The topic is locked.

The field of sports shows how backward India is in the field of sports. With a population of 1.2 billion, we are unable to win any sports involving strength and speed anywhere. A few winners here and there does not hide the stark fact the priority of the Indian governments have been lopsided. remember one swallow does not make the summer.You can only get sportsmen if the NATIONAL HEALTH improves. Here we have failed and per capita consumption of protein is among the lowest in the world. What to talk of there is famine and shortage of food. Who is responsible?

Abroad people ask me why your nation 1.2 billion cannot throw up a single winner in athletics and games of strength. I give some lame answer and walk away. It is an insult. The priority of the government should not be to run bullet train but FIRST, feed the people with a healthy diet. Even Mars probe has little meaning if a child goes half hungry to bed. That's why I say we need a Kemel Mustapha , sadly there is no one.

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

Very true. There is a state of reluctance in general prevailing in this country.This state of reluctance starts from the family, to the educational institutions to the Governments. The basic reason for this reluctance is, Indian society in general has a very bad notion about Sports and Games.

"If you study you will become a Nawab. If you play, you will become Kharab. "

There are very sportsmen and women who carved a niche of theirs in he Sports and Games Field, People like Saina Nehwal, Sania Mirza, Milkha Singh, Karanam Malleswari, proved their eminence in Olympics and Asian games. But their number  is very less.

Unless the Government takes initiative, the situation in Sports arena will remain as a dream.

Lastly, Modi in one of the Swatch Bharat sessions said. Swatch Bharat paves the way for a Healthy Nation. As you said it's only a Healthy Nation can produce good Sportsmen.

Mediocrity and not excellence is way of life in India.  Here we are always satisfied with mediocre results. Most of us are interested only in money and not excellence. Cricket is given more importance in India whereas China is no Cricket player.  Other games are being neglected owing to Cricket. Cricket is also more a source of income to speculators and the managers of Cricket Control Board. 

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

Why blame cricket for other sports not doing good. Do you want cricket also to become mediocre? Indians are dòing good in badminton,tennis, wrestling, shooting, billiards, snookers,boxing. Are u still unsatisfied like MGSingh, who is dissatisfied with everything in India and it's leaders etc. His favorite sport is blaming Nehru and minorities. Very unsportsman like attitude.

vijay wrote:

Why blame cricket for other sports not doing good. Do you want cricket also to become mediocre? Indians are dòing good in badminton,tennis, wrestling, shooting, billiards, snookers,boxing. Are u stillunsatisfied like MGSingh, who is dissatisfied with everything in India and it's leaders etc. His favorite sport is blaming Nehru and minorities. Very unsportsman like attitude.

Even the sports you mention India has not done well for a nation of 1.2 billion. Outside India even in cricket we have the greatest records of defeats in cricket. Under Dhoni India lost 8 consecutive tests in England and Australia- a world record of consecutive defeats. In tennis we have never one a wimbledon singles or any other major singles tournament. One swalow doesnt make a summer and in badminton except for one player its a big zero. We won 0ne medal in 100 years of olympics. Same in weightlifting and sports of strength. Be realistic and accept that Nehru had lopsided priorities. Had he concentrated on  making plans to feed the poor than in trying to be a " world Leader" where he crashed anyway, things would have been better.  ! I am a nationalist and travel abroad and I have been asked these questions. Its not good to be an ostrich.  I maintain India just cannot match a country in sports with tiny countries of 4/5 million despite 1200 million. Who is responsible?

MG Singh wrote:
vijay wrote:

Why blame cricket for other sports not doing good. Do you want cricket also to become mediocre? Indians are dòing good in badminton,tennis, wrestling, shooting, billiards, snookers,boxing. Are u stillunsatisfied like MGSingh, who is dissatisfied with everything in India and it's leaders etc. His favorite sport is blaming Nehru and minorities. Very unsportsman like attitude.

Even the sports you mention India has not done well for a nation of 1.2 billion. Outside India even in cricket we have the greatest records of defeats in cricket. Under Dhoni India lost 8 consecutive tests in England and Australia- a world record of consecutive defeats. In tennis we have never one a wimbledon singles or any other major singles tournament. One swalow doesnt make a summer and in badminton except for one player its a big zero. We won 0ne medal in 100 years of olympics. Same in weightlifting and sports of strength. Be realistic and accept that Nehru had lopsided priorities. Had he concentrated on  making plans to feed the poor than in trying to be a " world Leader" where he crashed anyway, things would have been better.  ! I am a nationalist and travel abroad and I have been asked these questions. Its not good to be an ostrich.  I maintain India just cannot match a country in sports with tiny countries of 4/5 million despite 1200 million. Who is responsible?

You are right. While it is true that there are certain achievements in the arena of Sports and Games, it's a pittance, for a Nation of 1.2 Billion of population. When the question of Who is responsible arises, there are several reasons like too much of political interference is one of the causes for the sorry state of affairs in Sports arena. Lack of infra structure is another reason. Due to this, an aspiring Sportsman cannot prepare to take part in International level of competitions. Abhinav Bindra, the only individual Gold medalist  from India went to Germany for his training.

rambabu wrote:
MG Singh wrote:
vijay wrote:

You are right. While it is true that there are certain achievements in the arena of Sports and Games, it's a pittance, for a Nation of 1.2 Billion of population. When the question of Who is responsible arises, there are several reasons like too much of political interference is one of the causes for the sorry state of affairs in Sports arena. Lack of infra structure is another reason. Due to this, an aspiring Sportsman cannot prepare to take part in International level of competitions. Abhinav Bindra, the only individual Gold medalist  from India went to Germany for his training.

Sadly the Congress party which ruled India for 60 years was only nterested in vote bank politics than in food and health followed by sports. 

Thank you said by: rambabu
MG Singh wrote:
rambabu wrote:
MG Singh wrote:
vijay wrote:

Sadly the Congress party which ruled India for 60 years was only nterested in vote bank politics than in food and health followed by sports. 

Well said. Creating Vote banks was their food. Now in Modi's regime things will be sorted out. His dream was to achieve a healthy India, that's capable of creating a healthy Nation.

It was during Congress rule that green revolution took place and since then food requirements are taken care of and India is an exporter from many years. Small pox and polio were eliminated during Congress rule for good health. Why are you so blind I am not able to understand. @MGSingh wants data for his articles and you both  beat his trumpet. Oppose but with facts.

M.G. Singh said that he is gathering matter for his article ?

Here are the facts for your benefit. Go through this article.

https://www.quora.com/Why-is-India-so-far-behind-in-the-Olympics-even-though-it-has-over-a-sixth-of-the-worlds-population

I feel it is more due to our own lack ...Indians have never been great sportmen at any period of time. It was meant only for Kshatrias , the Brahmins were busy with knowledge and so on.. We did have Yoga, which cannot be called a sporting activity . If we compare that to Europe where adventure sports have always been given a lot of importance and considered part and parcel of life. Chinese too are much more enterprising as a race than Indians. We can go back and see how everybody came, wiped their feet on us and left and some stayed on...It is only now that we are realising the importance of sports and other activities

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.