Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
Its my favorite morning breakfast. Of course, it is an easy one to prepare as my mom doing in home. Idli is full of carbohydrate and sambar is rich with vitamins and minerals since it has many vegetables in it.
So says a study conducted by “ India Breakfast habits study” covering metros like Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata. The study further says Chennai’s favourite Breakfast, Three Idlis, a bowl of sambar and a tumbler of filter Kaapi has the most ideal and adequate nutritional content .

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Idli-sambhar-most-nutritious-breakfast/articleshow/22129608.cms

Three Idlis, no way I have already eaten 6 in the morning when left for my classes at 8-30 with a big bowl full of sambhar and another 4 on my return at 3 PM. I have had this habit during my stay in south India, I can live on these for months. Yes I take Dahi and chutney as additives with sambhar as no chana chutney is available here.

Wow that's quite a big quantity. Is that the secret of your energy ?

No doubt idli and sambar is nutritional breakfast. But it is good in south but in north. Here no one satisfied with this breakfast. We like to eat prontha and curd in break fast, some time bread.

I agree with you but once a family has spent time in south, they become addicted to south Indian foods that is healthy, oil less and easy to cook and the best part is, tasty too. My wife is expert on many items including Idly, dosa, sanbhar, bada and she can add north Indian style while cooking these.

It is right but food which are good in south may be not good in north. For example coconut oil is used in south and it is best for that climate. But in north we use mustured oil or soyabeen oil. these are best for north climate. We are using different material in making idly and dosa. here we are not using usual idly and dosa mix i.e. rice and urd dal. Here we are using suzi (wheat) in preparing south Indian dishes.

Of course oil and dal are your choice but you need no oil for cooking sambhar and Idli. Also one can use oil of his choice as we do not use coconut oil for making Vada but Soy mainly.

I love this free image hosting site for sharing my work

https://o0.nz/

:pinch:
So says a study conducted by “ India Breakfast habits study” covering metros like Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata. The study further says Chennai’s favourite Breakfast, Three Idlis, a bowl of sambar and a tumbler of filter Kaapi has the most ideal and adequate nutritional content .

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Idli-sambhar-most-nutritious-breakfast/articleshow/22129608.cms

Three Idlis, no way I have already eaten 6 in the morning when left for my classes at 8-30 with a big bowl full of sambhar and another 4 on my return at 3 PM. I have had this habit during my stay in south India, I can live on these for months. Yes I take Dahi and chutney as additives with sambhar as no chana chutney is available here.

No doubt idli and sambar is nutritional breakfast. But it is good in south but in north. Here no one satisfied with this breakfast. We like to eat prontha and curd in break fast, some time bread.

I agree with you but once a family has spent time in south, they become addicted to south Indian foods that is healthy, oil less and easy to cook and the best part is, tasty too. My wife is expert on many items including Idly, dosa, sanbhar, bada and she can add north Indian style while cooking these.

It is right but food which are good in south may be not good in north. For example coconut oil is used in south and it is best for that climate. But in north we use mustured oil or soyabeen oil. these are best for north climate. We are using different material in making idly and dosa. here we are not using usual idly and dosa mix i.e. rice and urd dal. Here we are using suzi (wheat) in preparing south Indian dishes.

You are mistaken. Entire south India is not using coconut oil. I'm from south. AP. we use groundnut oil. And there 3 more other states in south India. Each state will use different cooking medium.

Thats right ! Although we use coconut oil for cooking, it is only for certaindishes like fish and certain vegetables which taste better with the coconut flavor otherwise most people use groundnut or sunflower oil..How can you use sooji instead of rice while preparing south Indian dishes ? Is it Rava idly?

Perhaps he meant "Upma "

You are mistaken. Entire south India is not using coconut oil. I'm from south. AP. we use groundnut oil. And there 3 more other states in south India. Each state will use different cooking medium.

Thats right ! Although we use coconut oil for cooking, it is only for certaindishes like fish and certain vegetables which taste better with the coconut flavor otherwise most people use groundnut or sunflower oil..How can you use sooji instead of rice while preparing south Indian dishes ? Is it Rava idly?

Perhaps he meant "Upma "

No we can use suzi also for making Idlis we mix them with rice, that is the beauty of mixing recipes.

I love this free image hosting site for sharing my work

https://o0.nz/

Perhaps he meant "Upma "

No we can use suzi also for making Idlis we mix them with rice, that is the beauty of mixing recipes.

Yes. Sky is the limit. Its only through constant experimenting new recipes come out.
Idli- sambar is not limited to Chennai or metros for mornings only but consumed every where for any meal. I know it is easy and tasty to cook south Indian meals. I love eating these items, any time any day and I am from north.
Idli- sambar is not limited to Chennai or metros for mornings only but consumed every where for any meal. I know it is easy and tasty to cook south Indian meals. I love eating these items, any time any day and I am from north.

Taste will not know the region or religion. Good you love this nutritional morning meal.

Taste will not know the region or religion. Good you love this nutritional morning meal.

Although its not limited to particular place but authentic stuff always gets missed. I love idli and enjoyed it lot in pune but now here in punjabeithervidli bad sambar good or vice versa. Sagar ratna although is good at it but still it is badly missed.

Life is a box of Chocolate, You never know what you gonna get.... :)
www.InstantKhichri.blogspot.in

No doubt taste is universal and not limited to any place but the originality of preparation is lost at other places. Dosa in Tamilnadu may differ from that in Punjab.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

No doubt taste is universal and not limited to any place but the originality of preparation is lost at other places. Dosa in Tamilnadu may differ from that in Punjab.

Yes i too observed it. Samosa's taste in a Northern state will not be same as a samosa made in AP.
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.