Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
For me these were the highlights of this article are very true whether we choose to differ on this is a different thing altogether:

//While an increasing number of fair-minded and enlightened men have made home-keeping a partnership, for the most part managing the home — whether they work or not — is still treated as a female domain.

//We should be pushing for paternity-leave benefits at the workplace and flexi-hours for men and not just women.

//Instead of demanding daycare and crèches for the children of female employees, we should ask for it as a benefit for all employees. - Because even here the responsibility is forced on women to take care of their children even when they are at work.

I understand, ability to nurture comes naturally to women but certain things have to be inculcated in men too.

Thats exactly my point, it needs to be taught from childhood by both parents that the responsibility of running a house shd be equally shared and unless the male child is made to do so he will not understand the concept nor will he take an interest since society conditions him not to do so...One has to really fight against the system to bring in any positive change !
\

You summed it up quite well. Earlier generations were not used to the idea and hence did not inculcate these habits in their sons. But we can, by consciously encouraging them to participate in various chores and by doing things around house together in a fun way./ That way the boys will get used to working around home and also enjoy it. Each one of us has to make that effort to bring a positive change!

Absolutely ! personally I too have had to fight against criticism from relatives even friends who would comment seeing my son help out in the kitchen " In our house we dont let our sons and men enter the kitchen " as if it is a great deed they were doing. I wd say, in my house it is very much the done thing ..My mother and to a certain extent my m in law were very supportive and that really helped and I am glad that my children dont have any gender bias today. They just share home and kitcen duties when they are home.

When I rushed forward to help my wife in lifting a heavy water container, my wife refused my help saying. "Why you are intervening in a woman's Job?" this happened many years ago. Since then i made it a practice to do all the jobs in the kitchen to my wife's dissatisfaction. And this has been passed on to my children.

It is not easy to change the mindset one has grown with, it is only the next generation if brought up differently can bring about a change ! I see parents , even the highly educated ones giving preferential treatments to their sons..One can partially blame it on the attitude of the society so parents want to protect thir daughters ! But it seeps into everything and becomes a way of life with most parents .

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Any skill, habits good or bad will sprout only in the breeding grounds of Home. Surroundings and the other associations will add that extra Oomph to the child's qualities. These are the rudiments every parent has to know and cultivate.
It is depressing that a male child is treated differently that too by the educated ones..but the seed of change has been sown...it will soon sprout into a new changed society and mindset for sure.

“A mistake is a crash-course in learning” – Billy Anderson

Education doesn't mean university degrees. Real education is having a rich soul with noble thoughts.. Those who treat male child differently are educated illiterates.. I don't have respect or regard on them.
Women should remember that they are good at doing certain things and take pride in doing it instead of grumbling. Once you accept that you are best suited to rear your child , you automatically take an interest and dont feel bad at having given up your job....Also, some things cannot be changed because of the pressures society puts on us and instead of trying to fight the injustice I feel it is wiser to go with the flow and bring in minor changes within your capacity! I know of many women who had to give up lucrative jobs and look after their children , starting Creches and baby sitters so that they look after their child as well as make an additional income ..

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.