Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

Exactly....I think the issue here is also about the role and responsibility or rather, the lack of it on media's part. To make their papers or magazines or channels work, they publish news and items featuring only such shallow people and not the ones who are really contributing to the society. The goals of media has been twisted and distorted to such an extent that they no longer care about sensitivity, honesty and integrity. So I guess it is left to us as parents to introduce our children to the real models of the society.

I totally agree with that ! How many intellectuals , social workers and others who contribute positively get interviewed and even when that is done how many people watch ? That is the million dollar question because I see even adults changing channels when there is a serious educative discussion going on. We can blame ourselves for this !

Such people are hardly even taken seriously. Just recently I had a full sample of experience about exactly this happening. My son's school arranges occasional workshops on various topics for parents. Last month it was on understanding and preventing child sexual abuse. The person who was invited to conduct the workshop is a very prominent lady, Dr. Anuradha Sahastrabuddhe, who has decades of experience working with abused children, she has dedicated her life to the cause and was conducting the workshop with her heart and soul in it. Sadly, there were many parents who seemed quite bored by it and instead of listening to her, were busy on phones on the sly! It is this sad attitude shown by people, which is responsible for children too turning insensitive to the real world! How can they ever be introduced to the real role models then?

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Certainly a misguided group of people, in my opinion! I think the culprit is not having enough pride in ourselves, our culture, our philosophy etc. that makes us forget the basic values of respect to other human beings and the ability to discern good from bad. Otherwise they would not be idolizing culprits such as Salman and Pancholi. It is the superficial nature of so-called savvy and modern culture is the reason why such shallow people are idolized only for their good looks and supposed charisma.

I don;t think parents in that group would not have tried to teach the kids the right values? so what could be the reason? Whatever that reason maybe, there should be a cause for concern to the parents, because now, the kids are only voicing their firm opinions, tomorrow they may even try to emulate their sick role models! :blink:

Yes Kalyani, there is a lax attitude amog people with regard to crime and corruption, they seem to take it in their stride , even praising those who manage to get away !

Nowadays no one reads autobiographies or biographies of truly great men any more, nor do the supposed role models of today try to live up to the greatness they are bestowed with . I personally feel the kind of role models we get nowadays are simply not good at all. Come to think of it, there ARE NO role models beyond Bollywood and cricket left! He who has money, looks and is able to make it on page 3, becomes a role model, not withstanding where and how the money comes from!

People idol worship those from Bollywood and cricket as the media generally focus only on them. Its not that there aren't any people left from other fields who are worthy of being a role model. But media generally do not write much about their lives or works as they are not considered glamorous enough. For instance, Kailash Satyarthi has been doing noble works for such a long time now but came to limelight only recently after he became a Noble peace prize winner. Before that I haven't come across much about his works in the media. On the other hand, take any Bollywood actor. As soon as they do 1 film, they will show their face each and everywhere including reality shows, malls, road shows, every magazines etc making them more popular. So, the youth tend to end up idol worshiping them.

The role of media is immense in shaping or helping us form opinion..and you have rightly pointed out about how actors are given publicity and most people idolize and worship these actors. But as parents we have to encourage the newer generation and introduce the real role model who positively contribute to our society.

“A mistake is a crash-course in learning” – Billy Anderson

Exactly....I think the issue here is also about the role and responsibility or rather, the lack of it on media's part. To make their papers or magazines or channels work, they publish news and items featuring only such shallow people and not the ones who are really contributing to the society. The goals of media has been twisted and distorted to such an extent that they no longer care about sensitivity, honesty and integrity. So I guess it is left to us as parents to introduce our children to the real models of the society.

I totally agree with that ! How many intellectuals , social workers and others who contribute positively get interviewed and even when that is done how many people watch ? That is the million dollar question because I see even adults changing channels when there is a serious educative discussion going on. We can blame ourselves for this !

Such people are hardly even taken seriously. Just recently I had a full sample of experience about exactly this happening. My son's school arranges occasional workshops on various topics for parents. Last month it was on understanding and preventing child sexual abuse. The person who was invited to conduct the workshop is a very prominent lady, Dr. Anuradha Sahastrabuddhe, who has decades of experience working with abused children, she has dedicated her life to the cause and was conducting the workshop with her heart and soul in it. Sadly, there were many parents who seemed quite bored by it and instead of listening to her, were busy on phones on the sly! It is this sad attitude shown by people, which is responsible for children too turning insensitive to the real world! How can they ever be introduced to the real role models then?

You can only pity those ladies, who do not have the sense to utilise a good opportunity given to them. Not much can be expected of these ladies who woould probably get totally engrossed and clap if there was a filmy dance !

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar

You can only pity those ladies, who do not have the sense to utilise a good opportunity given to them. Not much can be expected of these ladies who woould probably get totally engrossed and clap if there was a filmy dance !

Not only such parents ignore and become insensitive to such sensitive issues...parents these days esp mothers these days take every opportunity to utilize every occasion to make their kids dance to bollywood numbers. I fail to understand why for every occasion dancing on bollywood numbers has become a trend. Why can't parents do something educational + fun games for their kids.

“A mistake is a crash-course in learning” – Billy Anderson

Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar, usha manohar

That happens too each year, in his school during annual social gatherings, film songs are strictly not allowed so there are many parents who keep grumbling about it. They make their children dance to yo yo honey singh numbers or some other similarly raunchy songs and don't even realise the stupidity of it all. :blink:

Thank you said by: usha manohar

That happens too each year, in his school during annual social gatherings, film songs are strictly not allowed so there are many parents who keep grumbling about it. They make their children dance to yo yo honey singh numbers or some other similarly raunchy songs and don't even realise the stupidity of it all. :blink:

It is the same in our school, when we take the trouble of organising on the spot essay competetion or elocution competetion you have hardly any parents attending wheras whe there is a cultural program where it is mostly dances to bollywood numbers the hall is packed to capacity..parents bring themselves and a hoard of other relatives too :unsure: :dry:

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

It is the same in our school, when we take the trouble of organising on the spot essay competetion or elocution competetion you have hardly any parents attending wheras whe there is a cultural program where it is mostly dances to bollywood numbers the hall is packed to capacity..parents bring themselves and a hoard of other relatives too :unsure: :dry:

It is proved that our society in general, is a mob that is ruled by the mass mentality and anything shown in films are instantly picked up by the people! A very sorry state of affairs! :blink: All the more reason why people like us should try to send their children abroad for education and career, no point left in this country! :blink: Sad, but true, this belief of mine is getting stronger day by day!

Thank you said by: usha manohar

The law is the same for everyone and every single person, howsoever mighty he or she might be, has to surrender before law and obey the law.  Yes, jayalalitha is one of the worst politicians in India, with the worst record of corruption and arrogance put together.  She, and others like her, should be made to obey the law.

Otherwise, we will become a jungle, where the mighty can get away with any loot.  The law, for example, is unable to do anything to a dirty fellow like Vijay Mallaya who just ruined one airline and thousands lost their jobs. 

Can we allow all this?

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.