from last few decades. Do you think we are getting equally good quality food products to purchase from the market as it is grown and cultivated on land?

No doubt we have improved a lot in agriculture field in last few years but still we are lagging behind other nations that is the reason we import many of the things from outside or may be the population factor and we don't be able to fulfill demand of the nation. :blink:

You have missed what I have written above. I have compared agricultural productivity of last few decades with the present productivity. I have never compared Indian technology with western technology and skills.
The growth in agriculture is owing to green revolution that stressed intensive farming. There is greater use of chemicals in agriculture. so, many feel that this is not so good for health. Our population has grown manifold since independence. we had even to import wheat. It is a matter of pride that we are self sufficient in food grains despite growth in population.

The agricultural products are checked for quality and AGMARKED. There are many corrupt elements in business and farming community as well as who may be adulterating food products and thus compromising with health. However, if customers care to see AGMARK symbol on agri products and buy the branded products, they will get good quality.

But AGMARK is not available for vegetables that we purchase from market.
Most sad thing is that they contain maximum amount of harmful pesticides and minerals..
To get high profit and quantity, they are compromising with quality. Most of the diseases including cancer, it's main reason is excess use of such substances.....I can't even imagine about the health of people after 10-20 years if things go like this.

It's true that farmers are highly dependent on chemical pesticides and fertilizers to increase their productivity. However nowadays, as people are also getting aware about their ill effects some farmers have taken up organic farming. They sell the products at comparatively higher price. And a consumer can always have the option to buy such organically grown vegetable.

A tablet...enough for killing a person......(I don't know its English name)......when bananas start to grow, farmers cut its end part and place one tablet inside it. They do the same thing for all bananas.....within days, the bananas will grow in size many fold than usual and farmers can sell them quickly earning high profits. :evil: :evil:
So, just think what are we eating :blink: :blink:

Meera sandhu
Earlier, green chillies were small in size. Nowadays we are getting big sized chillies....even a half is excess for making chutney. That much hot. How is it coming to market......? Just by adding something extra to small normal sized chillies......

labour charges is high in kerala......No one will get an employee to work below 500 rs per day and 2 times meal.
So, agriculture is a great loss in Kerala. that's why we are depending on our neighbouring states...everything is coming from Karnataka and Tamil Nadu. So, they make use of the situation...to earn high profits and less efforts.

Meera sandhu
Earlier, green chillies were small in size. Nowadays we are getting big sized chillies....even a half is excess for making chutney. That much hot. How is it coming to market......? Just by adding something extra to small normal sized chillies......

I am not sure about the situation in Kerala but nowadays , many hybrid varieties of food crops and vegetables are available in the market. They are more bigger, tastier and of course more productive. Many people feel that the production has been increased by adding chemicals but introduction of the hybrids have also done wonders!
Thank you said by: Sandhya Rani

I am not sure about the situation in Kerala but nowadays , many hybrid varieties of food crops and vegetables are available in the market. They are more bigger, tastier and of course more productive. Many people feel that the production has been increased by adding chemicals but introduction of the hybrids have also done wonders!

yes, it is also true. i really forget it.

Yet we can't deny the fact that instant production of vegetables and cereals are done through excess use of chemicals.

Meera sandhu

Yet we can't deny the fact that instant production of vegetables and cereals are done through excess use of chemicals.

Use of fertilizers and pesticides certainly boost the production of food grains and and other plants. But only when used adequately. If used in excess, it actually harms both the plants and the environment. It causes what is known as 'fertilizer burns' in plants.
Fertilizers and pesticides even if used in mild quantities to kill worms and pests, it can harm we people too...

Years before, it was great news in Kerala when some farmers used Coco cola as pesticide for their agricultural crops

Meera sandhu
Fertilizers and pesticides even if used in mild quantities to kill worms and pests, it can harm we people too...

Years before, it was great news in Kerala when some farmers used Coco cola as pesticide for their agricultural crops

:laugh: That's because some years back someone had analyzed coca-cola and found out that it contained a lot of different types of pesticides! Smart move because coca-cola probably contains more pure forms of pesticides than actual pesticides are as sold by the government. Recently there were many news of pesticides being ineffective because of their poor quality! :lol:

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Use of fertilizers and pesticides certainly boost the production of food grains and and other plants. But only when used adequately. If used in excess, it actually harms both the plants and the environment. It causes what is known as 'fertilizer burns' in plants.

Not to mention the havoc it plays on the quality of the soil. Excessive use of pesticides actually leaches out the essential nutrients and kill all nitrogen-producing microbes that are actually essential to a plant's healthy growth.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Not to mention the havoc it plays on the quality of the soil. Excessive use of pesticides actually leaches out the essential nutrients and kill all nitrogen-producing microbes that are actually essential to a plant's healthy growth.

yes, of course.
Later it demands more fertilizers for soil :angry: thus increasing its quantity again killing more and more nitrogen fixing bacteria :evil:

Meera sandhu
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.