I see a lot of Boddunan members voicing concerns to remove inactive moderators and requesting Maverick to hire new and active moderators, but what I would like to discuss is what should be the role and scope of the moderator.

Moderator isn't a person who just moderates a forum, he/she also takes care of many things and basically is responsible for keeping the forum clean, neat and quality.

I am a moderator/editor for a freelancing site too but before offering any inputs I would like to know what you all think (The site I work with has different work ethics and business model so not all advice would be relevant).

So members, start sharing your thoughts and opinions and let us know what you think should come under the scope of moderator and what you expect from your moderator.
Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
A moderator should at least once a day go through all posts in his area of operation and weed out such posts or material as is contrary to site policy or is objectionable for reason as containing adult matter or insult. He should also go through report of members intimating undesirable matter and delete the contents if found correct. His another job is to give necessary advice and help to members if required by them.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

You really summed it well Gulshanji. Also, moderators should frequently drop the FAQ links to the new members when new members start repetitive topics or are just starting the thread to gain points. That way we would be supportive of the new members and also will keep the forum clean.
Gulshanji explained very well and I am seeing the Moderators are working very nice in Boddunan site.Thanks to all Moderators.

www.mobileeduhut.blogspot.in
Arun,

I think what Gulshanji has specified is completely apt meaning for moderator. However, atleast visit the site daily and active participation or suggestion should be expected from moderator.
SO true Rajani, also I think it would be a nice idea to have a team page on top of the forums, where it will be more prominent. So a member can directly contact a moderator for help.
Yes that is very good idea and people can have assistance immediately.
Thank you Arun, Gulshanji and all those who shared your view. Let me share my views.

A moderator is who

1. actively participate in the forum regularly if not daily
2. look after unsolicited posts and remove them
3. advise new users with what to do and what not to whenever needed
4. encourage people to post quality content rather than unused ones like thank you, agree, yes etc.
5. owns up the forums with full dedication
6. often updates the site documents/help topics if it is required.

Boddunan is looking for people who can do the justice to moderator role by having the above qualities and would be ready to work with them. I hope I have summed up the topic.

When opportunity is in front of you, don't hesitate to catch it. It will never come to you again. - Maverick

Thank you Arun, Gulshanji and all those who shared your view. Let me share my views.

A moderator is who

1. actively participate in the forum regularly if not daily
2. look after unsolicited posts and remove them
3. advise new users with what to do and what not to whenever needed
4. encourage people to post quality content rather than unused ones like thank you, agree, yes etc.
5. owns up the forums with full dedication
6. often updates the site documents/help topics if it is required.

Boddunan is looking for people who can do the justice to moderator role by having the above qualities and would be ready to work with them. I hope I have summed up the topic.

Is a moderator authorized to remove useless posts like 'Thank you', 'agree' etc at item 4 above? Also, can he edit others' posts and correct spelling and grammar? Please reply.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

Yes maverick is the 4 th option true and can he/she edit also as lot of grammar and spelling mistakes are often done by members and some people do not type full word( they use sms language).
If editing or removing authority is given the present moderators lik gulshan ji and kalyani can do it. I also suggest to hire new moderators if you really feel that the present people are not able to handle the situation. :unsure: :)
What I understood is that one who contrtol the discussion.So when an irrelavant discussion comes in moderator should stop it.But here it is impossible!

Visit my blogs:

http://abidareacode.blogspot.com
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.