Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
Sandhyaji kindly edit the above post. I have posted it wrongly. Now I have edited it. Some temples in the above list are not joytirlinga but they are lord shiva temples.

How is the Jyotirlinga temple different from the normal Lord Shiva's temple? From the other post I could understand that Lord Shiva is worshiped in the form of light. So, does it mean that they do not keep the normal shivalinga idol in Jyotirlinga temple?

Actually many Lord Shiva temple has mythological background. Thus they are more famous and considered as very powerful, having some supernatural power.
Other temples were just built by the people or by the government for religious purpose.

But that doesn't answer my question of how a Jyotirlinga temple is different from a normal Lord Shiva's temple?

Jabeen, it is different in the sense Jyothirlinga is supposed to look like a column of fire after a person becomes wiser or attains a certain amount of stature as a relgious believer...Jyothi means light.This is just a matter of faith and belief ,actually there is nothing to distinguish it from other Shiva lingas and when people claim to see light in a Jyothirlings you have no way of either agreeing or disagreeing ...

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Thank you said by: jabeen
Sandhyaji kindly edit the above post. I have posted it wrongly. Now I have edited it. Some temples in the above list are not joytirlinga but they are lord shiva temples.

How is the Jyotirlinga temple different from the normal Lord Shiva's temple? From the other post I could understand that Lord Shiva is worshiped in the form of light. So, does it mean that they do not keep the normal shivalinga idol in Jyotirlinga temple?

Actually many Lord Shiva temple has mythological background. Thus they are more famous and considered as very powerful, having some supernatural power.
Other temples were just built by the people or by the government for religious purpose.

But that doesn't answer my question of how a Jyotirlinga temple is different from a normal Lord Shiva's temple?

Jabeen, it is different in the sense Jyothirlinga is supposed to look like a column of fire after a person becomes wiser or attains a certain amount of stature as a relgious believer...Jyothi means light.This is just a matter of faith and belief ,actually there is nothing to distinguish it from other Shiva lingas and when people claim to see light in a Jyothirlings you have no way of either agreeing or disagreeing ...

So, it means structurally there is no difference between a normal Lord Shiva's temple and Jyotirlinga and is only based on the claim of some believers.I wonder if there are certain procedure that is followed before a Lord Shiva's temple is declared as Jyotirlinga?

So, it means structurally there is no difference between a normal Lord Shiva's temple and Jyotirlinga and is only based on the claim of some believers.I wonder if there are certain procedure that is followed before a Lord Shiva's temple is declared as Jyotirlinga?

Jabeen, these links give some more information about the temples..I personally am not a very religious person and tend to be critical when a claim is made , but again it is just a matter of faith where others are concerned , like the say faith moves mountains...the two links are quite informative and interesting..

http://www.shaivam.org/siddhanta/sp/spjyoti.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jyotirlinga

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

There are 12 Jyotirlinga in India.

Brief description:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jyotirlinga

Be positive
Friends I stay near by the Ganges. There is 12 lord shiva temple but they are not jyotirlinga. Very few people go there and worship lord Shiva. However it is neither famous nor popular because it is not jyotirlinga.
Friends it is behaviour of mankind to take advantage of everything which is good. If a linga is benefiting to them, they will worship there otherwise they will find other options. It is seen that many people change their caste and religion for the getting such advantages and benefits. That's thinking of people in this era.
In past all Kings and religious people have faith on God. They worship everywhere, where they see God. This practice is no longer see in general public of today.
Friends I stay near by the Ganges. There is 12 lord shiva temple but they are not jyotirlinga. Very few people go there and worship lord Shiva. However it is neither famous nor popular because it is not jyotirlinga.

It's not important that a siva temple should be jyothirlinga if it needs to be famous. If so, only 12 temples of Siva will be famous, not all :evil:

Vadakkumnatha temple of Thrissur is the most famous Siva temple of Kerala.
According to stories, this is the first temple built by Parasurama, the sixth incarnation of Vishnu
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vadakkunnathan_Temple

Meera sandhu
Thank you said by: Devyani Sarkar
I visited only Rameshwaram planned to go for another. It's very nice to visit such a places.
Recently I visited two of the jyotirlinga temples: :)

Omkareshwar & Mahakaleshwar. It was nice to visit them specially the Omkareshwar which is situated on the bank of Narmada river. :)
All these temples are really beautiful.It attracts lots of people everyday.

Sharmistha Banerjee
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.