Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
vijay wrote:
RAMAKRISHNAN. A wrote:

Saravan bhavan is great. Food is too tasty, but too costly. Good to depend during a short visit in Chennai, if quality is your main concern. 

How much does a masala dosa and idly sambhar cost? or information purposes pl.

Idly(2) with sambar costs around Rs.40 and for masala dosa it costs Rs.65. The rates will differ according to A/C and Non A/c.

I do not know the exact amounts as on date, I like in Coimbatore.  I am very sure, a masala dosa should set you back by Rs.75/-, at the bare minimum, that is, in an non-AC environment.  Four iddlis is what is given, but the size is very small indeed.  Each should cost Rs.14-, which is a guess.  So, it should be Rs.56/-.  Please do not forget the tax that is promptly added. 

Yes, the taste of the Sambar is simply excellent, and customers do not still mind the cost.  Their only exception is Vellore, where they have not been a roaring success.  They seem to have had some secret understanding with the famous Annapoorna group of Coimbatore.  This fellow has not gone to Chennai.  The Saravana Bhavan people are not there in Coimbatore.  Otherwise, by this time, they would have minted money here too.

Sir, these days I live in Coimbatore.  But here is a guess.  They give you four pieces of iddli in a plate.  Assuming each at Rs.14/-, be prepared to part with Rs.56/- in a non-AC environment.  Taxes are added too.

For a masala Dosa, I am sure you will have to spend at least Rs75/-

Thank god, I didn't visit this Sarravana Bhavan hotel ,though I visited Chennai several times. Even in this  beautiful weather of B'luru, where I arrived 2 days ago,   a chill was experienced through my spine after knowing the prices. What the hotel is giving? A gram of gold? 

Whether it is gold or not, only the customers have to say!!!

Well, they use the best of oil, the best of raw materials, the organically produced coconut from Pollachi, a beautiful town near Coimbatore, and so on.  And they give you the purest of the purest RO water.  So the upper middle classes and the rich do not mind the huge prices.

Yes, the prices are very high, and they increase the prices every six months.

No consumer forum has ever tried to argue with them.  They are simply a class apart, and many B schools are learning lessons in TQM only from this hotel. 

Nowadays, one cannot go inside unless one has one at least rupees five hundred even for a breakfast.

High cost doesn't mean always quality. The business man has to add the cost of maintenance, which includes rentals, wages of the staff and taxes, which are thrusted on the consumer. Non profit  organisations  are supplying the food items using best of the materials with half of the cost charged by these posh hotels located in posh localities. Though such hotels are located in remote areas, people go in search of them.

Most Udipi hotels in Pune charge about 30-50 rupees for idli sambhar and dosas cost Rs 60 onwards. Some hotels offer good quality stuff with great taste but some have really mediocre fare and yet the charges are high. But SB on the other hand charge about that much and the taste and quality are both great, so I think the food is worth shelling out that amount.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Hotel saravana bavan giving janatha meals for people who are not spending much money and wants to taste the meals. I don't know how much it cost now but in 2013 it cost Rs.50 for that they will give you 1plate rice,1cup sambar,1cup rasam. It is fixed price and you cannot ask anything more if you are ready to pay the money for that. Most people who are not cooking in home and ready to spend money are making daily visit to saravana bhavan.

A meal for Rs. 50 in 2013 is definitely a reasonable price.

Janatha meal cost only Rs.50 in 2013 but normal and special meals(with chappati and sweet) cost Rs.75 and 95 respectively in 2013. I don't know whether they are offering Janatha meals right now. If any person asks janatha meals surrounding people will watch them because the quantity of the food is very less and you can't get more even if you are ready to pay for it. Janatha meals provided only in Non A/c restaurants. VAT prices are high.

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.