Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
We have more number of educated illiterates : . A doctor waited for an auspicious moment to admit in to hospital his own father with a serious ailment. Only to see the old chap breathe his last.
If Amul had relied only on Indian cows there would have been no milk revolution in the country. Today India is no 1 milk producer in the world and there is still milk shortage in the country. Aml has successfully cross bred the famous Jersey cows with Indian cows and increased the milk yield of Indian cows. It is laughable that the colour of the cow has a bearing on the taste of the milk it gives. Besides it is buffalo milk which is widely consumed.

I agree with you that it is quite absurd to assume that the colour of a cow has a bearing on the quality of its milk. But from my point of view, whatever the difference may or may not exist in the quality of milk or whatever, from ecological point of view, it is important to preserve original Indian species of the cow. Any animal which is indigenous to a region is an important member of the region's ecosystem and hence deserves to be preserved. You mentioned the experiments of cross breeding it with the Jersey cows, how successful was it? It could have been but it is equally important to preserve the original species too.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

We have more number of educated illiterates : . A doctor waited for an auspicious moment to admit in to hospital his own father with a serious ailment. Only to see the old chap breathe his last.

What!! Seriuosly? What has got into some people..muhurat for admitting an ailing father into a hospital!!! unbelievable.

“A mistake is a crash-course in learning” – Billy Anderson

What!! Seriuosly? What has got into some people..muhurat for admitting an ailing father into a hospital!!! unbelievable.

It happened in the hospital meant for employees of a steel major in Visakhapatnam. I worked in this organization and was editing the house magazine. I myself published this news item in the house journal.
If Amul had relied only on Indian cows there would have been no milk revolution in the country. Today India is no 1 milk producer in the world and there is still milk shortage in the country. Aml has successfully cross bred the famous Jersey cows with Indian cows and increased the milk yield of Indian cows. It is laughable that the colour of the cow has a bearing on the taste of the milk it gives. Besides it is buffalo milk which is widely consumed.

I agree with you that it is quite absurd to assume that the colour of a cow has a bearing on the quality of its milk. But from my point of view, whatever the difference may or may not exist in the quality of milk or whatever, from ecological point of view, it is important to preserve original Indian species of the cow. Any animal which is indigenous to a region is an important member of the region's ecosystem and hence deserves to be preserved. You mentioned the experiments of cross breeding it with the Jersey cows, how successful was it? It could have been but it is equally important to preserve the original species too.

By cross breeding the dairy has been able to develop a more sturdy and healthy breed of cows whose yield of milk has gone up significantly. It is because of this increase in productivity that India is today no. 1 milk producer and still milk shortage is there because of rising population and demand. Similarly in agriculture also Mexican dwarf wheat variety was crossed with Indian varieties and the result was a considerable boost in productivity as a result of which the India today is an exporter of food grains when in 1960's we were forced to import from USA to feed our population. It is the story of Green Revolution. The local varieties continue to exist and samples are in fact preserved by scientific laboratories.
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.