The topic is locked.
Hi All,

Here is this week's topic for group discussion.

"Is cricket hampering the growth of other sports?"
Topic suggested by Santhosh Singh

To know more about this contest Click Here

We are giving 50 points for all the members who post atleast 3 valid replies on Group Discussion topic. Replies should be in a constructive manner either oppose of supporting the topic.

Wish you all the best and be creative, informative and be sportive in taking feedback.

When opportunity is in front of you, don't hesitate to catch it. It will never come to you again. - Maverick

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
Hello Friends. Lohit Seth Here.

This time GD topic is "Is cricket hampering the growth of other sports? I think this would be the very interesting topic and GD.

As per my thinking i don't think so cricket hampering the growth of other sports. Every sports have its organization and commity. So /its their responsibility to make their sports famous. BCCI also made it. Hockey is the nation game of our India but it is also famous yet it is not getting so much growth like cricket.

Indian team is very strong in cricket field, this is also the one of the reason cricket have more growth. Hockey team not getting the right resources and facilities and other sports also this can also be the reason of bad growth of other sports.
I would say that cricket is indeed hampering the growth of other sports in India. Sports like chess and hockey which has got us more recognition and gold medals is being overridden by cricket.

The main resposibility for this bias goes to the government for encouraging and patronising cricket. Hockey is indeed the national game of India, as said by Lohit, but it is a shame that we are not giving due recognition to our national game. There are many sponsorors and huge pay packets for cricketers. Why not for other games? India is known to the outsiders as only a cricket playing country.

If cricket is included in Olympics the performance of India is yet to be seen.. but it has already made a mark in hockey and other sports.
Hello,

A very good topic to discuss.

I think Cricket is not at all hampering the growth of other sports. This is because the national game being Hockey they are many supporters who are ready to watch the Hockey game if some good performance is shown by the Indian players. What really hurts is the poor organisation of other sports and performance of the players. Since Indian cricket team is very strong there is huge support for Indian cricket team. If same performance is shown by other sports players also we can find the same enthusiasm in the supporters as that of the cricket team.

I can even support my statement by saying that,presently there is soccer world cup going on on par with Asia Cup tournament, but many people even though there is no Indian team in the soccer world cup are preferring to watch those matches.

Regards,
Karthik.
I think Cricket is indeed hampering the growth of other sports!! Lohit made a good point about organisations being there for the other sports, which is a true fact! it also is the fact that the amount of media hype that cricket generates and the Five-star treatment that a cricketer gets is actually twisting the scenario of the sports scene! due to such type of publicity and hype the sponsors are mostly unwilling to back up other sports!

Take example of Vishwanathan Anand! in my opinion, he is a true hero! for years and years he has been consistent in his games, winning many accolades worldwide, but does he get his true worth!! Whereas take any cricketer, is there even a single player who has remained consistent throughout the career! Tehre are a couple of exceptions, but name even a single player who will match the prowess of Anand in terms of consistency and perseverence. I know with this statement, there is going to be a lot of argument regarding the difference in the games being compared, but what I am talking about is the general attitude of the players!!

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Finally the GD is about one of my favourite subject Cricket.

I think Cricket is not at all hampering the growth of other sports.It is all about likes and dislikes of people.what cricket has done to hamper other sports?take an example of country say australia, they are number one in
cricket, but dit it affect other sports in their country? they also perform excellent in every sporst from
athletics to hockey.
In case of India it's very true.We can easily find children playing cricket on ground,on street etc.
but hardly u can find children playing hockey,football.
all sports for that matter seems to improve when its made worth to play for,and i think the hype around cricket
assumes the same amount of incentive and and interest we allowed it to receive.same would apply to other sports
if and if only we can sow so as to reap.

what about my suggestion guys?
sajeetharan wrote:
[quote]

I think Cricket is not at all hampering the growth of other sports.It is all about likes and dislikes of people.what cricket has done to hamper other sports?take an example of country say australia, they are number one in
cricket, but dit it affect other sports in their country? they also perform excellent in every sporst from
athletics to hockey.
In case of India it's very true.We can easily find children playing cricket on ground,on street etc.
but hardly u can find children playing hockey,football.
all sports for that matter seems to improve when its made worth to play for,and i think the hype around cricket
assumes the same amount of incentive and and interest we allowed it to receive.same would apply to other sports
if and if only we can sow so as to reap.

what about my suggestion guys?[/quote]

The hype around cricket is true. It mainly stems from the partiality of the Indian Govt to Indian cricket. Leave alone other matches, the recently started T20 matches have lured people like anything.

Yes, everybody play cricket. Today who will remeber Dhyan Chand, who is still considered a hockey wizard? By it is not so in cricket.Everybody will remember Abhijit Kale or Sreesanth of yesterday.

And, in Australia, there are organisations concerned with every sport, but in india the major governing bodies are for only for cricket, hockey and perhaps chess. What abut billiard? snookers? Archery? The hero..Abhinav who has recently won the Olympic gold for shooting has been forgotten..

And as Kalyani said, many of the other players like Vishwanathatn Anand remained consistent without any bureaucratic attitude.
OK ...A very good topic to discuss in present scenario.

I have the opinion that cricket is hampering other sports directly and indirectly.

1) As Lohit said there are organizations for every sports in India.OK, but recently BCCI has offered money to pay to Hockey players.That means most of the associations are only an official set up to have a name.Actually BCCI has lots of money and we had seen two months ago how it came in.

2) When one sports pays huge amount to its players naturally the youth will turn to it only. It is not due to the beauty of the game but due to the money it pays.It is human to turn to money side.So where there is money all will be there.That is why it is popular in India among its citizen as well as officials.

3) Before getting Cricket this much popularity we were popular in many games like Football (Once we qualified for world cup also!!), Hockey , Kabadi etc.All those fame went behind curtain only due to the "Vuvuzela" sounded by the cricket and its fans!!

4)Lohit told, India is very strong in Cricket field. Yes , it is like the half nosed King in the country of noseless people. There is less than ten countries that play cricket well.To be king of them is not a great one.

5)Also regarding the performance of our cricket team in world cups in this year and last year there were a lot of discussions.The failure occured from the side of a highly paid team.At the same time as Kalyani told none cared when our Indian pride Viswanathan Anand landed after winning the world title.

6) As Sajeetharan said Australia is performing well in all games.Yes,that is because they are not focussing on a single game.Their pay perks may be same in all games unlike us.They gives equal publicity to all games.Unfortunately we give it only to money and money related things.
All these means there is a pride and prejudice between the games existing in India

Visit my blogs:

http://abidareacode.blogspot.com
Aggree with Abid on the points..

As I too mentioned earlier, there are many sponsorers and promoters for cricket. And BCCI is well-focusssed on promoting cricket. Unlike IHF which does not even care when India win a Hockey match.

There are, I think more about a 100 cricket matches in a year, including the IPL matches. Not so for other sports.

Runners like Anju George and PT Usha have less scope. Finally, it seems the film media has to do its bit to encourage hockey fever in Indians in the form of 'Chak De India'.
Hello,

I do agree that they are many sponsors for Indian team like Sahara etc because there is consistently good performance shown by the Indian Cricket players at international level. This consistent is not shown by other sports people at international level. Sahara is even ready to sponsor for Hockey team but they are lot of allegations in the team between the seniors and juniors.

In order to promote the game the respective organization should conduct more number of matches instead of saying that Cricket is hampering other games.
Hi Kathick-[quote]In order to promote the game the respective organization should conduct more number of matches instead of saying that Cricket is hampering other games[/quote]

As of now India is spending major portion of it revenue on cricket, if it spends the same amount on other sports, poverty and unempolyment rate will be increased.Hence, money on cricket including the heavy pay packages and benefits to cricketers, needs to be curbed.

And also, I doubt if there is "consistent good performance" for cricket, considering that the last world cup India won in cricket was in 1983. and I supppose there are comparitively less international one day matches won after that.
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.