Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
Tell me in simple words, President of India can do which activities to strengthen our economy and how he can control ministers with his own personal decisions. Is it possible?

All powers of President are in fact exercised by Council of Ministers headed by Prime Minister. Thus President's powers are really Prime Minister's powers. Hence, Prime Minister is also called 'President in action'.

According to constitution, Prime Minister can act only on advice of council of ministers and he can do nothing on his own. Even the address to Parliament and speech on Republic Day eve are drafted by council of Ministers and President simply reads. Thus President has no powers to exercise.

You might have seen that various government departments invite tenders for certain projects in name of President of India. All work of government of India is done in name of President. President has no executive powers. These are in his name but exercised by Prime Minister only.

That's why we don't see President sitting in the Parliament.
Then why the President is selected.
I was having different state of mind towards president.
I knew that,in parliament whatever is passed or approved,in that there is no role of President.
But i am also having one state of mind that the Bigger decision are taken by President.

Why the President is there in our country?

In fact, our system is parliamentary democracy. This corresponds broadly to British system. The British monarch (King or Queen) is titular head but all functions are carried out in name of the monarch. Instead of King, we have President who is elected by MPs and MLAs. President is titular or figure head whereas Prime minister is executive head.

Our state consists of (1) President (2) council of ministers (3) parliament (4) Judiciary or supreme court. President appoints Prime minister on basis of parliamentary majority. Law is passed by parliament and assent is given by President. A Bill passed by parliament needs President's assent. President is not a mere rubber stamp. If he feels that a bill is not proper, he may return for consideration. But ultimately, he has to give his assent if P.M. or parliament does not agree with him. This is like a family. You respect an elder and seek his view and even present him before outsiders as your elder. But ultimately you may act as you think proper.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

I am very disappointed with the general tenor of replies. None of which has made any serious attempt to deal with the questions which I tried to raise. Very disappointed,indeed!

Many of our members do not understand the constitutional position of President and relation with government. so they are trying to make queries and learn the real position. These are different from your questions but unless they understand the basics, they cannot properly reply your questions.

Gulshanji

It's a hypothetical exercise and let his name stay as record in our forum for posterity that two political parties wished to have him as a candidate!

As to Pranab's achievements I just want his admirers to cite a few so that I can admire him!!

I wish our vote counted in this election, although it does- but indirectly that too either through whip or on 'Aawaz of antratma' - now whatever is that. So you have no choice but to accept what is being imposed on you.

I love this free image hosting site for sharing my work

https://o0.nz/

Now it looks like a contest between the two. One is a famous scientist with signal contribution to making India a nuclear power, a selfless,lovable and respectable person with unique ability to interact with one and all with his great vision of future India. the author of "Igniting minds". Another a hard-boiled,shrewd politician who never faced direct election till 70,a great conscience-keeper of Nehru-Gandhi family,playing not so a respectable role during emergency as minister of state -finance, compromised his position in extending loans to Maruti - a Sanjay Gandhi failed venture when his senior and respectable late C.Subhramaniam refused to entertain any such favor,thus was cut to size by late Sanjay Gandhi! Now decide on your vote!

I definitely would have gone with Abdul kalam, but since he has opted out, I guess we havve no choice but to accept Pranab Mukherji, who may be better than others who are being considered and hopefully much better than Pratibha Patil, who only squandered a huge amount of money on her and her family's foreign tours..

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Gulshanji

It's a hypothetical exercise and let his name stay as record in our forum for posterity that two political parties wished to have him as a candidate!

As to Pranab's achievements I just want his admirers to cite a few so that I can admire him!!

I wish our vote counted in this election, although it does- but indirectly that too either through whip or on 'Aawaz of antratma' - now whatever is that. So you have no choice but to accept what is being imposed on you.

Elected M.P.s and MLAs vote in Presidential election. This is secret poll. A whip cannot be issued as election is not a proceeding in parliament. 'Conscience vote' means what the voter considers correct.

We elected members of parliament and state assemblies. They can definitely vote in the Presidential poll. In a party system, ruling party choice prevails. Hence ruling alliance candidate will win.

It is bizarre that names of Kalam, Man Mohan Singh and Som Nath Chatterjee were suggested without getting consent of concerned persons. In fact, giving man Mohan singh's name was very ridiculous.

I raised questions as to desirability,morality and political wisdom of allowing a single member of a much-hallowed family which has produced so many distortions in the democratic polity of our country has not elicited a single convincing reply. Secondly it is ridiculous to expect a highly respectable person like Dr. Kalam to enter the fray and the latest exchanges between Mamata Banerje and Dr. Kalam do clearly indicate that Dr. Kalam was not averse to the idea provided a consensus was there which the vitiated political atmosphere of the country has failed to reach. It is interesting to note that the moment Pranab Mukherjee's name was proposed,leaders of political parties of all hues - from left to right- just tumbled over one another to express support for Pranab -not without reason. What could be the possible motive? To preserve status quo, they always fear honest people and given to the kind of mass upsurge against corruption and corrupt politicians, they have every reasons to fear from honest presidents! But Congress always preferred door-mats over candidates of substance. Who have lost because of this perversity, not Gandhi family but we,the people of India!
I raised questions as to desirability,morality and political wisdom of allowing a single member of a much-hallowed family which has produced so many distortions in the democratic polity of our country has not elicited a single convincing reply. Secondly it is ridiculous to expect a highly respectable person like Dr. Kalam to enter the fray and the latest exchanges between Mamata Banerje and Dr. Kalam do clearly indicate that Dr. Kalam was not averse to the idea provided a consensus was there which the vitiated political atmosphere of the country has failed to reach. It is interesting to note that the moment Pranab Mukherjee's name was proposed,leaders of political parties of all hues - from left to right- just tumbled over one another to express support for Pranab -not without reason. What could be the possible motive? To preserve status quo, they always fear honest people and given to the kind of mass upsurge against corruption and corrupt politicians, they have every reasons to fear from honest presidents! But Congress always preferred door-mats over candidates of substance. Who have lost because of this perversity, not Gandhi family but we,the people of India!

Very apt ! In fact, Gandhi family would never support Abdul kalam knowing full well that he is neither a door mat nor a yes man ! Sonai gandhi is a very sharp and manipulative person who would never let anyone who poses a threat to gain any kind of important position as long as Congress is in power...

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Similarly why Pranab was so acceptable to even a few of our own people has utterly baffled me! Politicians never look beyond their noses of self-interest, although the fig-leaf of supreme interest of the country is always there to smartly hide that,but people with some knowledge about Pranab's past would never recommend him for this position. He is a boneless wonder! If the huge response that Mamata has received from the young section of our society in face book,we are well-set to see a sea-change in politics that is being played today to rid us of this decadent system of which these politicians are the presiding deities! with all her not so responsible actions I would still rate Mamata as one of those historical figures who is just discharging historic role and sure enough history won't miss to record it and her detractors won't even get a foot-note!
Similarly why Pranab was so acceptable to even a few of our own people has utterly baffled me! Politicians never look beyond their noses of self-interest, although the fig-leaf of supreme interest of the country is always there to smartly hide that,but people with some knowledge about Pranab's past would never recommend him for this position. He is a boneless wonder! If the huge response that Mamata has received from the young section of our society in face book,we are well-set to see a sea-change in politics that is being played today to rid us of this decadent system of which these politicians are the presiding deities! with all her not so responsible actions I would still rate Mamata as one of those historical figures who is just discharging historic role and sure enough history won't miss to record it and her detractors won't even get a foot-note!

We may like or not, democracy is a game of numbers. Congress leads the ruling alliance. So, we cannot question their wisdom of selecting or not selecting a particular candidate. As regards Sonia Gandhi's authority to select the candidate, she consulted Congress Chief Ministers and various forums of party and duly authorized by her party selected Pranab Mukherjee for Presidential post. Congress has its own unique style of functioning and it is no use finding fault with this. UPA allies accepted her decision. Some others also accepted. There is no point in saying that they must have selected a candidate as decided by TMC or NDA. If opposition is unable to choose a candidate, this is not UPA fault. If the opposition could not get Kalam's consent to contest election, this is not UPA's fault. If there is still not any commonly accepted candidate available to NDA, this is not UPA's fault.

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.