Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
In India, addressing even stranger by some relation is icommon. Bahin ji, mataji, chacha, baba are tau are well known forms of address. With use of English, many addrss as 'uncle', 'auntie'. However, it is annoying some one himself of your age addreeing you as uncle/ aunt. Personally, I dislike such use. I address all men as 'sir' and women as 'madam'. More intimate forms of address are for those already known. .

I personally prefer to use "ji". In this respect I love the Lucknowi style of addressing. We have a rich cultural linguistic heritage. We need not borrow other ways of addressing from foreign languages.

But then if we stuck to our own traditions, we would become outdated! :blink: :blink: Calling each other especially people of same age as bahanji, bhaisahab is acceptable and polite. But calling each married lady as aunty and grown men, even young men as uncle is quite beyond logic and rather silly!

Suffixing 'Ji' will not bring the age factor. In Lucknowi dialect, even the youngsters are also addressed with a suffix Ji.

In Lucknow tradition, you will add 'junab' for men and 'mohatarama' for women. Lucknow tradition is muslim.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

In India, addressing even stranger by some relation is icommon. Bahin ji, mataji, chacha, baba are tau are well known forms of address. With use of English, many addrss as 'uncle', 'auntie'. However, it is annoying some one himself of your age addreeing you as uncle/ aunt. Personally, I dislike such use. I address all men as 'sir' and women as 'madam'. More intimate forms of address are for those already known. .

I personally prefer to use "ji". In this respect I love the Lucknowi style of addressing. We have a rich cultural linguistic heritage. We need not borrow other ways of addressing from foreign languages.

But then if we stuck to our own traditions, we would become outdated! :blink: :blink: Calling each other especially people of same age as bahanji, bhaisahab is acceptable and polite. But calling each married lady as aunty and grown men, even young men as uncle is quite beyond logic and rather silly!

Suffixing 'Ji' will not bring the age factor. In Lucknowi dialect, even the youngsters are also addressed with a suffix Ji.

In Lucknow tradition, you will add 'junab' for men and 'mohatarama' for women. Lucknow tradition is muslim.

May be. The point I wanted to drive home is, Lucknow tradition will not bring the age factor which annoys people.

May be. The point I wanted to drive home is, Lucknow tradition will not bring the age factor which annoys people.

Again I may refer to age factor in Lucknow tradition (tahzeeb). We may use 'junab' and 'mohatarama' for sebiors and 'azeez' for children.

Thank you said by: rambabu, usha manohar

Again I may refer to age factor in Lucknow tradition (tahzeeb). We may use 'junab' and 'mohatarama' for sebiors and 'azeez' for children.

Good information sir. I heard Azeez is being used for elders also to indicate "Dear".
Thank you said by: Gulshan Kumar Ajmani
When certain terms are used and accepted with mutual respect it is a different matter altogether but when words are used in a meaningless manner it can be annoying ..

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

To be honest Amitabh Bachan..is well past the age to be addressed as uncle..he is now a grand dad ;)..but why children need to call him as that..it might offend him.

“A mistake is a crash-course in learning” – Billy Anderson

True..we all mind being addressed as aunty or uncles by people who are nearly our age, more so when they are strangers. But I won't mind if the maid in our house addresses me as didi, since this usage is out of respect.

Utmost care has to be exercised while using words. They may look simple at a glance. But they cause immense damage and relations are strained. A lady was invited cordially by a Telugu lady, " Maa intiki Randi". Please come to my home. The word "Randi" has done its damage.
I know little bit of Telgu, so I know what this word means. But people should be very careful and watch their words before using it for any body who is alien to a particular language. A good word may mean a slang in other language esp in a multilingual country like India!

Utmost care has to be exercised while using words. They may look simple at a glance. But they cause immense damage and relations are strained. A lady was invited cordially by a Telugu lady, " Maa intiki Randi". Please come to my home. The word "Randi" has done its damage.

One needs to have some understanding. May words have different meanings in different languages. It should be obvious that the person is using the word in the sense according to his language only.

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.