Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
It is indeed irritating, especially when people of your age or people who are slightly younger than you address you as didi, aunty etc. One of my colleague used to call me as didi..why the hell do you need to do that..I have never checked your actual birth details..

People start calling you aunty as soon as they see you holding a baby...no matter what your age is, you are bound to become an universal aunty!

There was this grand father who used to bring his grand daughter in the play area every evening, and when he saw my toddler who was way younger than his grandchild addressed my baby as didi..is it really necessary? If you at all need to address someone, do so by their name!

Its not only when people see you with babies that they call you aunty. As soon as a girl gets married others tend to address that person as aunty. one of my friends has an irritating habit of addressing anyone as aunty or uncle if she or he happens to be married. She used to addressed one married woman as aunty even though that woman was hardly two or three years older than her.
Thank you said by: Mousumi Ghosh
It is indeed irritating, especially when people of your age or people who are slightly younger than you address you as didi, aunty etc. One of my colleague used to call me as didi..why the hell do you need to do that..I have never checked your actual birth details..

People start calling you aunty as soon as they see you holding a baby...no matter what your age is, you are bound to become an universal aunty!

There was this grand father who used to bring his grand daughter in the play area every evening, and when he saw my toddler who was way younger than his grandchild addressed my baby as didi..is it really necessary? If you at all need to address someone, do so by their name!

Its not only when people see you with babies that they call you aunty. As soon as a girl gets married others tend to address that person as aunty. one of my friends has an irritating habit of addressing anyone as aunty or uncle if she or he happens to be married. She used to addressed one married woman as aunty even though that woman was hardly two or three years older than her.

The reason is, we have craze towards anything, that's not ours. It may be language, culture or a habit. We easily switch over to them, without knowing the meaning, purpose or significance.
Addressing others as Aunty or Uncle has been mistaken as a term of respect. And this habit has been injected by the parents right from the childhood.
Normally children use the words aunty and uncle, with respect, and they are welcome. It is irritating only when other people use these words in an indiscreet manner. I think it is a bad practice existing in society through generations, which cannot be abandoned so easily.
With salespersons this seems to be the done thing and once when I asked them why they went around addressing everyone aunty , uncle, didi etc etc ...he said that it was because they have been told by their superior officer to do so to develop an affinity !!!! I told him that people wd be put off rather than develop any such affinity, instead to simply say either madame or sir which is neutral...

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

With salespersons this seems to be the done thing and once when I asked them why they went around addressing everyone aunty , uncle, didi etc etc ...he said that it was because they have been told by their superior officer to do so to develop an affinity !!!! I told him that people wd be put off rather than develop any such affinity, instead to simply say either madame or sir which is neutral...

Ahaha. This is something new for me. I heard sales persons addressing the customers Sir and Madam. But by addressing customers uncle and Aunty they are driving away the customers. Hats off to the superiors
The uncle aunty concept doesn't apply for actor-male/female..it is only we the common people bear with this..

“A mistake is a crash-course in learning” – Billy Anderson

Children and Teenagers address Amitabh as Uncle. There is one movie in Telugu that came with the name 'Aunty". In this Movie a renowned and still a ravishing beauty Jaya Sudha was in the lead role. Since then Jaya Sudha earned the name, "Aunty Jaya Sudha."
In India, addressing even stranger by some relation is icommon. Bahin ji, mataji, chacha, baba are tau are well known forms of address. With use of English, many addrss as 'uncle', 'auntie'. However, it is annoying some one himself of your age addreeing you as uncle/ aunt. Personally, I dislike such use. I address all men as 'sir' and women as 'madam'. More intimate forms of address are for those already known. .

I personally prefer to use "ji". In this respect I love the Lucknowi style of addressing. We have a rich cultural linguistic heritage. We need not borrow other ways of addressing from foreign languages.

But then if we stuck to our own traditions, we would become outdated! :blink: :blink: Calling each other especially people of same age as bahanji, bhaisahab is acceptable and polite. But calling each married lady as aunty and grown men, even young men as uncle is quite beyond logic and rather silly!

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Thank you said by: Gulshan Kumar Ajmani
In India, addressing even stranger by some relation is icommon. Bahin ji, mataji, chacha, baba are tau are well known forms of address. With use of English, many addrss as 'uncle', 'auntie'. However, it is annoying some one himself of your age addreeing you as uncle/ aunt. Personally, I dislike such use. I address all men as 'sir' and women as 'madam'. More intimate forms of address are for those already known. .

I personally prefer to use "ji". In this respect I love the Lucknowi style of addressing. We have a rich cultural linguistic heritage. We need not borrow other ways of addressing from foreign languages.

When you move among relatives and the known people in colony, it is okay to folow the local tradition. But when you are with strangers, it is okay to address as sir, madam, shrimanji. But please donot address any woman as 'shrimatiji'. This will give different rmeaning.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

But then if we stuck to our own traditions, we would become outdated! :blink: :blink: Calling each other especially people of same age as bahanji, bhaisahab is acceptable and polite. But calling each married lady as aunty and grown men, even young men as uncle is quite beyond logic and rather silly!

Suffixing 'Ji' will not bring the age factor. In Lucknowi dialect, even the youngsters are also addressed with a suffix Ji.
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.