Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
We cannot stay aloof in these days of globalization. If there is some influence of foreign culture and if doesn't interfere and damage our own culture, what's wrong in accepting it ?
We cannot stay aloof in these days of globalization. If there is some influence of foreign culture and if doesn't interfere and damage our own culture, what's wrong in accepting it ?

Very few people are open to embracing foreign language / culture / other things without creating some amount of hitch, very few people think that positive things irrespective of the culture or country should be readily accepted. I don't mind...but if celebrating new yr for example brings and connects the people all over and in a country like ours where new year can be celebrated all round the year..isn't it better to celebrate it officially at the beginning of the English calendar year?

“A mistake is a crash-course in learning” – Billy Anderson

Very few people are open to embracing foreign language / culture / other things without creating some amount of hitch, very few people think that positive things irrespective of the culture or country should be readily accepted. I don't mind...but if celebrating new yr for example brings and connects the people all over and in a country like ours where new year can be celebrated all round the year..isn't it better to celebrate it officially at the beginning of the English calendar year?

True...When speaking about accepting foreign culture, many people are indeed opposed but in truth, foreign culture has already become an integral part of our lives. The way we dress up today is according to the way foreigners dress up, especially the men whose dress code of shirts and pants is SO TOTALLY NOT our culture. Majority of women have adapted to jeans, trousers and skirts, again not our own. We have long and long chains of restaurants such as McDonald's, KFCs, Dominos, and many more and the crowds thronging these joints to eat pizza, burgers etc. which are again, not ours, is a testimony to this fact. So why oppose it at all, simply adapt what you like, ignore what you don't!

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Indians observe all functions. Now they do so at greater scale. Some festivals were earlier observed in some regions. Now these are celebratd all over India. In addition, some foreign functions are also observed. There are Indian Christians also and hence Christian festivals are not foreign. We have composite culture with an international touch. Nothing wrong.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

Indians observe all functions. Now they do so at greater scale. Some festivals were earlier observed in some regions. Now these are celebratd all over India. In addition, some foreign functions are also observed. There are Indian Christians also and hence Christian festivals are not foreign. We have composite culture with an international touch. Nothing wrong.

Exactly...in fact I personally enjoy watching and learning about celebrations from other cultures. I feel keeping an open mind in this regard will only help enrich your own knowledge!

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Thank you said by: Gulshan Kumar Ajmani
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.