The topic is locked.
Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

While going through the posts I found so many interesting information. I felt it as fashion statement that has gained popularity among youths in recent times.In fact for quite long, I associated it with modern hippie culture as most of the Western music stars and Rockstars had pierced ears with rings.

Though I saw a lot of older people also having pierced ears in various parts of India, I never gave a deep thought about it.

I am surprised to know it's cultural roots and also it's significance

I am open to experience what life's mystery bag holds for me

www.arunimakunwar.blogspot.in

Ear lobe piercing is known as Karnvedh Sanskat, considered as an important ceremony in many Hindu traditions. It is usually performed during Sixth month or Seventh month. Ear piercing is done for both male and female child.

rambabu wrote:

Ear lobe piercing is known as Karnvedh Sanskat, considered as an important ceremony in many Hindu traditions. It is usually performed during Sixth month or Seventh month. Ear piercing is done for both male and female child.

Yes it is ceremony in my community. It is called Pryogna. This ceremony performed when age of child is in odd number, 1.3.5.7.......

anil wrote:
rambabu wrote:

Yes it is ceremony in my community. It is called Pryogna. This ceremony performed when age of child is in odd number, 1.3.5.7.......

True Anil.. Though the ear lobe piercing can be done during the years of a child, 1,3,5 or 7, it is good   ear lobe piercing is performed  at the age of 3. Because the child suffers  less pain  and forgets the pain quickly..

anil wrote:
rambabu wrote:

Normally here at my place ear piercing is done for both girls and boys when they are a few months old since they don't feel the pain souch . The ear lobe is very tender and able to heal quickly..

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Yes. last month my grand daughter got her ear lobes pierced at the age of 4. Within days  she was healed.

recently while browsing google, I came across some articles which indicated that many other religions also had culture of wearing earrings. Evidence shows that ancient Persians and Egyptians use to wear earrings. Even William Shakespeare has shown to wear earrings in one of the picture.. I m not sure why these ancients cultures use to wear earrings, I guess there would be some valid reason.

Ear piercing custom is more than 5000 years old since mummies were found with earrings on their ears. Romans thought it was a status symbol to adorn their ears with previous stones  and we read about ear piercing  and earrings with reference to Karma in Mahabharat which is the most ancient epic .

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Kana Vedha or ear piercing. is a Hindu tradition extensively practiced in India. It is an important event in every Hindu family

I think this is a sheer personal style and fashion. I don't understand how an earring can make you calm. Calmness depends on your attitude. However, this is more a psychological issue. If somebody has faith in supernatural things and gems, he may be mentally satisfied with such things. 

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.