Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
Caste is the favorite tool of the politicians to grab the votes. They won't let it go easily. Caste system, they assure is kept alive forever.

We should not allow the divide and rule concept. If division in human happens then politicians easily rule the people without much effort.
Caste is the favorite tool of the politicians to grab the votes. They won't let it go easily. Caste system, they assure is kept alive forever.

We should not allow the divide and rule concept. If division in human happens then politicians easily rule the people without much effort.

We allowed the British to divide and rule in our country. This dirty policy has deeply rooted in the society. We accepted it. And the politicians reaped the fruits.
Not sure if I should give my honest opinion here because I am afraid I will be misinterpreted. In my opinion all the reservations should be done away with and getting a job should primarily be on the basis of merit.

I too am of the opinion that all reservations should be done away with since it has reached ridiculous proportions now, more a tool in the hands of our politicians.It is being misused left, right and center. Merit should be the only criteria and any help shd be hgiven to deserving economically weak students regadless of caste and religion.

Even though many of us would like the reservation system to be done away with and everything to be based on merit system, it would not be possible as long as the society continue practising caste system in their daily lives. Though legally banned, in some parts of India it is still religiously followed. I had spent more than a year at a place in Rajasthan and I was surprised to see how in some villages,the higher caste people still treat the people belonging to lower caste as inferiors. Spending times with them, I did realise that if reservation system is altogether done away with, it would be very difficult for those belonging to lower caste to avail themselves of any Government schemes or to improve their living conditions. Having said that, proper system needs to be developed to select the genuine cases as nowadays the reservation schemes is being misused rampantly.

What you say is really true...I have seen many such people myself and if many of the schemes are taken away, those poor people would be floundering in murky poverty more than ever. In fact there should be a system in place where careful monitoring can be done to ensure that only the truly needy get benefits of government schemes and reservations. Lately, only the rich people have been able to get benefits from the reservations. Only with the current rate of new reservations for more categories, I am sure it would reach 100% in all areas with absolutely no space for open categories! :blink:

I too feel that adding more categories for reservations would only worsen the matter instead of serving its purpose of uplifting the status of the marginalized section of the society. The objective of reservation system is to bring equality in society by bringing forward all those who have been neglected for long. However, instead of focusing only on reservation system, I feel that the government and every concerned individuals should be working to remove the disparity caused by caste system either through education, awareness or whatever means possible so that the reservation system can be phased out completely in few years.
Regarding the issue of its being misused by rich people, If I am not mistaken, there is something called the creamy layer in the reservation system. Those who are economically better and so are included in the creamy layer are not entitled to any kind of reservations even if they belong to lower caste. So, proper monitoring is the need of the hour to prevent its misuse.
Not sure if I should give my honest opinion here because I am afraid I will be misinterpreted. In my opinion all the reservations should be done away with and getting a job should primarily be on the basis of merit.

I too am of the opinion that all reservations should be done away with since it has reached ridiculous proportions now, more a tool in the hands of our politicians.It is being misused left, right and center. Merit should be the only criteria and any help shd be hgiven to deserving economically weak students regadless of caste and religion.

Even though many of us would like the reservation system to be done away with and everything to be based on merit system, it would not be possible as long as the society continue practising caste system in their daily lives. Though legally banned, in some parts of India it is still religiously followed. I had spent more than a year at a place in Rajasthan and I was surprised to see how in some villages,the higher caste people still treat the people belonging to lower caste as inferiors. Spending times with them, I did realise that if reservation system is altogether done away with, it would be very difficult for those belonging to lower caste to avail themselves of any Government schemes or to improve their living conditions. Having said that, proper system needs to be developed to select the genuine cases as nowadays the reservation schemes is being misused rampantly.

What you say is really true...I have seen many such people myself and if many of the schemes are taken away, those poor people would be floundering in murky poverty more than ever. In fact there should be a system in place where careful monitoring can be done to ensure that only the truly needy get benefits of government schemes and reservations. Lately, only the rich people have been able to get benefits from the reservations. Only with the current rate of new reservations for more categories, I am sure it would reach 100% in all areas with absolutely no space for open categories! :blink:

Don't get me wrong, but it is sad and yet true that now we are in a vicious and never ending cycle of reservation. I think more and more job opportunities should be created and job offers should be given to people based on their education, merit, and vocational training.[/quote

In the present scenario, I'm afraid your dream ( and my dream) sounds far fetched and can't be realized.

I know what I wrote above looks nothing short of a wishful thinking..but dreams don't remain as dreams if something concrete is done to achieve it. Here, in this case, the entire responsibility lies with the Govt. I know the reservation system which is part of our life is not easy to part with and as many have already opined it is a political tactic to let it remain because it acts as a vote bank. But really wish something should be done whether reservation is given based on financial basis or more jobs be made available, it all depends on the Govt.

“A mistake is a crash-course in learning” – Billy Anderson

I too feel that adding more categories for reservations would only worsen the matter instead of serving its purpose of uplifting the status of the marginalized section of the society. The objective of reservation system is to bring equality in society by bringing forward all those who have been neglected for long. However, instead of focusing only on reservation system, I feel that the government and every concerned individuals should be working to remove the disparity caused by caste system either through education, awareness or whatever means possible so that the reservation system can be phased out completely in few years.
Regarding the issue of its being misused by rich people, If I am not mistaken, there is something called the creamy layer in the reservation system. Those who are economically better and so are included in the creamy layer are not entitled to any kind of reservations even if they belong to lower caste. So, proper monitoring is the need of the hour to prevent its misuse.

Yes the creamy layer thing does exist but still these people manage to get falsified documents quite easily, by paying bribes of course, and get all the reservation benefits they need! So unless a proper monitoring system is in place, these people will keep throwing dust in the eyes of everyone. At the same time, very poor people who deserve these reservations have to keep running from pillar to pillar, the officials do not give them required documents on some pretext or other, or demand money which they cannot afford. either they have to collect that much money and pay it to the officers or they have to bring someone's letter of introduction, such as from a local MP or corporator etc. getting which, again is quite difficult for the poor.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Don't get me wrong, but it is sad and yet true that now we are in a vicious and never ending cycle of reservation. I think more and more job opportunities should be created and job offers should be given to people based on their education, merit, and vocational training.[/quote

In the present scenario, I'm afraid your dream ( and my dream) sounds far fetched and can't be realized.

I know what I wrote above looks nothing short of a wishful thinking..but dreams don't remain as dreams if something concrete is done to achieve it. Here, in this case, the entire responsibility lies with the Govt. I know the reservation system which is part of our life is not easy to part with and as many have already opined it is a political tactic to let it remain because it acts as a vote bank. But really wish something should be done whether reservation is given based on financial basis or more jobs be made available, it all depends on the Govt.[/quote

I would be the first to rejoice if your dream is realized. People like me who are against Reservations would join the Bandwagon.

Yes the creamy layer thing does exist but still these people manage to get falsified documents quite easily, by paying bribes of course, and get all the reservation benefits they need! So unless a proper monitoring system is in place, these people will keep throwing dust in the eyes of everyone. At the same time, very poor people who deserve these reservations have to keep running from pillar to pillar, the officials do not give them required documents on some pretext or other, or demand money which they cannot afford. either they have to collect that much money and pay it to the officers or they have to bring someone's letter of introduction, such as from a local MP or corporator etc. getting which, again is quite difficult for the poor.

What you says is absolutely true. With so much corruptions being practised, the question does arise whether reservation system is actually helping the people it was intended for.
Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.