Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
It is after the return of Putin to power in Russia, more restrictions have been imposed on the press and there have been incidents of attacks against reporters in several parts of country. Internet resources do have many news updates but even today, news on internet also goes through censorship and may not be completely reliable and accurate. Also I wish to bring to notice that we in India or elsewhere in the world, are more prone to look for news about USA, UK and China only and give less importance to news from other countries!

Here is an article I found about press freedom in Russia, who really read seriously will find it interesting!

http://www.freedomhouse.org/report/freedom-press/2013/russia#.UuX2RPu6Zkg

Good update. But I wonder why Russia feels the need for high levels of secrecy as far as news is concerned. What is the country up to?

Mala Jaiswar
It is after the return of Putin to power in Russia, more restrictions have been imposed on the press and there have been incidents of attacks against reporters in several parts of country. Internet resources do have many news updates but even today, news on internet also goes through censorship and may not be completely reliable and accurate. Also I wish to bring to notice that we in India or elsewhere in the world, are more prone to look for news about USA, UK and China only and give less importance to news from other countries!

Here is an article I found about press freedom in Russia, who really read seriously will find it interesting!

Thanks for an informative article. Russia was never known for its transparency in any sphere. The article delves in detail how the already repressive press freedom further touched low after the return of Putin in 2012 to presidency.
Though the constitution provides freedom of press, officials made use of the corruptive judicial system as the tool to snub and harass the journalists who question and dare the government policies.
Don’t you think , here at home the situation is similar to Russian repressive ways ?
Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar

Thanks for an informative article. Russia was never known for its transparency in any sphere. The article delves in detail how the already repressive press freedom further touched low after the return of Putin in 2012 to presidency.
Though the constitution provides freedom of press, officials made use of the corruptive judicial system as the tool to snub and harass the journalists who question and dare the government policies.
Don’t you think , here at home the situation is similar to Russian repressive ways ?

I have no doubts that situation in our country is heading towards similarly repressive ways, what with even cartoonists getting prosecuted for their political cartoons criticising prominent politicians.

@Mala, I am not sure about what Russia is up to, but secrecy has always been their prime focus!

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

I think foreigners are now prohibited from entering into their country for the purpose of news and broadcasting.

There are many news websites like Pravda, Moscow times to name a few which give News about Russia. But all that appears is censored news. Russia doesn’t enjoy press freedom as much as we do in India.

Few years back I have heard that Russia is a country where of and on civil war takes place. Many Indian were deported back to India. Military rule become prevalent in the country. Restriction is more due to sudden war and terrorism.
Most of news from Russia in internet is published through their local domains such as dot ru, and news can be searched in their local news search engine such as Yandex, there are plenty of news there, it is the problem with Indian news agencies why there are not collecting news from these sources?

There are their official websites like Pravda , which publishe news about Russia but all of it is censored news.
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.