Flogging as a punishment exists in the Army act 1950 in India.  It is part of the statute of punishments in many countries like Singapore and China. Most Islamic nations have flogging ( whipping) with a lash. This punishment has been seen to have a salutary  effect  and offences like sedition, insulting national flag etc can be put under this.  I wonder if it  should be introduced in India.  In my view the students who held a meeting  for Afzal Guru is a fit case for such a punishment.

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

I know, the existence of Flogging in the Army act to curb offenses. I have a doubt can Flogging be made applicable to Civilian spheres too ? I'm not sure. Please clarify.

rambabu wrote:

I know, the existence of Flogging in the Army act to curb offenses. I have a doubt can Flogging be made applicable to Civilian spheres too ? I'm not sure. Please clarify.

Flogging of civilians is accepted in nearly 3 dozen countries and some of them like Singapore are developed nations. I remember reading that when General Ayub seized power in Pakistan he introduced flogging for civilians for specific crimes. So long martial law remained in Pakistan this provision remained on statute books. In Singapore this punishment is for petty crimes like theft and littering the place and a doctor is present. Insulting the Singapore flag merits  6 lashes.

flogging is different thing, it is only treated to those whose deeds are not acceptable in the society. only god knows how much pain the person have to face who are been through this  .

bhuyali saroj

rambabu wrote:

Presently, there is no flogging in army Act. There is provision for rigorous imprisonment and physical exercise as punishment e.g. running with load on back (also called pithoo parade).

I favor flogging as punishment. This is indeed effective.  This may also be useful for removing addiction from intoxicants and wine.  

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

Gulshan Kumar Ajmani wrote:
rambabu wrote:

Presently, there is no flogging in army Act. There is provision for rigorous imprisonment and physical exercise as punishment e.g. running with load on back (also called pithoo parade).

I favor flogging as punishment. This is indeed effective.  This may also be useful for removing addiction from intoxicants and wine.  

Thanks for clarification. But, I wanted to know if flogging can be introduced in to the Indian Criminal code as a punishment for law offenders.

rambabu wrote:
rambabu wrote:

Thanks for clarification. But, I wanted to know if flogging can be introduced in to the Indian Criminal code as a punishment for law offenders. 

It depends on wisdom of the members of parliament. If majority decides introduction of flogging as a punishment, the can modify Indian Penal Code. 

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

rambabu wrote:
rambabu wrote:

It depends on wisdom of the members of parliament. If majority decides introduction of flogging as a punishment, the can modify Indian Penal Code. 

Now I understood. Such punishment is yet to be introduced in the Indian Penal Code. If flogging is introduced in the Indian Penal code, certainly it  makes a change. But it should be effectively implemented.

rambabu wrote:
rambabu wrote:
rambabu wrote:

Now I understood. Such punishment is yet to be introduced in the Indian Penal Code. If flogging is introduced in the Indian Penal code, certainly it  makes a change. But it should be effectively implemented.

Yes, implementation is the key. If even after passing, it is not enforced, then what use?

rambabu wrote:
rambabu wrote:
rambabu wrote:

Yes, implementation is the key. If even after passing, it is not enforced, then what use?

rambabu wrote:
rambabu wrote:

It can be passed, but the entire Indian approach is so lax, that it will require a iron will, which is sadly lacking

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.