Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
[quote]Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
Let us hope that only conforming to pro government and ruling party policy and banning of sexual content are not the only concerns of the regularity body. What is required more is banning superstitious serials based on astrology and publicity of materials like auspicious rings, stones etc.

I agree! There is more necessity of banning such programes that emphasize more and more on horoscopes, birthstones, gadgets and jewellery to ward off so-called evil etc. etc. and the daily soaps that promote and magnify superstitions. This is only doing more harm than good by promoting importance of unnecessary rituals and even atrocities like committing child sacrifices. Suppressing sexuality would be a mistake in this era of open information, instead of banning serials with sexual content, there should be set different time slots like late night or should be made available on separate paid channels not accessible by anyone and everyone.

banning the serials'that emphasize more and more on horoscopes, birthstones, gadgets and jewellery to ward off so-called evil' is not at all possible. this is an extremely sensitive issue.belisfs and religion are merely a matter of faith and can never be established/proven/disguarded in a court.such cases will always be in favour of the serial makers.

only option is to create awareness among people about such false beliefs... [/quote]

Agreed these are sensitive issues but they have been blow out of proportion only in the recent years and that is thanks to the media, which will do anything to keep audiences hooked to their channels. These kind of shows are nothing but, like Gulshan has rightly remarked, poison! These have nothing to do with religion!

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

[quote]Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
Let us hope that only conforming to pro government and ruling party policy and banning of sexual content are not the only concerns of the regularity body. What is required more is banning superstitious serials based on astrology and publicity of materials like auspicious rings, stones etc.

I agree! There is more necessity of banning such programes that emphasize more and more on horoscopes, birthstones, gadgets and jewellery to ward off so-called evil etc. etc. and the daily soaps that promote and magnify superstitions. This is only doing more harm than good by promoting importance of unnecessary rituals and even atrocities like committing child sacrifices. Suppressing sexuality would be a mistake in this era of open information, instead of banning serials with sexual content, there should be set different time slots like late night or should be made available on separate paid channels not accessible by anyone and everyone.

banning the serials'that emphasize more and more on horoscopes, birthstones, gadgets and jewellery to ward off so-called evil' is not at all possible. this is an extremely sensitive issue.belisfs and religion are merely a matter of faith and can never be established/proven/disguarded in a court.such cases will always be in favour of the serial makers.

only option is to create awareness among people about such false beliefs...

Agreed these are sensitive issues but they have been blow out of proportion only in the recent years and that is thanks to the media, which will do anything to keep audiences hooked to their channels. These kind of shows are nothing but, like Gulshan has rightly remarked, poison! These have nothing to do with religion![/quote]

correct..i agree with you...but what i emphasised was that there is exactly no way you can ban them. you cannot stop these shows by laws or something.the people themselves have to understand and stop watching themselves....thats the way to go..
It's desirable to montor TV content but how far it's feasible from the technology point of view I have serious doubts!
[quote]correct..i agree with you...but what i emphasised was that there is exactly no way you can ban them. you cannot stop these shows by laws or something.the people themselves have to understand and stop watching themselves....thats the way to go.. [/quote]

deepak, Its true that there is no way to actually ban such content, but then in a country like India, we people normally follow the mob mentality. When everyone, including the media says that a particular thing is good for us, we believe it, if they say its bad, we say its bad. So if strict restrictions can be put on media to control such content, then eventually people will follow!

Mind you, I am not saying people have no capability to think for themselves, but then we have fallen severely into the habit of being told what to do!

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

What particularly turns me off is the sight of educated people hooked on to some astrological channels like people possessed!!
What particularly turns me off is the sight of educated people hooked on to some astrological channels like people possessed!!

The definition of 'educated' is also bizarre. You may get doctorate even in stupid subject like astrology or palmistry. If Murli manohar Joshi, minister odf education at center, Astrology would be included in Science stream in universities. For them, those with scientific outlook are 'uneducated'.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

many say astrology is a science.the number of persosns practicing astrology is increasing day by day...so is the number of human gods...
I don't know if it's science or something else but Murli Manhohar Joshi who is a celebrated physicist, may developed some blind spots as his advocacy for astrology would indicate!
many of the educated elite believes in astrology.it includes physicists,scientists and many writers even.
After all....we have to agree that there is a power superior to us in this world...

many say astrology is a science.the number of persosns practicing astrology is increasing day by day...so is the number of human gods...

Many claim this is science but this is pseudo science. There is no co relation between planets and human activities. Moreover, it makes no sense to say that planets behave differently with persons born on different dates. Future is uncertain but not predetermined. If astrology were true science, the astrologers would be able to predict future vents in stock market, property and commodity markets and gambling games and become richest.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.