Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
Owing to these practical difficulties pertaining to language, it's always safe to use gestural communication. Bowing down the head with a smile will do all the good under the sun.
Owing to these practical difficulties pertaining to language, it's always safe to use gestural communication. Bowing down the head with a smile will do all the good under the sun.

Here I am tempted to narrate my personal experience in Tezpur Assam. This is about different language and not exactly relevant to the thread. I was new and did not know Assamese. But soon I understood that whenever some body talked, he was either asking about time by my watch or way to some destinatrion. I could obiously be of no help about guiding on routes. So I assumed that th person wanted to know time. So if any one said any thing, I would ust tell time. I also learnet how to tell time in Assamese. So, if this was fifteen past five, I would just say- panch tah pandrah. Then I would walk away.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

Here I am tempted to narrate my personal experience in Tezpur Assam. This is about different language and not exactly relevant to the thread. I was new and did not know Assamese. But soon I understood that whenever some body talked, he was either asking about time by my watch or way to some destinatrion. I could obiously be of no help about guiding on routes. So I assumed that th person wanted to know time. So if any one said any thing, I would ust tell time. I also learnet how to tell time in Assamese. So, if this was fifteen past five, I would just say- panch tah pandrah. Then I would walk away.

That's a good way of communicating when you are not having the knowledge of a language. I feel the best and unharming way of communication is Body language when we have no knowledge of the local language.
In Karnataka in some villages and among certain communities there is a custom of referring to small children as Devru ( god) which continues to adulthood . I was shocked once when a third rate criminal was referred to as Devru by his family in print and later came to know that it was one such case where his childhhod name had got extended into his adult life ..

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

In Karnataka in some villages and among certain communities there is a custom of referring to small children as Devru ( god) which continues to adulthood . I was shocked once when a third rate criminal was referred to as Devru by his family in print and later came to know that it was one such case where his childhhod name had got extended into his adult life ..

Well, Shakespeare did say what's in a name after all! but such examples do cause a lot chagrin and amusement when criminals are addressed in such manner as is customary in their language! :blink:

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Now the generations knows only these words uncle,aunt,Anna. If a person loss hair that may be girl or boy in earlier age people will call them as uncle or aunt. This is very annoying.

Well, Shakespeare did say what's in a name after all! but such examples do cause a lot chagrin and amusement when criminals are addressed in such manner as is customary in their language! :blink:

Some customs are funny and become complicated to others like in Egypt in olden times Husband called his wife sister and Wife called the husnband brother. I am told that in some smaller sects they still have this habit of doing so...One can imagine the confusion it may cause when others hear this :P

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Some customs are funny and become complicated to others like in Egypt in olden times Husband called his wife sister and Wife called the husnband brother. I am told that in some smaller sects they still have this habit of doing so...One can imagine the confusion it may cause when others hear this :P

This is something totally new..what you have written about Egypt, which must be history by now...but a shocking revelation to me.

“A mistake is a crash-course in learning” – Billy Anderson

In AP also such funny names are there. A similar name for god in Telugu is Devudu. Devudu is the name of a street urchin who makes living by begging. We used to say, " Devudu came for begging. Give him alms."

This is something totally new..what you have written about Egypt, which must be history by now...but a shocking revelation to me.

In Gujarat it is common for husbands to add 'behn' after their wive's first name and for wives to add 'bhai' after their husband's name and there is no confusion. It is an accepted practice. However non Gujaratis do find it odd initially. The present CM is known as Anandiben.
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.