Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
For me these were the highlights of this article are very true whether we choose to differ on this is a different thing altogether:

//While an increasing number of fair-minded and enlightened men have made home-keeping a partnership, for the most part managing the home — whether they work or not — is still treated as a female domain.

//We should be pushing for paternity-leave benefits at the workplace and flexi-hours for men and not just women.

//Instead of demanding daycare and crèches for the children of female employees, we should ask for it as a benefit for all employees. - Because even here the responsibility is forced on women to take care of their children even when they are at work.

I understand, ability to nurture comes naturally to women but certain things have to be inculcated in men too.

Thats exactly my point, it needs to be taught from childhood by both parents that the responsibility of running a house shd be equally shared and unless the male child is made to do so he will not understand the concept nor will he take an interest since society conditions him not to do so...One has to really fight against the system to bring in any positive change !

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Thank you said by: Mousumi Ghosh
For me these were the highlights of this article are very true whether we choose to differ on this is a different thing altogether:

//While an increasing number of fair-minded and enlightened men have made home-keeping a partnership, for the most part managing the home — whether they work or not — is still treated as a female domain.

//We should be pushing for paternity-leave benefits at the workplace and flexi-hours for men and not just women.

//Instead of demanding daycare and crèches for the children of female employees, we should ask for it as a benefit for all employees. - Because even here the responsibility is forced on women to take care of their children even when they are at work.

I understand, ability to nurture comes naturally to women but certain things have to be inculcated in men too.

Thats exactly my point, it needs to be taught from childhood by both parents that the responsibility of running a house shd be equally shared and unless the male child is made to do so he will not understand the concept nor will he take an interest since society conditions him not to do so...One has to really fight against the system to bring in any positive change !
\

You summed it up quite well. Earlier generations were not used to the idea and hence did not inculcate these habits in their sons. But we can, by consciously encouraging them to participate in various chores and by doing things around house together in a fun way./ That way the boys will get used to working around home and also enjoy it. Each one of us has to make that effort to bring a positive change!

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

\

You summed it up quite well. Earlier generations were not used to the idea and hence did not inculcate these habits in their sons. But we can, by consciously encouraging them to participate in various chores and by doing things around house together in a fun way./ That way the boys will get used to working around home and also enjoy it. Each one of us has to make that effort to bring a positive change!

Absolutely ! personally I too have had to fight against criticism from relatives even friends who would comment seeing my son help out in the kitchen " In our house we dont let our sons and men enter the kitchen " as if it is a great deed they were doing. I wd say, in my house it is very much the done thing ..My mother and to a certain extent my m in law were very supportive and that really helped and I am glad that my children dont have any gender bias today. They just share home and kitcen duties when they are home.

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

\

Absolutely ! personally I too have had to fight against criticism from relatives even friends who would comment seeing my son help out in the kitchen " In our house we dont let our sons and men enter the kitchen " as if it is a great deed they were doing. I wd say, in my house it is very much the done thing ..My mother and to a certain extent my m in law were very supportive and that really helped and I am glad that my children dont have any gender bias today. They just share home and kitcen duties when they are home.

When I rushed forward to help my wife in lifting a heavy water container, my wife refused my help saying. "Why you are intervening in a woman's Job?" this happened many years ago. Since then i made it a practice to do all the jobs in the kitchen to my wife's dissatisfaction. And this has been passed on to my children.
This article by Barkha Dutt actually speaks my mind. Go check... Why women' can't have it all

Why do women have to quit work or work from home to manage household chores and look after babies. Why do women have to struggle..I can relate to what is there in this article..why do women have to juggle with so many roles and keep too many balls in the air?

For a simple reason, women have not taught their male offspring to behave and respect women. They always thought their male children were superior and not born to do in any household job. They are still living in the same mentality.

I love this free image hosting site for sharing my work

https://o0.nz/

I think women who belong to the newer generation are coming out of this mode of thinking, that male off-springs are better or superior. More and more emphasis is being put on educating girls. But women who belong to the interior parts our country are still lagging behind, in terms of their thoughts and behavior, which am sure will change some day.

“A mistake is a crash-course in learning” – Billy Anderson

The belief that male children are superior is prevalent in the women in urban areas too. And this includes educated women.. Yes, such thoughts are gradually decreasing, but with a slow pace. Change is imminent .
Yes, few educated women to believe that a male child is superior..but i beg to differ. Anyway everybody is entitled to their own personal views and opinion.

Setting aside Who believe and who will not , male child is superior, one thing is sure, a lot has to happen as far as woman's attitude is concerned. Male and female children are equal and they should be taught life skills right from the formative years.
Absolutely, life skills, culinary skills, manner, etiquette, and education are all important irrespective of the gender of a child and need to be taught to both.

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.