Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
It is all profit making and corruption that caused several deaths in Thane where a building collapsed. Is this any way less heinous than terrorism?.

http://zeenews.india.com/news/maharashtra/thane-building-collapse-accused-builders-produced-before-court_840249.html

Apparently many politicians and bureaucrats are involved since permission was granted without going to details...one must see how many would be implicated ? given the elections are round the corner and nothing seems to work in this blessed country during such times..

Right from the beginning, 100s of rules and regulations were flaunted while constructing this building, the residents say that this 7-storey building was completed from 0 to end in 5 months! Just think how many safety norms were thrown in the dustbin! :blink:

Even a more scary scenario is to think how many more such buildings are there in Mumbai and in other cities as well....

In Mumbai and nearby Thane alone, there are estimated to be at least 70,000 such illegal buildings! There is an unusually large nexus at work which involves hi-level politicians, builders and bueraucrats everywhere.

The builders and others directly associated become the fall guys while the more high profile ones get way because they wold have taken care to see that their involvement does not figure anywhere ...

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

It is all profit making and corruption that caused several deaths in Thane where a building collapsed. Is this any way less heinous than terrorism?.

http://zeenews.india.com/news/maharashtra/thane-building-collapse-accused-builders-produced-before-court_840249.html

Apparently many politicians and bureaucrats are involved since permission was granted without going to details...one must see how many would be implicated ? given the elections are round the corner and nothing seems to work in this blessed country during such times..

Right from the beginning, 100s of rules and regulations were flaunted while constructing this building, the residents say that this 7-storey building was completed from 0 to end in 5 months! Just think how many safety norms were thrown in the dustbin! :blink:

Even a more scary scenario is to think how many more such buildings are there in Mumbai and in other cities as well....

In Mumbai and nearby Thane alone, there are estimated to be at least 70,000 such illegal buildings! There is an unusually large nexus at work which involves hi-level politicians, builders and bueraucrats everywhere.

The builders and others directly associated become the fall guys while the more high profile ones get way because they wold have taken care to see that their involvement does not figure anywhere ...

That happens most often. And after this particular incident, it has also come to light that such buildings are constructed using black money generated from politicos! In fact construction is a business that generates the maximum amount of black money in the country and yet strict regulations and standards are totally missing in relation to such businesses.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

It is definitely more heinous than terrorism. The terrorists might have some agenda to support their cause but this is pure selfish activity just for the sake of making money. At least 9 of them were arrested including the suspended deputy commissioner of Thane Municipal Corporation but the sad thing is that such heinous acts will take many more lives and we can only sit and watch.

Exactly this is more serious issue which one should take care of. I feel buliders these days don't use proper material just to earn more profits which is really a sad part as they don't bother about the lives of people if such a bad accident happens in the building. There should be some bench mark and someone should check whether the new constructions going in the cities are really worth to live in. :blink:

As an engineer you should know that everything is standardized when constructing a building. The matter even becomes more serious when the land is wet and needs deeper plinth. The builder used half size of required thickness of steel, foundation was only one third than required 22 to 24 feet. They did not follow many other required measures associated with such huge construction.

I agree there are certain standards which must be followed during construction but the thing is who checks it if the construction is done as per these standards. Believe me here people don't bother to check it they just give a contract to the builder and leave every thing on him and bulider just for his profit does everything worng. :evil:
It is definitely more heinous than terrorism. The terrorists might have some agenda to support their cause but this is pure selfish activity just for the sake of making money. At least 9 of them were arrested including the suspended deputy commissioner of Thane Municipal Corporation but the sad thing is that such heinous acts will take many more lives and we can only sit and watch.

Exactly this is more serious issue which one should take care of. I feel buliders these days don't use proper material just to earn more profits which is really a sad part as they don't bother about the lives of people if such a bad accident happens in the building. There should be some bench mark and someone should check whether the new constructions going in the cities are really worth to live in. :blink:

As an engineer you should know that everything is standardized when constructing a building. The matter even becomes more serious when the land is wet and needs deeper plinth. The builder used half size of required thickness of steel, foundation was only one third than required 22 to 24 feet. They did not follow many other required measures associated with such huge construction.

I agree there are certain standards which must be followed during construction but the thing is who checks it if the construction is done as per these standards. Believe me here people don't bother to check it they just give a contract to the builder and leave every thing on him and bulider just for his profit does everything worng. :evil:

Exactly! Standards and norms are established for each and every thing, business in India, but what is not there is presence of honest and sincere regulatory body who will oversee that all such norms are adhered to. Usually it is in the hands of government bureaucrats to ensure such things but they are all either too corrupt that they turn a blind eye to the wrong procedures or they are too pressured by the politicos to do anything about it!

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Thank you said by: Sanjeev Gupta

Having standards is fine. But who cares to follow them? And if everything is left on the contractors and builders, they try to finish off the work as early as possible and also use cheap quality material to save on costs. The rest is their's.

Having standards is fine. But who cares to follow them? And if everything is left on the contractors and builders, they try to finish off the work as early as possible and also use cheap quality material to save on costs. The rest is their's.

Yes there should be someone who strictly check if these standards are not met then only we can get rid of such incidents otherwise more incidents would occur in future too. :evil:

Yes there should be someone who strictly check if these standards are not met then only we can get rid of such incidents otherwise more incidents would occur in future too. :evil:

There have been such incidents occurring in the past and they won't stop occurring in the future. It is important that the tendency changes. Being strict is just not enough.

There have been such incidents occurring in the past and they won't stop occurring in the future. It is important that the tendency changes. Being strict is just not enough.

Then what do you think what should be done to stop such incidents?. :blink:

I know its very tough to stop these but certainly they may be reduced someone has to take them seriously. :blink:
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.