The topic is locked.
Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
Shampa Sadhya wrote:
Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:

@Jabeen, I can only answer the part of Urad dal, as I use it often to temper various dishes. While adding urad dal along with mustard seeds, you only need to add a spoonful of urad dal to the hot oil. It is used here as a part of tempering which adds to the aroma and gives a crunchy texture to the curry.

Even urad dal is used as tempering while making upma. Am I right @Kalyani? I use urad dal and chana dal both in tempering the upma dish. Aroma as well as the crunchy taste makes the dish delicious.    

Yes Shampa, it is used along with chana dal for tempering while makng upma. Both the dals give a nice aroma to the dish and also add an interesting crunch to the texture.,

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Thank you said by: Shampa Sadhya
Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
Shampa Sadhya wrote:
Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:

@Jabeen, I can only answer the part of Urad dal, as I use it often to temper various dishes. While adding urad dal along with mustard seeds, you only need to add a spoonful of urad dal to the hot oil. It is used here as a part of tempering which adds to the aroma and gives a crunchy texture to the curry.

Even urad dal is used as tempering while making upma. Am I right @Kalyani? I use urad dal and chana dal both in tempering the upma dish. Aroma as well as the crunchy taste makes the dish delicious.    

Yes Shampa, it is used along with chana dal for tempering while makng upma. Both the dals give a nice aroma to the dish and also add an interesting crunch to the texture.,

Bengalis never use dals for tempering while making upma so I too used to make the dish in Bengali style but one day I learnt a whole new method of preparing it from a Maharashtrian relative. Now, I am very particular about it. Upma without dals is a big no-no. Even my husband loves it very much. So, I must say tempering with urad dal does not apply to curries only but it tastes well on variety of other dishes too.      

shampasaid

Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar

Another popular dish cooked for ugadi is coconut rice . It is made by frying mustard,peanuts, urad dhal,chana dhal , red chillies,green chillies and finally adding grated coconut and coriander leaves to it and cooked rice with required salt. Mix well and we normally serve this with sambhar , pickle and tomato raita.

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Thank you said by: Shampa Sadhya, Kalyani Nandurkar
usha manohar wrote:

Another popular dish cooked for ugadi is coconut rice . It is made by frying mustard,peanuts, urad dhal,chana dhal , red chillies,green chillies and finally adding grated coconut and coriander leaves to it and cooked rice with required salt. Mix well and we normally serve this with sambhar , pickle and tomato raita.

This is another easy to cook recipe. It would make for a very fulfilling meal. In place of tomato raita, will it taste good with bondi raita too? 

shampasaid

Thank you said by: usha manohar
Shampa Sadhya wrote:
usha manohar wrote:

This is another easy to cook recipe. It would make for a very fulfilling meal. In place of tomato raita, will it taste good with bondi raita too? 

I am sure it will taste good with any raita and vegetable curry...

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Thank you said by: Shampa Sadhya

@Usha

Thank you for all three recipes. Will try it some time.

Thank you said by: usha manohar

Normally during festivals we serve food on banana leaves which I feel adds a special touch to the meal. Serving different dishes on the proper side if the leaf is an essential part of the meal. A little salt and pickle is served first on the top right hand side of the leaf and then the salad , upkaris ( sabji) , rice and so on...a little rice is served after the dessert . Normally people like to finish the meal with curd rice.  

usha manohar wrote:

Normally during festivals we serve food on banana leaves which I feel adds a special touch to the meal. Serving different dishes on the proper side if the leaf is an essential part of the meal. A little salt and pickle is served first on the top right hand side of the leaf and then the salad , upkaris ( sabji) , rice and so on...a little rice is served after the dessert . Normally people like to finish the meal with curd rice.  

In southern states, meals are often finished with curd rice or by adding buttermilk to the rice. It gives a coolant effect to the stomach I guess.

Reena wrote:
usha manohar wrote:

In southern states, meals are often finished with curd rice or by adding buttermilk to the rice. It gives a coolant effect to the stomach I guess.

Yes, curd or buttermilk also makes digestion easy. In Maharashtra too, it is a tradition to finish the meal by eating a little curd and rice combination.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
Reena wrote:
usha manohar wrote:

Yes, curd or buttermilk also makes digestion easy. In Maharashtra too, it is a tradition to finish the meal by eating a little curd and rice combination.

Especially now during hot summer days it is such a blessing to have curds or buttermilk along with your meals. Curd rice with tempering along with puckled is the most delicious meal one can think of during summer.

Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.