The topic is locked.
Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
We have no Karwa chauth or anything resembling the custom in south India. I feel that what is being celebrated now is just a hype with the celebrities going all out to show that they too are part of the celebrations whether they understand the relevance or not - I was reading about Aishwariya Rai celebrating it on the net since her husband is away ! They have been married for so many years and I never heard of her ecelebrating it all these years ...It is like doing the IN thing ,,

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Thank you said by: mohan manohar
We have no Karwa chauth or anything resembling the custom in south India. I feel that what is being celebrated now is just a hype with the celebrities going all out to show that they too are part of the celebrations whether they understand the relevance or not - I was reading about Aishwariya Rai celebrating it on the net since her husband is away ! They have been married for so many years and I never heard of her ecelebrating it all these years ...It is like doing the IN thing ,,

I would describe Aishwarya's karwa chauth as anything for publicity. About the subject in question, it is a matter of personal choice and belief. Karwa Chauth is one that is celebrated in North and Central India, rest of the parts of country have similar types of fasts under different names. IN Maharashtra, we have Haritalika fast, one day prior to Ganesh Chaturthi and during the month of Shravan we have Vat Poornima. All fasts are meant for good health and long life of husband! I strongly feel that at least one day in year should be started as fast for husbands for their wives!

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Thank you said by: usha manohar, shadow

I would describe Aishwarya's karwa chauth as anything for publicity. About the subject in question, it is a matter of personal choice and belief. Karwa Chauth is one that is celebrated in North and Central India, rest of the parts of country have similar types of fasts under different names. IN Maharashtra, we have Haritalika fast, one day prior to Ganesh Chaturthi and during the month of Shravan we have Vat Poornima. All fasts are meant for good health and long life of husband! I strongly feel that at least one day in year should be started as fast for husbands for their wives!

I can see what you mean, I always take the opportunity to save my system from too many toxins which we accumulate by eating daily. My wife won't listen to any of my reasons but stay hungry (she calls is fast) I have told to her well in advance 'we shall eat together as in regular course, tell me when your fasting is over' - You can call it a fast but I take it as method of intoxication for myself. Maybe I don't want to admit, I also fast on her fasting days. Saves food and money as well. :laugh:

I love this free image hosting site for sharing my work

https://o0.nz/

Thank you said by: shadow, Kalyani Nandurkar

I can see what you mean, I always take the opportunity to save my system from too many toxins which we accumulate by eating daily. My wife won't listen to any of my reasons but stay hungry (she calls is fast) I have told to her well in advance 'we shall eat together as in regular course, tell me when your fasting is over' - You can call it a fast but I take it as method of intoxication for myself. Maybe I don't want to admit, I also fast on her fasting days. Saves food and money as well. :laugh:

@ Kalyani - I agree that it is good to fast once in a while so why not on a religious occassion if you believe in it ?
I have heard of quite a few husbands doing that like sunil ,which is sweet since they appreciate the wife's efforts and also show that they really care !

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Thank you said by: suni51, shadow, Kalyani Nandurkar

I must say that is a very practical suggestion. Why men should not take care of such issues! Why can't the skip a meal or two if they love their wives? I used to do it for the sake of traditions, now I love to do it for my inner satisfaction.
Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar

@ Kalyani - I agree that it is good to fast once in a while so why not on a religious occassion if you believe in it ?
I have heard of quite a few husbands doing that like sunil ,which is sweet since they appreciate the wife's efforts and also show that they really care !

These old traditions only highlight the love of partners for each other. But if you go to search any scientific reasons behind them you'll not find any. Yes, you can relate them to keeping your system clean and have more time for each other. People in olden times used to utilize these times thus saved for fun-outings. MELA- THELA you know, gifts and joy rides. :)

Thank you said by: usha manohar

These old traditions only highlight the love of partners for each other. But if you go to search any scientific reasons behind them you'll not find any. Yes, you can relate them to keeping your system clean and have more time for each other. People in olden times used to utilize these times thus saved for fun-outings. MELA- THELA you know, gifts and joy rides. :)
Festivals deal with believes and traditions, people used to observe with their near and dear ones and most of the times the pain of past is relieved due to this.

http://mohanmekap.com/

Basically traditionsand customs bring family members together and in this case the couple ...Our daily lives are filled with far too many stressful happenings and we do need a break every now and then so that we get refreshed and are ready to face what comes tomorrow and in that aspect it is essential to draw strength from close family and spouse

Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar, suni51

:laugh: :laugh: I tried to keep a fast genuinely once or twice after my marriage but I found it too difficult, not that I cannot refrain from eating but the fact that not being allowed to eat made me crave more, and when I asked my husband to join me in for the fast to encourage me, all I got was a look thrown at me as if I had come out from an asylum! So I just stopped all further efforts for fasting.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Thank you said by: suni51, usha manohar

:laugh: :laugh: I tried to keep a fast genuinely once or twice after my marriage but I found it too difficult, not that I cannot refrain from eating but the fact that not being allowed to eat made me crave more, and when I asked my husband to join me in for the fast to encourage me, all I got was a look thrown at me as if I had come out from an asylum! So I just stopped all further efforts for fasting.

I started fasting with my wife just to tease her or to make her give-up fasting but when she refused to accept all my persuasions and reasons, I myself thought that it is no good that a hungry woman should be forced to cook. That could have tempted to eat in between and my life would be in danger, you know the traditions of breaking a fast midway! So I thought it better to save myself from ANHONEE by going for fasting myself. Now I know that apart from karva Chouth which is Dawn to until moon-rise, almost 19-20 hours, other fasts are easier when women enjoy all kind of fruits and sweets as and when they feel like during their fast. I don't mind such fasts for myself but This Karva Chouth is really a hard one. Nothing but a cup of tea and then go to see whether the moon is out or still hiding. The moon rise in Sydney was at 11.10Pm and it was too darn cloudy. :)

Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.