Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
Though the president does not enjoy executive powers but his powers are enormous in the case of hung parliament! In this regard one has to remember the the most shameful chapter of India's history involving the role of a late president who was also a Congress's gift to the nation! The Emergency was declared at midnight and the actual presidential proclamation was signed later by the president! Just think of it! Worse than even a rubber stamp!
In case of hung parliament, there is no provision of President Rule at the center unlike in a state in the event of hung assembly. So, the President has to exercise his discretion. The President knew that Atal Behari Vajpayee had no majority and yet he appointed him as P.M. being leader of largest party. The government fell after thirteen days.

Pranab Mukherjee is well aware of intricacies of hung parliament and coalitions. So, as President, he can deal with contingencies of hung parliament and crisis arising from no clear majority for any alliance.

Incidentally, NDA and others have failed to name any viable candidate so far. UPA successfully finalized the candidate. On other hand NDA is still undecided. Mamata banerjee ridiculously named Manmohan singh (incumbent P.M.), Kalam and Som Nath Chatterjee without obtaining their consent, rather even seeking their views. Needless to say, UPA performed the job of selecting and nominating a candidate promptly. It is not job of UPA to facilitate selection of candidate by NDA or TMC.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

Tell me in simple words, which activities can President of India do, to strengthen our economy and how can he control ministers with his own personal decisions. Is it possible?

Meera sandhu
Tell me in simple words, President of India can do which activities to strengthen our economy and how he can control ministers with his own personal decisions. Is it possible?

All powers of President are in fact exercised by Council of Ministers headed by Prime Minister. Thus President's powers are really Prime Minister's powers. Hence, Prime Minister is also called 'President in action'.

According to constitution, Prime Minister can act only on advice of council of ministers and he can do nothing on his own. Even the address to Parliament and speech on Republic Day eve are drafted by council of Ministers and President simply reads. Thus President has no powers to exercise.

You might have seen that various government departments invite tenders for certain projects in name of President of India. All work of government of India is done in name of President. President has no executive powers. These are in his name but exercised by Prime Minister only.

Thank you said by: Sandhya Rani
Tell me in simple words, President of India can do which activities to strengthen our economy and how he can control ministers with his own personal decisions. Is it possible?

All powers of President are in fact exercised by Council of Ministers headed by Prime Minister. Thus President's powers are really Prime Minister's powers. Hence, Prime Minister is also called 'President in action'.

According to constitution, Prime Minister can act only on advice of council of ministers and he can do nothing on his own. Even the address to Parliament and speech on Republic Day eve are drafted by council of Ministers and President simply reads. Thus President has no powers to exercise.

You might have seen that various government departments invite tenders for certain projects in name of President of India. All work of government of India is done in name of President. President has no executive powers. These are in his name but exercised by Prime Minister only.

That's why we don't see President sitting in the Parliament.
Then why the President is selected.
I was having different state of mind towards president.
I knew that,in parliament whatever is passed or approved,in that there is no role of President.
But i am also having one state of mind that the Bigger decision are taken by President.

Why the President is there in our country?

Want to make each day Accountable

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
I think pranab ....becoz of :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: kalam refused ...........

Chant Hare krishna and be happy!!
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
I think pranab ....becoz of :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: kalam refused ...........

Still other have a chance.

I too believe that the Way is now almost clear,but still anything is possible.

Want to make each day Accountable

Still anything is not possible because our system works on party basis. There us no likelihood of major cross voting. If there is any, this will favor Pranab Mukherjee, the strong candidate. He is sure to win.

Let me add another interesting point. We shall have a married male President with his spouse living after a long gap. Kalam is unmarried and Pratibha Patil is a lady. President is First citizen and his wife is the First Lady. India will get First Lady after a long gap. First Lady plays very important role as the hostess in President House. Many dignitaries visit with their wives and First Lady becomes very significant.

Let there be rule that only a married person with wife living should be President. President and his wife both should have attractive personality and be conversant in spoken English and preferably Hindi also.

Salute to next President Pranab Mukherjee and the First Lady (his wife).

I am very disappointed with the general tenor of replies. None of which has made any serious attempt to deal with the questions which I tried to raise. Very disappointed,indeed!
I think theere is no more Kalam V/S Mukherjee now since Kalam has refused to contest categorically unless they guarantee his win. So there.....

I love this free image hosting site for sharing my work

https://o0.nz/

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.