The topic is locked.
Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

Hi Shampa, Arunima, Kalyani , I am sharing the two recipes below ..

Tender Cashewnut kheer

Normally the tender cashew is very soft with soft skin that can be easily peeled.we require about 250 gms of peeled cashew kernels.

Roast one teaspoon full of rice with some ghee and powder it coarsely.

Grind  a handful of peeled cashew kernels with milk.

Mix the rice powder with cashew paste and milk and cook on slow fire.Add sugar and keep mixing . When it begins to thicken add the rest of the tender cashews , some chopped and sons whole , and cook until the right consistency is reached . Keep adding milk if required. Add cardomom powder and fried raisins once it is done.

Mango curry

We use mangoes that are normally stringy and are used for making curry , if not available ,  can take any variety of ripe mangoes, smaller in size. Peel the outer skin and put the whole mangoes in a shallow dish . Boil two cups of water and pour it over the peeled mangoes and keep it aside.

Grind some coconut scrapings with  one tsp roasted jeera and a tsp of raw mustard seeds .keep aside.

Heat some oil , usually coconut oil , in a pan and add mustard seeds and urad dhal. When it is browned add crushed garlic, green chillies and curry leaves and fry well. Add turmeric powder , red chilly powder and the ground paste . Mix well and add the mangoes with the water. Add salt , some jaggery and more water if needed and let t cook on slow fire for about 10 mins . Add more seasonings and water if required. Once the gravy thickens add some coriander leaves .

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Usha, thank you for both the recipes. I will try them as soon as I can and let you know. They are so simple and delicious!

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

usha manohar wrote:

Tender Cashewnut kheer

Normally the tender cashew is very soft with soft skin that can be easily peeled.we require about 250 gms of peeled cashew kernels.

Mix the rice powder with cashew paste and milk and cook on slow fire.Add sugar and keep mixing . When it begins to thicken add the rest of the tender cashews , some chopped and sons whole , and cook until the right consistency is reached . Keep adding milk if required. Add cardomom powder and fried raisins once it is done.

Mango curry

We use mangoes that are normally stringy and are used for making curry , if not available ,  can take any variety of ripe mangoes, smaller in size. Peel the outer skin and put the whole mangoes in a shallow dish . Boil two cups of water and pour it over the peeled mangoes and keep it aside.

Grind some coconut scrapings with  one tsp roasted jeera and a tsp of raw mustard seeds .keep aside.

Heat some oil , usually coconut oil , in a pan and add mustard seeds and urad dhal. When it is browned add crushed garlic, green chillies and curry leaves and fry well. Add turmeric powder , red chilly powder and the ground paste . Mix well and add the mangoes with the water. Add salt , some jaggery and more water if needed and let t cook on slow fire for about 10 mins . Add more seasonings and water if required. Once the gravy thickens add some coriander leaves .

Thank you very much for the recipes. I would love to prepare it and taste these new dishes. I have never bought tender cashews so my first job is to find out where to get tender cashews. If I get it then I would definitely give it a try. 

shampasaid

usha manohar wrote:

Tender Cashewnut kheer

Mango curry

Sounds tasty. But I need a clarification. In the recipe for mango curry, you mentioned that the whole mangoes are to be used. May I know if it makes any difference if they are cut in smaller pieces and the seeds are removed before cooking? I mean with seeds, it might be inconvenient to eat. 

Also how much urad dal is to be used? Should they be used like spices or should their quantities be normally which we use in making curry?

Cashew nuts kheer also sound interesting but its not grown here. And I doubt if dry ones available in the market can substitute the freshly grown ones.

@Jabeen, I can only answer the part of Urad dal, as I use it often to temper various dishes. While adding urad dal along with mustard seeds, you only need to add a spoonful of urad dal to the hot oil. It is used here as a part of tempering which adds to the aroma and gives a crunchy texture to the curry.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Thank you said by: jabeen
Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:

@Jabeen, I can only answer the part of Urad dal, as I use it often to temper various dishes. While adding urad dal along with mustard seeds, you only need to add a spoonful of urad dal to the hot oil. It is used here as a part of tempering which adds to the aroma and gives a crunchy texture to the curry.

Never knew that urad dal can be used for tempering spices. I was aware of its use as a curry only, that's why got confused. Surprisingly I ve learned lots of new recipes from this site.

jabeen wrote:
Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:

Never knew that urad dal can be used for tempering spices. I was aware of its use as a curry only, that's why got confused. Surprisingly I ve learned lots of new recipes from this site.

urad dal is an important ingredient  of South Indian tadkas and tempering used fro curries as well as chutneys.

Good that you asked about the seed part of the mango. Even I have the same query. Waiting from clarification from Usha.

I am open to experience what life's mystery bag holds for me

www.arunimakunwar.blogspot.in

Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar
jabeen wrote:
usha manohar wrote:

Tender Cashewnut kheer

Mango curry

Sounds tasty. But I need a clarification. In the recipe for mango curry, you mentioned that the whole mangoes are to be used. May I know if it makes any difference if they are cut in smaller pieces and the seeds are removed before cooking? I mean with seeds, it might be inconvenient to eat. 

Also how much urad dal is to be used? Should they be used like spices or should their quantities be normally which we use in making curry?

Cashew nuts kheer also sound interesting but its not grown here. And I doubt if dry ones available in the market can substitute the freshly grown ones.

Here we make curry using whole mangoes as well as cut mangoes , but the ingredients are different. I am sure the curry tastes the same with both whole and cut mangoes... So, you can definitely use mango pieces instead of using whole mangoes..

Urad dhal like it has already been pointed out by Kalyani and Arunima is used for tempering vegetable curries. In fact we use both urad dhal and chana dhal along with mustard ,jeera and curry leaves for tempering most curries.

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Thank you said by: Arunima Singh, Shampa Sadhya, jabeen

@Usha

I too would like to try the recipe. Kindly share it. Pictures will help too.

Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:

Even urad dal is used as tempering while making upma. Am I right @Kalyani? I use urad dal and chana dal both in tempering the upma dish. Aroma as well as the crunchy taste makes the dish delicious.    

shampasaid

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.