Chennai, the fourth largest city in India, and ranked among the best cities to live in, continues to grow by leaps and bounds.  The city has expanded to over sixty kilometers on three sides, and on the fourth side, it has the sea for company, and hence expansion along the sea is not possible, though beyond the sea, there is terrific development.

Chennai is also home to the best restaurant in South India, called the Saravana Bhavan.  This is the largest group of restaurants in South India, with a huge number of branches in Chennai itself.

The main advantage is the way the food is cooked here.  Everything is done fresh, and only after the order is placed by the customer.

It is the first choice of any tourist from any part of India, and the hundreds of thousands who come to Chennai, drop in to have the best food,  It is there in every big locality of Chennai.

It is a pure vegetarian hotel, and one has to taste the sambar to find out why these people are special. 

So, when you are next in Chennai, drop in and eat till you say stop.  Well, the food is very costly, for just three people, have at least 1200 rupees for a breakfast.  It is worth it, after all.

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

I have heard of Saravana  Bhavan from friends who occasionally visit Chennai. They claim that the coffee there is to die for. I already have put it in my list of things to do when I come to Chennai!

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

We lived in Chennai for two years and the highlight of our stay was visits to Saravana Bhavan at least once a fortnight to have either Masala dosas or vegetarian Thali which is one of the best you can have ..Chennai is a traditional city and although it has many shortcomings it is still a good city to live in...

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Yes, the coffee is a highly standardized filter coffee, for, the hotel practices the concept of Total Quality Management.  The food tastes the same everywhere -- even in Dubai, when I had been to that country.  They have standardized everything.

Kindly try the dosas.  They are simply superb, and get prepared with the highest quality of oil and other raw materials.  The chutneys are so famous too-- every customer eats every bit of bit. 

It might interest you to know that this hotel has branches in New York, London, Singapore, Canada and a few other countries as well. 

Hotel Saravana Bhavan is the Largest Vegetarian Hotel in India. This Hotel offers south Indian recipes and have about 30 outlets in Chennai. They have some branches in out side of India also.

They are maintaining the quality in food for the price you are offering. Yes prices are high but for the taste you can give that money.

Dosas of Dasprakasa hotel are also famous but must try Saravana Bhavan dosas. Good information.

The competitor to saravana bhavan in chennai is Adayar Ananda Bavan. But saravana bhavan foods are very delightful comparing with A2B. Though saravana bhavan concentrating and selling sweets A2B is the leader in sweets. These two are maintaing their quality of foods and satisfying the people by their service. Saravana bavan dosa with coconut chutney and sambar gives you a different taste. You can also visit Ratna cafe in triplicane,chennai it is famous for idly and sambar. People visit this cafe for mainly idly with sambar and the sambar is really good taste.

Saravan bhavan is great. Food is too tasty, but too costly. Good to depend during a short visit in Chennai, if quality is your main concern. 

After reading most of the post here, it gives me the impression that most of you are already aware of the high quality food that saravana bhavan offers. In case I have to visit Chennai sooner or later will drop by and get the first hand experience of the food.

“A mistake is a crash-course in learning” – Billy Anderson

RAMAKRISHNAN. A wrote:

Saravan bhavan is great. Food is too tasty, but too costly. Good to depend during a short visit in Chennai, if quality is your main concern. 

How much does a masala dosa and idly sambhar cost? or information purposes pl.

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.