Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
I am one of them who always follow my heart (Do not say - I am only of my kind)
Perhaps that is one of the reasons, I am not popular person. I follow my heart and act accordingly.

Lol, I just lost a 800 words reply due to internet failure.

Anyways, will try to sum it up.

Like I said in my previous post, it is not possible at all. Consider the following scenario:

You are at a party and your friends ask you to smoke. They want you also to be the part of the group and try for the first time. Your heart says, one cigarette is no biggie, lets try. But you know it is bad and your parents have forbidden you to smoke. WIll you still smoke (I know many will, but there are also few who won't)

Now consider this. Your heart tells you, lets go to disco tonight. You are all set. As soon as you leave, your parents call you that you have to go to station to receive guests. Would you still go to the disco.

Suppose you always wanted to write a book. And you did write it. Now your heart tells you, lets try to get it published. Most authgors would not heed to this call from heart for fear of rejection. And some authors would stop trying after few rejections. Remember, your heart told you to keep trying.

Also, "I always follow my heart" is a myth. We live in a society and as such we always have to act within reason.

One more myth is that our heart is always right. If that were true, we would not be needing guidance or advice then would we?

Follow your heart is a poetic sentence and it's true meaning translate to "Act on the knowledge you have/receive"

Basically it tells you to remove self doubt. If you have the knowledge and skill to be a writer, follow your heart would mean to act on the knowledge you have till you are successful.

I wish you knew me better than you do. I would not- I repeat I would not do any thing unless my heart permits me- come what may

For me follow your heart stands for - do what you think is best for you and your loved ones..

Your very response says that you are keen follower of the diktats of your heart.
Lol, I am pretty amazed by the replies.

Firstly, when I started this thread it was meant for people to discuss the problems/issues they face when they want to do something they love but can't for whatever reason. The idea was to brainstorm on that problem collectively and hopefully solve a few issues.

But from the replies, I am sensing a lot of prejudice and judgment. Honestly don't know why. And I still maintain that "Always following your heart is impossible". And sometimes it is for the better I must add.

And for anyone to think they always follow their heart, I think we both are following different definitions and interpreting it differently.

I follow my heart as well but there is still a human limit attach to it and I accept it. That makes me try more things.

Also, I see most people generalizing about following the heart. In general, everyone does.

What I was requesting of everyone was to micro analyze themselves and see what is stopping them.

I still find it hard to believe that people don't get a moment of laziness, self doubt, anxiety, nervousness even for a second.

Honestly, I could go on and on, on this topic, but it is really not a debate thread. It is more of a self improvement thread (or I thought it was when I started) where people could share their problems, brainstorm it and discuss solutions.

On a final note, I am not judging any one or directly making a remark on someone. We all are unique with different talent and abilities and we all interpret the events differently and describe them differently. So whether anyone follows their heart or not, I am not concerned with that (Me believing you or not won't affect anyone's reality), what I am concerned with is your problems and if I can (or anyone for that matter here) help you solve it.

@Suni - Believe me knowing you more would have made no difference. I've had this conversation with my dad, childhood friends and everyone I know, and they all like to believe that they follow their heart but I still disagree.

I also believe that our disagreement has to do more with the degree to which we are evaluating it. You are generalising the statement to all the major decisions of your life and it fits true. No doubt. While I am evaluating it at a micro level on a though by thought basis. Let me give you an example(real life example)

One day while travelling in the train, a passenger hit me with his bag while boarding the train. At that very moment, my heart instructed me to give to tight slap on his face or atleast abuse him. But I did not as he did not do it intentionally and he apologized and I calmed my mind (heart) down.

Now would you have hit the person in this scenario. I bet you would not. Now, please don't say that you would not have felt a bit angry and your heart would have automatically thought to be calm and not react. We are not made that way. We are humans.

So if you think of this on a thought by thought basis, "I always follow my heart" is not possible and it is good in some cases actually.

For example, if you let a small child to let his heart's will he will play all day, eat chocolates, fight, will never learn to apologize etc. That is why parents impose discipline, teach them how to behave, give them the KNOWLEDGE necessary for heart to make the choice.

I also said that "I always follow my heart" is a poetic statement and it's true interpretation is "Act on the Knowledge you have received"

I again stand by the above statement. Give me any example where you think you have acted on your heart's will and I will tell you that you simply acted on the information that your heart (mind) had.

That is why we participate in the forums, read books, gain knowledge, seek advice etc. Because this is how our heart knows how to make an informed choice.

P.S. I just want to reiterate that there is nothing to take personally. I respect everyone's view point and in the end, we can all agree to disagree. But really, here I think we all are on the same page, it is just that everyone is interpreting the statements according to one's level of comfort.
@Arun- I know what you mean but to be very frank for me it certainly is a personal matter. I agree with you to the extent that small matters like I change my mind in case I am going to bathroom and some one calls me to stop for a moment, I certainly would stop to listen to him but as I said when I have decided to do some thing that would be a rare scenario if I would back out from that.
As for hitting some one in a train while some one did it accidentally would be too funny, however if it was intentional- you never know. Cheers. Thanks for wonderful explanation. And sure, nothing personal as usual, we are here only to exchange our view points.

I love this free image hosting site for sharing my work

https://o0.nz/

Hmm...This is truth that there are times that we can't do things which we think by heart for me the reasons are the society, lack of confidence,fear of failures.fear of losing our owns.
Not always but occasionally not follow my heart because I feel in time that following brain is more convenient.
I have number of times didn't follow my heart.. :huh: but never regret for doing so.. The reasons are similar fear for missing loved ones, uncertainty whether we are going in wrong way or right way and finally priorities in life... :)

Another big issues that bothers me is if any one hurts me or my feeling then I follow my heart.. I don't know why I just satisfy my heart in such situations :laugh: by avoiding them completely. But this habit is really bothering me and I want to overcome it.

I am not trying to overcome other things that interrupt me in listening to my heart as I feel that in our life every-time listening to heart is not feasible as sometimes brain has to be used for instant solutions. I also observed that instant solutions are difficult to achieve if we follow our heart... it is just my opinion.. :)
The question is self explanatory. So tell me what is your excuse to not do what you want to do. Please don't tell me that you always follow your heart. No single person on the planet can say that.

I ask you this because, we at subconscious level choose to ignore this question as bringing this up would disturb our inner peace. But I would really want you to think of it, as most problems can be solved with little effort, you just have to know what's stopping you really.

Okk, I will start with myself. My excuse of not following my heart or to do something new is :

1. Laziness

2. Lack of self belief (sometimes)

These are my primary two reasons. I plan to overcome them by doing something new for atleast an hour even if I don't like the activity.

What's you excuse and have you thought as to how would you overcome them?

In my case self-belief has not been an issue but the other one was very much there years back!!
The question is self explanatory. So tell me what is your excuse to not do what you want to do. Please don't tell me that you always follow your heart. No single person on the planet can say that.

I ask you this because, we at subconscious level choose to ignore this question as bringing this up would disturb our inner peace. But I would really want you to think of it, as most problems can be solved with little effort, you just have to know what's stopping you really.

Okk, I will start with myself. My excuse of not following my heart or to do something new is :

1. Laziness

2. Lack of self belief (sometimes)

These are my primary two reasons. I plan to overcome them by doing something new for atleast an hour even if I don't like the activity.

What's you excuse and have you thought as to how would you overcome them?

In my case self-belief has not been an issue but the other one was very much there years back!!

I don't know about others but I cannot follow my heart all the time for a number of reasons...First of all , there are considerations other than myself .I have not done things even when I was 100% sure about them simply because other issues came in the way and when I look back, I feel that I should have stood firm and gone ahead with it. But in retrospect it is easy to say that...

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.