Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
In these dreary conditions, it seems only way out is to grow our own vegetables . Vegetables required for a small family can be grown in pots also. Even in apartments vegetables can be grown in pots.

Time and space is limited even for a small family, modern apartments have hardly any space to accommodate furniture and other paraphernalia....growing vegetables is a distant dream.

Mousumi, i have seen Adivasis in their Matchbox sized houses growing vegetable in pots. Of course they don't have unnecessary household items like furniture. We have to do a bit of readjustment in the home or eliminate some objects and make way for potted low hanging pots for vegetable growing.

Very true...where there is a will there is a way. People who are willing to do a little hard work and show patience can grow veggies in containers in windows! On the contrary I have seen huge bungalows with lots of garden space wasting it all by covering it up with concrete or tiles just because they don't 'Like' the trash generated by soil and fallen leaves! :blink:

I agree with you Kalyani. I live in apartments. Fortunately, my apartment is spacious. We are less in number. I utilized this aspect and started growing Potted vegetables. Though not exotic varieties, I could grow some ordinary vegetables successfully. But i'm sure from this starting, i gradually go for exotic varieties in the days to come.

Exactly...I too have a small space in my flat but I grow mint, lemongrass, chillies, belle peppers quite easily all around the year. I have now planted beans and pumpkin and am planting plant ginger and garlic now.

Kalyani little bit I know about you through your blogs tell me that you enjoy gardening, so it is very well possible for a person like you. : )

@ Rambabu: We have a spacious balcony, and we have plants too..but growing veggies is not my cup of tea and am sure not many can do this. It requires a lot of effort, patience and art too.

Definitely Mousumi. May be that you have your limitations. But, if you don't mind, here is a piece of suggestion. Start slowly just with one pot. It doesn't need much hard work. Then see.
In these dreary conditions, it seems only way out is to grow our own vegetables . Vegetables required for a small family can be grown in pots also. Even in apartments vegetables can be grown in pots.

Time and space is limited even for a small family, modern apartments have hardly any space to accommodate furniture and other paraphernalia....growing vegetables is a distant dream.

Mousumi, i have seen Adivasis in their Matchbox sized houses growing vegetable in pots. Of course they don't have unnecessary household items like furniture. We have to do a bit of readjustment in the home or eliminate some objects and make way for potted low hanging pots for vegetable growing.

Very true...where there is a will there is a way. People who are willing to do a little hard work and show patience can grow veggies in containers in windows! On the contrary I have seen huge bungalows with lots of garden space wasting it all by covering it up with concrete or tiles just because they don't 'Like' the trash generated by soil and fallen leaves! :blink:

I agree with you Kalyani. I live in apartments. Fortunately, my apartment is spacious. We are less in number. I utilized this aspect and started growing Potted vegetables. Though not exotic varieties, I could grow some ordinary vegetables successfully. But i'm sure from this starting, i gradually go for exotic varieties in the days to come.

Exactly...I too have a small space in my flat but I grow mint, lemongrass, chillies, belle peppers quite easily all around the year. I have now planted beans and pumpkin and am planting plant ginger and garlic now.

Kalyani little bit I know about you through your blogs tell me that you enjoy gardening, so it is very well possible for a person like you. : )

@ Rambabu: We have a spacious balcony, and we have plants too..but growing veggies is not my cup of tea and am sure not many can do this. It requires a lot of effort, patience and art too.

Definitely Mousumi. May be that you have your limitations. But, if you don't mind, here is a piece of suggestion. Start slowly just with one pot. It doesn't need much hard work. Then see.

Sure..this is a good suggestion will try...my mom is into gardening, but I could not imbibe this quality from her.

“A mistake is a crash-course in learning” – Billy Anderson

Thank you Mousumi, I reall do enjoy gardening. It is not really very hard, you can grow veggies easily. Start with tomatoes, chillies and mint. They are the most easy ones to grow and need very little care. The water that you use for plants should be water saved after washing your rice, dal, vegetables etc. container plants need only that much food normally!

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Thank you said by: Mousumi Ghosh, rambabu

Thank you Mousumi, I reall do enjoy gardening. It is not really very hard, you can grow veggies easily. Start with tomatoes, chillies and mint. They are the most easy ones to grow and need very little care. The water that you use for plants should be water saved after washing your rice, dal, vegetables etc. container plants need only that much food normally!

Thank you Kalyani..these tips are really useful..this way we save and reuse water!

“A mistake is a crash-course in learning” – Billy Anderson

Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar

Well that's a useful tip pertaining to water to be used for the growth of veggies.

Well that's a useful tip pertaining to water to be used for the growth of veggies.

That water and also leftover tea leaves remaining after straining tea. Used tea leaves and coffee grounds are both very beneficial for veggies and flowering plants.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

That water and also leftover tea leaves remaining after straining tea. Used tea leaves and coffee grounds are both very beneficial for veggies and flowering plants.

Great. Till now I was using just water for watering the container plants. Of course I was using leftover tea leaves.

Great. Belle peppers means shimla mirch. When is the right time to plant it. I am interested.
Kalyani, your tips on growing vegetables and how you recycle the water and use it for your plants is really inspiring. I do not have any plants at my apartment, but really intend to grow a few now. I am really interested in growing some flowers or plants which does not need much maintenance and can be grown easily. Please do give us some tips. :)

I love writing and sharing ideas

Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar
I am also living in a flat house. But with in the outside space that is allotted to vehicles we plant henna,curry leaves and tomato in a small space. It is growing nicely and all the people in the flat get benefited and we also have the plan to plant more vegetables in the open upstairs.
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.