Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
Recently while I was waiting in a bakery in my town , I was listening to a group of people ( an extended family) of all age groups discussing among themselves about celebrities and film stars. Afetr discussing films they began to speak about actors.One of them said that he loved Salman Khan and another said he liked Aditya Panscholis son both of whom have cases against them. The general feeling among the group was that the cases against them shd be dismissed since they are such good looking actors and they shd be seen on screen , not sent to prison...If Lalu and other polticans can do what they did and now are roaming free, why not actors ? they were all feeling very sorry for Sanjay Dutt too and felt that he shd be doing films not sent to prison .. Even the 2 youngsters who were probably about 10 or 12 years old shared theses feeling !
I am at a loss and sincerely hope this is not the trend among the majority of our citizens .. :ohmy:

I agree this is not general trend. But every politician ad actor has a gropup of fans who blindly support them. Once amitabh Bhachan was given notice by Income Tax department for tax evasion. His fans throughut India (including Agra) staged protest before Income Tax offices. Jaya Lalitha is also getting support from her fans.

True..the kind of fan worship goes on additionally is quite disgusting. Just after Jayalalitha was arrested, I read that about 5-6 people committed suicides while an equal number died of heart attack upon hearing the news! a few years ago, one young girl in Mysore or Bangalore tried to commit suicide just because Sachin Tendulkar had hurt his back and his return to cricket thereafter was still dubious. What kind of worship is this? :blink:

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Thank you said by: Gulshan Kumar Ajmani
Recently while I was waiting in a bakery in my town , I was listening to a group of people ( an extended family) of all age groups discussing among themselves about celebrities and film stars. Afetr discussing films they began to speak about actors.One of them said that he loved Salman Khan and another said he liked Aditya Panscholis son both of whom have cases against them. The general feeling among the group was that the cases against them shd be dismissed since they are such good looking actors and they shd be seen on screen , not sent to prison...If Lalu and other polticans can do what they did and now are roaming free, why not actors ? they were all feeling very sorry for Sanjay Dutt too and felt that he shd be doing films not sent to prison .. Even the 2 youngsters who were probably about 10 or 12 years old shared theses feeling !
I am at a loss and sincerely hope this is not the trend among the majority of our citizens .. :ohmy:

I agree this is not general trend. But every politician ad actor has a gropup of fans who blindly support them. Once amitabh Bhachan was given notice by Income Tax department for tax evasion. His fans throughut India (including Agra) staged protest before Income Tax offices. Jaya Lalitha is also getting support from her fans.

True..the kind of fan worship goes on additionally is quite disgusting. Just after Jayalalitha was arrested, I read that about 5-6 people committed suicides while an equal number died of heart attack upon hearing the news! a few years ago, one young girl in Mysore or Bangalore tried to commit suicide just because Sachin Tendulkar had hurt his back and his return to cricket thereafter was still dubious. What kind of worship is this? :blink:

I guess people have too much time on their hand, just imagine there are a few hundred fans of Jayalalitha plonked outside the prison in Bangalore waiting for her to be given bail. Dont these people have anyting better to do? They are causing law and order problem and do not realise how irresponsible they seem to the general public...

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

I guess people have too much time on their hand, just imagine there are a few hundred fans of Jayalalitha plonked outside the prison in Bangalore waiting for her to be given bail. Dont these people have anyting better to do? They are causing law and order problem and do not realise how irresponsible they seem to the general public...

that is exactly what the British wanted to happen in our country, turn the citizens into mindless and faceless mobs who will come together only for destructive purposes but never for constructive, the most important reason why most Indians are so poor. Instead of working hard somewhere all they can do is chew pan or tobacco and indulge in fist fights and follow such good-for nothing celebrities!

that is exactly what the British wanted to happen in our country, turn the citizens into mindless and faceless mobs who will come together only for destructive purposes but never for constructive, the most important reason why most Indians are so poor. Instead of working hard somewhere all they can do is chew pan or tobacco and indulge in fist fights and follow such good-for nothing celebrities!

Let us not blame British for our inbuilt weaknesses. Personality cult is an Asian trait. You would never see any Indira Gandhi cult, Jay Lalitha cult or Modi cult in Britain or U.S.A. In fact, the credit of civilizing and educating and even making us one nation goes to British. It is British who brought rule of law to India. By the way, nobody in Britain chews Pan or tobbacco unlike Indians. The dowry system and Sati are Indian specialities. We were able to drive British from our country but not our own evils like personaitty cult, dowry, caste system etc. . .

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar, jabeen

I would agree with Gulshan in that British themselves are a very disciplned lot and would never cause a law and order problem because of hero worship. They are very proud of their country and see to it that it is well maintained unlike us who throw stones and destroy public property at the drop of a hat..

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Let us not blame British for our inbuilt weaknesses. Personality cult is an Asian trait. You would never see any Indira Gandhi cult, Jay Lalitha cult or Modi cult in Britain or U.S.A. In fact, the credit of civilizing and educating and even making us one nation goes to British. It is British who brought rule of law to India. By the way, nobody in Britain chews Pan or tobbacco unlike Indians. The dowry system and Sati are Indian specialities. We were able to drive British from our country but not our own evils like personaitty cult, dowry, caste system etc. . .

I do know all that and I agree with you because I myself have lived in England for some time and have a long and endearing friendship with a few Britishers. What I meant was that this was exactly what they saw in us and they took advantage of it to their own gains and encouraged this attitude. In spite of all our 'ancient wisdom, knowledge blah blah...' our people could not see through all that and went along with the flow. That is what I generally meant. for the rest we have only us to blame!

Certainly a misguided group of people, in my opinion! I think the culprit is not having enough pride in ourselves, our culture, our philosophy etc. that makes us forget the basic values of respect to other human beings and the ability to discern good from bad. Otherwise they would not be idolizing culprits such as Salman and Pancholi. It is the superficial nature of so-called savvy and modern culture is the reason why such shallow people are idolized only for their good looks and supposed charisma.

I don;t think parents in that group would not have tried to teach the kids the right values? so what could be the reason? Whatever that reason maybe, there should be a cause for concern to the parents, because now, the kids are only voicing their firm opinions, tomorrow they may even try to emulate their sick role models! :blink:

Yes Kalyani, there is a lax attitude amog people with regard to crime and corruption, they seem to take it in their stride , even praising those who manage to get away !

Nowadays no one reads autobiographies or biographies of truly great men any more, nor do the supposed role models of today try to live up to the greatness they are bestowed with . I personally feel the kind of role models we get nowadays are simply not good at all. Come to think of it, there ARE NO role models beyond Bollywood and cricket left! He who has money, looks and is able to make it on page 3, becomes a role model, not withstanding where and how the money comes from!

People idol worship those from Bollywood and cricket as the media generally focus only on them. Its not that there aren't any people left from other fields who are worthy of being a role model. But media generally do not write much about their lives or works as they are not considered glamorous enough. For instance, Kailash Satyarthi has been doing noble works for such a long time now but came to limelight only recently after he became a Noble peace prize winner. Before that I haven't come across much about his works in the media. On the other hand, take any Bollywood actor. As soon as they do 1 film, they will show their face each and everywhere including reality shows, malls, road shows, every magazines etc making them more popular. So, the youth tend to end up idol worshiping them.
Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar
Certainly a misguided group of people, in my opinion! I think the culprit is not having enough pride in ourselves, our culture, our philosophy etc. that makes us forget the basic values of respect to other human beings and the ability to discern good from bad. Otherwise they would not be idolizing culprits such as Salman and Pancholi. It is the superficial nature of so-called savvy and modern culture is the reason why such shallow people are idolized only for their good looks and supposed charisma.

I don;t think parents in that group would not have tried to teach the kids the right values? so what could be the reason? Whatever that reason maybe, there should be a cause for concern to the parents, because now, the kids are only voicing their firm opinions, tomorrow they may even try to emulate their sick role models! :blink:

Yes Kalyani, there is a lax attitude amog people with regard to crime and corruption, they seem to take it in their stride , even praising those who manage to get away !

Nowadays no one reads autobiographies or biographies of truly great men any more, nor do the supposed role models of today try to live up to the greatness they are bestowed with . I personally feel the kind of role models we get nowadays are simply not good at all. Come to think of it, there ARE NO role models beyond Bollywood and cricket left! He who has money, looks and is able to make it on page 3, becomes a role model, not withstanding where and how the money comes from!

People idol worship those from Bollywood and cricket as the media generally focus only on them. Its not that there aren't any people left from other fields who are worthy of being a role model. But media generally do not write much about their lives or works as they are not considered glamorous enough. For instance, Kailash Satyarthi has been doing noble works for such a long time now but came to limelight only recently after he became a Noble peace prize winner. Before that I haven't come across much about his works in the media. On the other hand, take any Bollywood actor. As soon as they do 1 film, they will show their face each and everywhere including reality shows, malls, road shows, every magazines etc making them more popular. So, the youth tend to end up idol worshiping them.

Exactly....I think the issue here is also about the role and responsibility or rather, the lack of it on media's part. To make their papers or magazines or channels work, they publish news and items featuring only such shallow people and not the ones who are really contributing to the society. The goals of media has been twisted and distorted to such an extent that they no longer care about sensitivity, honesty and integrity. So I guess it is left to us as parents to introduce our children to the real models of the society.

Exactly....I think the issue here is also about the role and responsibility or rather, the lack of it on media's part. To make their papers or magazines or channels work, they publish news and items featuring only such shallow people and not the ones who are really contributing to the society. The goals of media has been twisted and distorted to such an extent that they no longer care about sensitivity, honesty and integrity. So I guess it is left to us as parents to introduce our children to the real models of the society.

The real need is to make children think themselves as to what is good or bad and guide them aainst personality cult of any type. It is the personality cult that helps politicians, film stars and religious personalities to hynotize people. It is not only film stars who take advantage of personality cult and hero worship mentality. The maximum advantage is taken by politicians- from Addol Hitler to Stalin, Indira Gandhi to Modi, un(saints) like Asha Ram, 1008 Ravi Shankar etc.
Personality cult is inbuilt in Indian system. We wait for some God incarnate to come and rescue us when sins are in excess. Yada yada hi dharmasya--- (God visits earth for protecting innocents, punishing sinners----- when religion or dharma diminishes). .

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

I totally agree with that ! How many intellectuals , social workers and others who contribute positively get interviewed and even when that is done how many people watch ? That is the million dollar question because I see even adults changing channels when there is a serious educative discussion going on. We can blame ourselves for this !

Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.