Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
This is most undignified. This idea is an extension of charity concept common to all religions. The very concept of charity is inhuman and undignified. We should create circumstances that there are no beggars. In Punjab, there are no beggars. We should not waste foods by way of left overs.

I don't understand how giving charity to needy is undignified!! In Manipur too, there are no beggars but there are needy people. Getting food in return for works can be applicable for those adults who can work in return for food. But those children who are still very young to work or very old people who can no longer work, we cannot expect them to work in return for food.
But I do agree with you that we should not waste foods. Unfortunately. In Imphal lots of food are wasted during the community feast.

That is not just the case in Imphal, but all over in our country, it is considered that wasting food is a sign of status and of belonging to high, affluent society. It should actually be made a punishable offense for those who waste food in large quantities. Our country produces the major proportion of food grains in the world and yet, the number of children dying due to malnutrition is equally large!

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

This is most undignified. This idea is an extension of charity concept common to all religions. The very concept of charity is inhuman and undignified. We should create circumstances that there are no beggars. In Punjab, there are no beggars. We should not waste foods by way of left overs.

I don't understand how giving charity to needy is undignified!! In Manipur too, there are no beggars but there are needy people. Getting food in return for works can be applicable for those adults who can work in return for food. But those children who are still very young to work or very old people who can no longer work, we cannot expect them to work in return for food.
But I do agree with you that we should not waste foods. Unfortunately. In Imphal lots of food are wasted during the community feast.

That is not just the case in Imphal, but all over in our country, it is considered that wasting food is a sign of status and of belonging to high, affluent society. It should actually be made a punishable offense for those who waste food in large quantities. Our country produces the major proportion of food grains in the world and yet, the number of children dying due to malnutrition is equally large!

In my family and I feel in Punjabi community, wasting food is considered bad. But in Assam or may be entire North East this is seen as a sign of prosperity. Wasting food and distributing leftovers among less fortunate is obviously below human dignity. In this connection, I appreciate the spirit in which Langar system by Sikhs in Gurudwaras works. This system was initiated by Gur Ram Das. Every one- super rich to penniless sits together in langar (community kitchen) and there is no show of superiority by any one. I think such system of community kitchen should be introduced every where. It is also a matter of appreciation that Sikhs do not differentiate between Sikhs and non Sikhs in their Gurudwara Langar.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

I am referring to the food which goes to dogs after parties in hotels and banquet halls or even terahnvi (the thirteenth day function). Such food is sent to elderly homes even in big and developed countries. There is nothing related to religion in such cases. I am sure if we have orphanage, elderly homes and shelters for widows, what could be the harm if we provide leftovers to needy ones?
I am a Punjabi myself who knows value of labor and food for needy.

I love this free image hosting site for sharing my work

https://o0.nz/

Hmm.. Actually I have never heard about such food bank!! But surely it can help those needy people. But I haven't seen any place like that here.

ANDROIOS: http://androios-tweaks.blogspot.com
A hungry belly cannot distinguish between a left over and a freshly cooked aromatic food. What all it knows is to plunge on the first grain of food and devour. Big fights erupted just for a morsel of food. And there is no dearth of such hungry stomachs in this Karma Bhoomi that vouches the importance of ‘Anna Daanam’, (food donation).
Thank you said by: suni51
A hungry belly cannot distinguish between a left over and a freshly cooked aromatic food. What all it knows is to plunge on the first grain of food and devour. Big fights erupted just for a morsel of food. And there is no dearth of such hungry stomachs in this Karma Bhoomi that vouches the importance of ‘Anna Daanam’, (food donation).

This indicates the level of dehumanization that the social and religious order based on charity concept has led to. The system has created a class of super rich and the other too poor who can not even afford meals. It is a matter of utmost disgust that the exploiters, tax evaders and black money holders consider themselves great donors by parting with some ill gotten money.

I have no poor or rich in my mind here but the ones who have no means or people who have none to support. We can find them a plenty in old age homes, lepers' homes and orphanages.

I have no poor or rich in my mind here but the ones who have no means or people who have none to support. We can find them a plenty in old age homes, lepers' homes and orphanages.

This is okay. But it will be better to give them support in a more humane manner rather than feeding them with your leftovers. Incidentally leftover itself is bad enough. It will be still better to employ gainfully where possible

This is okay. But it will be better to give them support in a more humane manner rather than feeding them with your leftovers. Incidentally leftover itself is bad enough. It will be still better to employ gainfully where possible

I do not think offering a job to any lepor, child from orphanage, a 70 years old widow or someone from old age home unable to walk properly would be practical, neither I have intention of sending any leftover in my pate but the food which is left in our kitchen which is common practice besides we can always cook some extra for the cause of supporting such people. Feeding needy or 'have nots' should not be that bad an idea.

Thank you said by: Gulshan Kumar Ajmani

I do not think offering a job to any lepor, child from orphanage, a 70 years old widow or someone from old age home unable to walk properly would be practical, neither I have intention of sending any leftover in my pate but the food which is left in our kitchen which is common practice besides we can always cook some extra for the cause of supporting such people. Feeding needy or 'have nots' should not be that bad an idea.

Thank you. It is better to employ those who are willing and can work even though this may be lighter work. These days handicapped are also called 'differently disabled'. Thank you for explaining the concept of 'leftover'. The essence of suggestion is that the needy should be helped. This should be in dignified way. The help may be in cash or in kind. We have a leprosy home at Agra. Every month, the management sends some persons to collect our contribution against coupons specially for this purpose. We have also old age home which receives contribution from various sources.

Thank you said by: suni51
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.