Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
If true it does show that there was no unanimity on Article 370 even when it was being framed. However these days there is a school of thought which tries to lay blame on everything wrong on Nehru and show Patel and others in good light. When a team takes a decision, then individual members cannot later on disassociate from it to escape responsibility . Similarly vested interests will try to create a divide but the responsibility still remains. If those who are now sought to be portrayed as having kept quiet or cooperated under force had shown courage and resigned perhaps we would not be having this problem today. This is also a part of a new ideology taking hold.

The school of thought you are alluding to, of blaming Nehru Gandhi family for everything might be a current trend but it is hardly wrong. Where the question of article 370 and circumstances around its formation are concerned, one can hardly ignore the fact that Nehru was hellbent on pleasing Sheikh Abdullah with respect to Kashmir rather than any one else, an occurrence we have off and on again and again So ideology or not, it is the truth!

To my mind the sooner it goes out of our Constitution the better and this is the single most contributor of divisiveness between India and J&K but the million dollar question is whether such noises are at all serious or just to needle the Abdullah family which has been treating the region as the 'parental estate of it'!!
If true it does show that there was no unanimity on Article 370 even when it was being framed. However these days there is a school of thought which tries to lay blame on everything wrong on Nehru and show Patel and others in good light. When a team takes a decision, then individual members cannot later on disassociate from it to escape responsibility . Similarly vested interests will try to create a divide but the responsibility still remains. If those who are now sought to be portrayed as having kept quiet or cooperated under force had shown courage and resigned perhaps we would not be having this problem today. This is also a part of a new ideology taking hold.

The school of thought you are alluding to, of blaming Nehru Gandhi family for everything might be a current trend but it is hardly wrong. Where the question of article 370 and circumstances around its formation are concerned, one can hardly ignore the fact that Nehru was hellbent on pleasing Sheikh Abdullah with respect to Kashmir rather than any one else, an occurrence we have off and on again and again So ideology or not, it is the truth!

To my mind the sooner it goes out of our Constitution the better and this is the single most contributor of divisiveness between India and J&K but the million dollar question is whether such noises are at all serious or just to needle the Abdullah family which has been treating the region as the 'parental estate of it'!!

I feel that the 'noises' are not meant to simply needle the Abdullah family but the way things have been handled with J&K until recently, they have been asking for it. They have been treating the state as their rightful estate granted by birthright which is what has kept the state away from any progress. Also I feel the reason the new government has immediately taken up the issue is because of displacement of thousands of Kashmiri pandits from their rightful homes and unwillingness of Abdullah family and UPA government to do anything about it. This has been an issue that has been swept under the carpet for a long time and hence, sooner it is addressed now, the better!

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

I feel that the 'noises' are not meant to simply needle the Abdullah family but the way things have been handled with J&K until recently, they have been asking for it. They have been treating the state as their rightful estate granted by birthright which is what has kept the state away from any progress. Also I feel the reason the new government has immediately taken up the issue is because of displacement of thousands of Kashmiri pandits from their rightful homes and unwillingness of Abdullah family and UPA government to do anything about it. This has been an issue that has been swept under the carpet for a long time and hence, sooner it is addressed now, the better!

@Kalyani

You have brought up the most crucial and most tragic aspect of the problem - the plight of 'Kashmiri Pandits'. They have been forgotten by their own people!!!

@Kalyani

You have brought up the most crucial and most tragic aspect of the problem - the plight of 'Kashmiri Pandits'. They have been forgotten by their own people!!!

The National Conference is very indifferent to Jammu region, Ladakh region and Kashmiri pandits of the valley. Then how does the National conference and others in the valley claim to represent the aspirations of whole people of Jammu & Kashmir. In fact, they do not represent the whole state of J & K and so have no authroity whatsoever to blackmail the union government in name of people of J & K. .

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar
We are looking at events in 1947 and during the framing of the Constitution with the glasses of today and that is muddling the issue greatly. Article 370 is an outcome of the wisdom of those times. Right or wrong that is the reality. Casting aspersions on Nehru that his only aim was to please Sheikh Abdullah is not fair and is based on the current moves to build a new ideology by humiliating the old ideology of a particular person. The National Conference (NC) has kept the state with India and for this they have been viciously attacked by separatist groups. They are not communal. If they were then in 1947 they could have swung it way from India. In today's electoral euphoria let us not forget the good of the past. Let us not pass judgments with half knowledge.

Yes Kashmiri Pandits must go back with respect. Yes there should be a debate for need for Article 370 or its removal. But not under threats. Yes the problem is limited geographically to the valley and Ladakh and Jammu regions are for full integration with India. So it is a challenge to win the trust of the valley residents even when a good number of them are for India. Both threats and patronizing attitudes will be counter productive.This is a challenge before the Central govt.
Thank you said by: Gulshan Kumar Ajmani
We are looking at events in 1947 and during the framing of the Constitution with the glasses of today and that is muddling the issue greatly. Article 370 is an outcome of the wisdom of those times. Right or wrong that is the reality. Casting aspersions on Nehru that his only aim was to please Sheikh Abdullah is not fair and is based on the current moves to build a new ideology by humiliating the old ideology of a particular person. The National Conference (NC) has kept the state with India and for this they have been viciously attacked by separatist groups. They are not communal. If they were then in 1947 they could have swung it way from India. In today's electoral euphoria let us not forget the good of the past. Let us not pass judgments with half knowledge.

Yes Kashmiri Pandits must go back with respect. Yes there should be a debate for need for Article 370 or its removal. But not under threats. Yes the problem is limited geographically to the valley and Ladakh and Jammu regions are for full integration with India. So it is a challenge to win the trust of the valley residents even when a good number of them are for India. Both threats and patronizing attitudes will be counter productive.This is a challenge before the Central govt.

I agree that National conference is not communal. But they could not protect Kashmiri Pandits from communal elements. I agree that discussion should be in amicable environment, there should be no undue haste in repealing article 370. Also I have to reiterate that you cannot talk about Kashmiri only ignoring Jammu and Ladakh.

I agree that National conference is not communal. But they could not protect Kashmiri Pandits from communal elements. I agree that discussion should be in amicable environment, there should be no undue haste in repealing article 370. Also I have to reiterate that you cannot talk about Kashmiri only ignoring Jammu and Ladakh.

J&K today is one because of article 370. Once it is removed the State will break up into Ladakh, Valley and Jammu going in three different directions because neither language nor religion binds them together. One of them will feel perhaps much ore alienated than it is today.

J&K today is one because of article 370. Once it is removed the State will break up into Ladakh, Valley and Jammu going in three different directions because neither language nor religion binds them together. One of them will feel perhaps much ore alienated than it is today.

Article 370 just defines the relation and functions of center and state. It is fallacious to say that the state will break in three parts if article 370 is removed. However, states can always be reorganized. There is nothing wrong if Ladakh is taken out and administered as union territory.

Article 370 just defines the relation and functions of center and state. It is fallacious to say that the state will break in three parts if article 370 is removed. However, states can always be reorganized. There is nothing wrong if Ladakh is taken out and administered as union territory.

We have had states breaking up even under normal circumstances so that can easily be tackled....The removal of article 370 actually gives more power, freedom and scope for growth in the entire region and more importantly gives less reason for Pakistan to make a major issue out of it..

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

We have had states breaking up even under normal circumstances so that can easily be tackled....The removal of article 370 actually gives more power, freedom and scope for growth in the entire region and more importantly gives less reason for Pakistan to make a major issue out of it..

True...and when one has already decided that Nehru is simply too great and infallible, then one can present all sorts of arguments about how he is being wrongly judged from today's point of view and so on and so forth. These same people chose to remain silent on more critical issues of Kashmiri pandits, chose not to say anything when they were chased out of their homes and state and now that issue of repealing article 370 has been brought forth, they are crying out how it separate Kashmir from India, which seems rather silly!

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.