Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
Nothing could be substitute for a well-rounded education. There are certain branches of knowledge which rightly lay greater importance on the applied aspects but there has to be a right balance between theory and practice. It's true some mechanics hold apparent superiority on the strength of their wide experience but that doesn't dispense with the need for acquiring in- depth knowledge about his craft through knowledge.

Hi Chinmoy
I actually agree with you but I think it s not applicable on all the courses
Some of the courses I think shall never be conducted
Also
I learned a new word from you "Dispense" thanks :lol:

Hi Todd

I have not suggested it for all courses as my post would make it clear. What I emphasized is right stress on both the subjective as well as objective aspects of any branch of knowledge. For instance, one can not expect an efficient performance from an engineer who is not exposed to extensive objective studies of engineering. And in this instance,objective part should receive greater consideration. That's all about it! :P

Hi Chinmoy
I got what you meant now, although it took me a long time to read your sentences again and again :P
You have done a small mistake Todd...
You could have corrected the thread heading and contents by editing ......

Now two threads floating with same idea....

Can you please request admin to lock the previous one, if you think, this one is the best to continue our discussion?

Hi Sandhya
Awh how stupid I am and I am sorry about that
When you say admin you mean maverick?
If he is the one I will ask him to delete the posts instead of locking it

Just report it to admin giving the thread link and reason. He will lock the first one. (Give that thread link)

Hi Sandhya
I have already informed Maverick :)
I agree with A despite having marketing as my major in my degree and I would say some of the boys who started as mechanics are better automobile engineers than degree holder engineers. Same is true for almost any profession that needs practical knowledge more than bookish. At the same time such self made professionals may not know some of the finer points of the trade, which come by studying them in a proper manner.

First of all, I apologize for starting the previous topic without actually phrasing it properly
I shall make my question more specific and really looking forward to get opinions

Below is a conversation of two friends

A : One shall never choose marketing or other business major for their degree.
B : Why?
A : Because it s a skill its not a knowledge, its something that you can actually learn faster when you are in a work force.
B : Are you suggesting if someone is to choose marketing for his major in his degree he shall rather start working instead?
A : Yes, if you are working as a marketing related position, you will actually learn more than taking it as your degree

They then started to debate for a while, I guess there is no need to list down their latter conversation

Do you agree with A or B
if you agree with A, in what other fields do you actually think its the same case

I too agree that marketing is a skill that needs to be developed and also related to personalities.Some people can never market well since they do not have the required personality and attitude for convincing and closing an order.But having said that one should also have product knowledge and other related facts before one takes up a marketing job, it is not easy as most people tend to think...

I see, but somehow employers tend to hire those with skills with low salary
while those with certificate but somehow without skills and much experiences with high salary :ohmy:
Does it mean we shall actually stop all the universities from offering certain courses? :dry:

*Usha you havent completed your sentence yet? "as most people tend to think..."

Sorry :) I guess I just left it to trail off...What I meant to say was that most people tend to think that sales job is an easy one, which is definitely not the case.It needs a lot of skill esp communication and also an insight into the customer behavior and as I have already mentioned a lot of product knowledge.
Hiring those with skills may happen at the beginning but once you prove your worth, if you are really good at your job, I am sure that they wold be compensated accordingly ..

Oh I see
but I supposed sales job is different case here?
I am glad that nowadays freelancers trend is growing so sometimes we do not really have to communicate with our employers face to face
Years ago, you must be equipped with basic communication skill no matter what field you are in
that is a really sad case for someone who has unique characteristic but knowledgable
I agree with A despite having marketing as my major in my degree and I would say some of the boys who started as mechanics are better automobile engineers than degree holder engineers. Same is true for almost any profession that needs practical knowledge more than bookish. At the same time such self made professionals may not know some of the finer points of the trade, which come by studying them in a proper manner.

First of all, I apologize for starting the previous topic without actually phrasing it properly
I shall make my question more specific and really looking forward to get opinions

Below is a conversation of two friends

A : One shall never choose marketing or other business major for their degree.
B : Why?
A : Because it s a skill its not a knowledge, its something that you can actually learn faster when you are in a work force.
B : Are you suggesting if someone is to choose marketing for his major in his degree he shall rather start working instead?
A : Yes, if you are working as a marketing related position, you will actually learn more than taking it as your degree

They then started to debate for a while, I guess there is no need to list down their latter conversation

Do you agree with A or B
if you agree with A, in what other fields do you actually think its the same case

I too agree that marketing is a skill that needs to be developed and also related to personalities.Some people can never market well since they do not have the required personality and attitude for convincing and closing an order.But having said that one should also have product knowledge and other related facts before one takes up a marketing job, it is not easy as most people tend to think...

I see, but somehow employers tend to hire those with skills with low salary
while those with certificate but somehow without skills and much experiences with high salary :ohmy:
Does it mean we shall actually stop all the universities from offering certain courses? :dry:

*Usha you havent completed your sentence yet? "as most people tend to think..."

Both "skilled uneducated" and "unskilled educated" formally would exist. I remember a project engineer on a site, who knew nothing but had a degree would sit and read news papers while skilled supervisors would go ask him lot of questions and laugh on his silly answers.

Hahaha
how sarcastic and funny, I guess I shall ask my engineer friend
Another example, I have a friend who is a top student, found a part time job at a cafe after completing high school
she was waiting for colleges' reply (or colleges' replies? which one is correct)
other part timers who are in the same high school with her used to laugh at her for not knowing a lot of basic stuff of cleaning
Education is necessary in every field.But beside education it is also needed to have work experience.Now a days where ever we go for the job they first ask us that we have any experience about work.

It is so true and so sad
the unemployment rate for fresh graduates has been increasing dramatically :S
Just to give a simple example , there is a saying that an old patient is more knowledgeable than a new doctor.What ultimately matters is how well you utilise your education and knowledge to develop your skills, some do it with even basic knowledge and become even better than those who may have a mile long degrees !

I love the saying and thanks for sharing
So after all( and I thought its afterall until the red line appeared(appear or appeared in this case?))
So after all utilizing what you have is the most important thing B)
I agree more with B. But A is also correct to a large extent. Experience will give you skill. But you also need paper certificates in interviews. Educational and professional qualifications are necessary for advancement in your career even if these are mere decoration. In many cases, a formal qualification is mandatory.

Let me give an example. A clerk attached to an advocate may learn all the skill and be better than a professionally qualified lawyer. But in spite of his excellent knowledge and skill, he will not get opportunity for the post of judge or Tribunal member. He may not even represent any one in court in his own name.

And are not we supposed to change this?
someone who is more knowledgeable having a lower position instead of those who is less knowledgeable?
Also, those with certificates might not really have the knowledge (I actually typed knowledges and there is no such word?!?!)
I have friends who merely passed their papers and most of the marks they got are mostly internal marks(assignments etc)
Most of their assignments they either find someone to help them with or copy others
I agree more with B. But A is also correct to a large extent. Experience will give you skill. But you also need paper certificates in interviews. Educational and professional qualifications are necessary for advancement in your career even if these are mere decoration. In many cases, a formal qualification is mandatory.

Let me give an example. A clerk attached to an advocate may learn all the skill and be better than a professionally qualified lawyer. But in spite of his excellent knowledge and skill, he will not get opportunity for the post of judge or Tribunal member. He may not even represent any one in court in his own name.

Government of India has decided to issue certificate to the skilled labor/workers in two categories. Human resources ministry will issue RPL-1 and RPL-2 to such workers according to their knowledge and ability to read and write besides their skills. They shall be paid as much as degree holders on the basis of such certificates and eligible to apply for jobs.

I can not explain how exciting I am after reading this
I think it is really good of what your government has done :cheer:

Government of India has decided to issue certificate to the skilled labor/workers in two categories. Human resources ministry will issue RPL-1 and RPL-2 to such workers according to their knowledge and ability to read and write besides their skills. They shall be paid as much as degree holders on the basis of such certificates and eligible to apply for jobs.

The government move underlines importance of some form of formal education and certificates. Let me add some thing more. In Bank and many government departments, you need to qualify some formal examinations for getting promotion. It cannot be said that those who cannot pass are less knowledgeable. Father of my one friend used to tell that he can well manage the higher post if promoted but he lacked talent to qualify in exam. Hence, he was not promoted. Personally, I know that I cannot be successful in marketing career. But there will be no difficulty in passing exam.

For the very first time I saw someone using "Father of my one friend" instead of "One of my friend's father"
Cheers :cheer:
I agree with A. This is applicable in the fashion and modeling also. It is related with skill, talent of beauty.

Modeling!
I am a big fan of America next top model
I guess I shall not limit the topic
As there is special case in different fields
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.