Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
Marriage of the youth is natural and that of the elderly is odd. If somebody has stayed single till advanced age, he can happily die unmarried. But this is issue with the widows and widowers. They need to marry again in old age. But I prefer friendship and not marriage at fag end of life.

But Sir, I have not used the term 'marriage' the way it is understood conventionally!! Marriage of feelings and ideas is too marriage!! :blink: :blink: :blink:

I agree with Gulshanji. Many problems crop up when two people get married. They need to do commitments and follow the basic principles of marriage. Following each and every customs and rituals is not possible in old age. In old age, couples become good friends. Question of love affair has no space in old lives. Moreover friendship sounds better and it is accepted by all. After all we live in civilisation and not alone.

The simple basic and fundamental principle of any marriage, be it old or young, is trust, love and a feeling of togetherness. This is enough for any kind of marriage and when these basic things are fulfilled there remains no need for following any customs or traditions which are designed only for enjoyment of others who participate in weddings. For an elderly couple, a simple civil ceremony is enough, actually that even is not really needed but we are too much in love with making things complicated so we talk about customs, rituals, traditions etc. which are actually pointless in my opinion!

You are correct to a great extent. However I have never seen any marriage without ceremonies and rituals. It is part of Indian culture.

A civil marriage before the Marriage Registrar is without any kind of ceremonies and rituals and is the most legally valid version, this is the type of marriage my and my husband chose! The Indian culture that we talk about is a different ball game together and most of customs are designed with keeping in mind benefits of only one party and not another, hence it is not a fair kind of marriage, in my opinion!

I too agree that the more you simplify the better ! A court marriage and a small get together for close relatives and friends is more than enough to celebrtate a marriage. Among the older people , you may not even need that since the very fact that they have decided to be together is good enough ...

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar
Marriage of the youth is natural and that of the elderly is odd. If somebody has stayed single till advanced age, he can happily die unmarried. But this is issue with the widows and widowers. They need to marry again in old age. But I prefer friendship and not marriage at fag end of life.

But Sir, I have not used the term 'marriage' the way it is understood conventionally!! Marriage of feelings and ideas is too marriage!! :blink: :blink: :blink:

I agree with Gulshanji. Many problems crop up when two people get married. They need to do commitments and follow the basic principles of marriage. Following each and every customs and rituals is not possible in old age. In old age, couples become good friends. Question of love affair has no space in old lives. Moreover friendship sounds better and it is accepted by all. After all we live in civilisation and not alone.

The simple basic and fundamental principle of any marriage, be it old or young, is trust, love and a feeling of togetherness. This is enough for any kind of marriage and when these basic things are fulfilled there remains no need for following any customs or traditions which are designed only for enjoyment of others who participate in weddings. For an elderly couple, a simple civil ceremony is enough, actually that even is not really needed but we are too much in love with making things complicated so we talk about customs, rituals, traditions etc. which are actually pointless in my opinion!

You are correct to a great extent. However I have never seen any marriage without ceremonies and rituals. It is part of Indian culture.

A civil marriage before the Marriage Registrar is without any kind of ceremonies and rituals and is the most legally valid version, this is the type of marriage my and my husband chose! The Indian culture that we talk about is a different ball game together and most of customs are designed with keeping in mind benefits of only one party and not another, hence it is not a fair kind of marriage, in my opinion!

I too agree that the more you simplify the better ! A court marriage and a small get together for close relatives and friends is more than enough to celebrtate a marriage. Among the older people , you may not even need that since the very fact that they have decided to be together is good enough ...

Exactly! Also we have to see that times are now changing and most things including people too have changed. So just gathering hundreds of people and spending enormous amounts of money feeding people who you are never going to meet seems to be a pointless endeavour! That money can be better spent on something more useful! Where old people are concerned, we need to respect their need for companionship and the way they choose to get it, is best left to them. We need to see this issue with a more humane and mature eyes!

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Thank you said by: usha manohar
If both tobe spouses are ready for marriage then it is ok, but if China as country is forcing elderly marriages then it is bad, as China perceived to be implementing policies in iron hand as it feels from outside,

http://mohanmekap.com/

If both tobe spouses are ready for marriage then it is ok, but if China as country is forcing elderly marriages then it is bad, as China perceived to be implementing policies in iron hand as it feels from outside,

I dont think it is forcing only encouraging the elderly people to marry and find partners for themselves so that they have someone to share and care during their old age...China is of course known for its iron hand while implementing many of their policies..

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Thank you said by: mohan manohar

I dont think it is forcing only encouraging the elderly people to marry and find partners for themselves so that they have someone to share and care during their old age...China is of course known for its iron hand while implementing many of their policies..

True...they will use iron hand in enforcing something that will benefit them but this is an issue which implemented or not, will not make any difference to the govt. so they are only encouraging the elderly to get together for their own benefit!

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Thank you said by: mohan manohar
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.