Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
China is officially encouraging it. In Shanghai alone 40000 men and women of advancing age have enrolled themselves with match-makers!! But we Indians always take a dim view of such happenings. Sons and daughters may welcome the pensions of their aged parents and pretend to the outside world how caring are they!! But talk of love and marriage -- no,no, never!!! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

What the Chinese government is doing is very practical. In India it is all to do with the mind set of people and our society ! However, I see quite a few elderly people who have no spouses either because they are dead or seperated marrying agian or finding a partner ! I am sure there are a lot of criticisms by the relatives but if they go ahead without caring for it things will stabilise....

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

This is a very commendable move on their part. The number of elderly people in China is quite high as compared to youth population because of their strict one-child policy a couple of decades ago. In subsequent years, many couples lost their children and/or spouses to a number of natural causes such as floods and earthquakes as a result leaving many elderly and lonely people. encouraging them to find partners and get married is a very very good move! In India also numbers of such lonely people are increasing, but since we are hypocrites to the core, we look upon such issues with a frown. :blink: mostly for fear of losing the pension money to the spouse of our parent! All we talk of love and care etc. etc. but never help them look for it! :blink:

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Thank you said by: Devyani Sarkar
Marriage of the youth is natural and that of the elderly is odd. If somebody has stayed single till advanced age, he can happily die unmarried. But this is issue with the widows and widowers. They need to marry again in old age. But I prefer friendship and not marriage at fag end of life.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

Thank you said by: Devyani Sarkar
Marriage of the youth is natural and that of the elderly is odd. If somebody has stayed single till advanced age, he can happily die unmarried. But this is issue with the widows and widowers. They need to marry again in old age. But I prefer friendship and not marriage at fag end of life.

There is difference in marriage in youth and during old age, but in the later part of life it is all about companionship and friendship only and not about what the marriage during youth involves. Of course one may choose friendship over marriage but getting married will mean a more solid and concrete nature of the relationship.

But Sir, I have not used the term 'marriage' the way it is understood conventionally!! Marriage of feelings and ideas is too marriage!! :blink: :blink: :blink:

But Sir, I have not used the term 'marriage' the way it is understood conventionally!! Marriage of feelings and ideas is too marriage!! :blink: :blink: :blink:

I agree with Gulshanji. Many problems crop up when two people get married. They need to do commitments and follow the basic principles of marriage. Following each and every customs and rituals is not possible in old age. In old age, couples become good friends. Question of love affair has no space in old lives. Moreover friendship sounds better and it is accepted by all. After all we live in civilisation and not alone.

I agree with Gulshanji. Many problems crop up when two people get married. They need to do commitments and follow the basic principles of marriage. Following each and every customs and rituals is not possible in old age. In old age, couples become good friends. Question of love affair has no space in old lives. Moreover friendship sounds better and it is accepted by all. After all we live in civilisation and not alone.

The simple basic and fundamental principle of any marriage, be it old or young, is trust, love and a feeling of togetherness. This is enough for any kind of marriage and when these basic things are fulfilled there remains no need for following any customs or traditions which are designed only for enjoyment of others who participate in weddings. For an elderly couple, a simple civil ceremony is enough, actually that even is not really needed but we are too much in love with making things complicated so we talk about customs, rituals, traditions etc. which are actually pointless in my opinion!

The simple basic and fundamental principle of any marriage, be it old or young, is trust, love and a feeling of togetherness. This is enough for any kind of marriage and when these basic things are fulfilled there remains no need for following any customs or traditions which are designed only for enjoyment of others who participate in weddings. For an elderly couple, a simple civil ceremony is enough, actually that even is not really needed but we are too much in love with making things complicated so we talk about customs, rituals, traditions etc. which are actually pointless in my opinion!

You are correct to a great extent. However I have never seen any marriage without ceremonies and rituals. It is part of Indian culture.

Thank you sir for elucidation. But I have very little knowledge of literature and idioms. My understanding is limited to ordinary meaning only.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

You are correct to a great extent. However I have never seen any marriage without ceremonies and rituals. It is part of Indian culture.

A civil marriage before the Marriage Registrar is without any kind of ceremonies and rituals and is the most legally valid version, this is the type of marriage my and my husband chose! The Indian culture that we talk about is a different ball game together and most of customs are designed with keeping in mind benefits of only one party and not another, hence it is not a fair kind of marriage, in my opinion!

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.