Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
@ rambabu -
Ugadi is being celebrated in AP today. Here are my advance Ugadi greetings to you and your family.

We celebrate Ugadi on the 14th of April every year, however I wish Happy Ugadi to all the members who clebrate it today... :)

Is the date 14th April fixed ? We have a few families from Karnataka living in our neighbourhood and they celebrate Gudi Padwa exactly like us today, so how come yours is on a different day?

In Karnataka too, people celebrate Ugadi on this day ( Chandramana Ugadi ) but a few communities in Mangalore ,Coorg and North Kanara celebrate it on the 14th of April ( Sauramana Ugadi) which is a fixed day every year !

Oh ok! I get it, So you celebrate the Sauramana Ugadi which coincides with the movement of the sun, isn't it?

Yes Kalyani we do, in fact even Krishna ashtami is celebrated differently here ...on two different days by different followers ...again for the same reason !

Yes , I had read about Krishna Ashtami, but did not know about Ugadi being celebrated on two different days in the same state! It is almost like the Bohris celebrating eid one day prior to the Shia and Sunni Muslims! I guess such minor differences will always be there in a country so vast and diverse! :cheer:

A few communities in Tamilnadu and all Thulu speaking people celebrate Ugadi on the 14th of April every year....I have a feeling it has to do with agricultural season as well ! We have the custom of bringing in tender paddy kernels into the house on that day and it is ready only during then.... :)

I wonder how these practices vary from place to place. For us in AP Mango is the main ingredient of Ugadi celebrations. We make a Prasadam consisting of 'Shad Ruchis" or 6 tastes that represent the lives of the people. Then it is followed by "Panchanga Sravanam" where in the Pundits predict the possible happenings during the new year.

I feel that festivals also reflect the life style of the people in a particular region and the practices too have evolved depending on nature and what is prevalent at that time...We too adorn the house with mango leaves and marigold flowerss both of which are available in plenty on Ugadi day...

True. Festivals are linked with the life styles of the people. That's why Sankranti is represented with "Poorna Khumbham' over flowing the rice preparation. This is due to the reason By Sankranti farmers complete the their farming works and the gathering of rice starts.
Happy New Year to all for 31st March!!!!I

I Agree with Usha ji that 15th april is also new year since in Kerala it is celebrated as Vishu festival (The astrological new year)

The most important event in Vishu is the 'Vishukkani'. Vishukkani means sighting the most auspicious thing at dawn on the Vishu day for being lucky throughout the year. The previous day, we arrange on a plate all items like new clothes, gold, jewelry, coins, new notes, etc and place it before the idol of Krishna.So early morning (dawn) of Vishu, we close our eyes and walk towards the idol and sight the items. We have fireworks, gifting money to servants and also siblings and lavish lunch called as Vishu Sadhya consisting of 28 items bringing out 4 tastes (sweet, sour, bitter and spicy) just as in ugadi pachadi.

It is wonderful to celebrate many new years especially if we belong to different states. On 31st, I celebrated the new year with my would be Parents-in-laws....we prepared 'Pooran poli' , 'ugadi pachadi' and also brought new clothes. On 15th April, I will celebrate with my parents with Vishu sadhya.

Anyone want to join me for Vishu.....

Swetha Shenoy

I Agree with Usha ji that 15th april is also new year since in Kerala it is celebrated as Vishu festival (The astrological new year)

The most important event in Vishu is the 'Vishukkani'. Vishukkani means sighting the most auspicious thing at dawn on the Vishu day for being lucky throughout the year. The previous day, we arrange on a plate all items like new clothes, gold, jewelry, coins, new notes, etc and place it before the idol of Krishna.So early morning (dawn) of Vishu, we close our eyes and walk towards the idol and sight the items. We have fireworks, gifting money to servants and also siblings and lavish lunch called as Vishu Sadhya consisting of 28 items bringing out 4 tastes (sweet, sour, bitter and spicy) just as in ugadi pachadi.

It is wonderful to celebrate many new years especially if we belong to different states. On 31st, I celebrated the new year with my would be Parents-in-laws....we prepared 'Pooran poli' , 'ugadi pachadi' and also brought new clothes. On 15th April, I will celebrate with my parents with Vishu sadhya.

Swagatam Swetha. Ugadi Pachchadi consists of 6 tastes. They are known as 'Shadruchi", means 6 tastes.

That's great, celebrating new year twice, thrice really counting 31st December! :) So you all prepare pooran poli too? and what exactly does ugadi pacchadi consist of? For Gudi padwa I prepared the naivedya for Gudi which consisted of tender neem leaves and flowers, coriander seeds, ajwain, black salt, little jaggery and a little tamarind. We grind this and eat it on gudi padwa. Is it the same what you had?

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Yes ....we have a mix of 6 tastes for ugadi pachadi..

1. jaggery for sweet taste (signifying joy)
2. green chilly for hot taste (signifying anger)
3. raw mango for tang taste(signifying an element of surprise)
4. tamarind for sour taste (signifying disgust)
5. flowers of neem leaves for bitter taste (signifying sorrow)
6. salt for saltiness (signifying fear)

We added bananas too. Basically we first boil the water with tamarind (to get the cooked taste of tamarind) then add the other ingredients. it is taken in as a form of soup or more watery depending upon the taste of the family. (some families make the pachadi so thick that it tastes like custard)

Swetha Shenoy
Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar
Yes ....we have a mix of 6 tastes for ugadi pachadi..

1. jaggery for sweet taste (signifying joy)
2. green chilly for hot taste (signifying anger)
3. raw mango for tang taste(signifying an element of surprise)
4. tamarind for sour taste (signifying disgust)
5. flowers of neem leaves for bitter taste (signifying sorrow)
6. salt for saltiness (signifying fear)

We added bananas too. Basically we first boil the water with tamarind (to get the cooked taste of tamarind) then add the other ingredients. it is taken in as a form of soup or more watery depending upon the taste of the family. (some families make the pachadi so thick that it tastes like custard)

Being a resident of Hyderabad, you are aware if the 6 tastes of Ugadi Pachchadi. And after putting the necessary ingredients, additions are optional. And now a days Ugadi Pachchadi has undergone many changes.
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.