The other day when I went to the fish market a middle aged lady lady not knowing the local language approached me ' Aunty can you ask the fisherwoman how much so and so fish costs ' and I told her ' I will do so, but I dont remember having met you any time before so why do you call me aunty and by the way you look as if you are either my age or older so if at all I shd be calling you aunty !! may be I overreacted vut this is one most annoying habit Indians have and many foreigners have remarked about this since they do it when they visit places abroad too lol :cheer: ...Is there any need to develop these kind of relationships with perfect strangers callig them aunty uncle,anna ,didi,amma,appa, Ji etc etc ...

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
I agree with you totally. It is very irritating when even grownup people call others aunty or uncle! :blink: A lady who lives in our building is around 65 years and she calls all men in our building, all between ages 40-45 as 'uncle'! It is so irritating and annoying. Even I am occasionally called as aunty by people who are hardly 3-4 years than me! :blink:

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Thank you said by: usha manohar
The other day when I went to the fish market a middle aged lady lady not knowing the local language approached me ' Aunty can you ask the fisherwoman how much so and so fish costs ' and I told her ' I will do so, but I dont remember having met you any time before so why do you call me aunty and by the way you look as if you are either my age or older so if at all I shd be calling you aunty !! may be I overreacted vut this is one most annoying habit Indians have and many foreigners have remarked about this since they do it when they visit places abroad too lol :cheer: ...Is there any need to develop these kind of relationships with perfect strangers callig them aunty uncle,anna ,didi,amma,appa, Ji etc etc ...

LOL, aunty Usha. It's nothing but another infectious disease willingly accepted and invited by some People.Craze for "Phoren Bhasha."

LOL, aunty Usha. It's nothing but another infectious disease willingly accepted and invited by some People.Craze for "Phoren Bhasha."

He he he! Very very true...Uncle Rambabu! :P

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Thank you said by: rambabu
It is indeed irritating, especially when people of your age or people who are slightly younger than you address you as didi, aunty etc. One of my colleague used to call me as didi..why the hell do you need to do that..I have never checked your actual birth details..

People start calling you aunty as soon as they see you holding a baby...no matter what your age is, you are bound to become an universal aunty!

There was this grand father who used to bring his grand daughter in the play area every evening, and when he saw my toddler who was way younger than his grandchild addressed my baby as didi..is it really necessary? If you at all need to address someone, do so by their name!

“A mistake is a crash-course in learning” – Billy Anderson

Thank you said by: usha manohar

:laugh: When you call these people uncle or aunty they get annoyed , thats the amusing part ! I am not sure if it is willingly accepted may unwilling accepted because how many mouths can you shut..

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

:laugh: When you call these people uncle or aunty they get annoyed , thats the amusing part ! I am not sure if it is willingly accepted may unwilling accepted because how many mouths can you shut..

No, no.i won't waste my energy to make their mouths shut, except laughing at their ignorance.
@Kalyani. That was a good retort.i loved it and LOL still.
Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar

No, no.i won't waste my energy to make their mouths shut, except laughing at their ignorance.
@Kalyani. That was a good retort.i loved it and LOL still.

I have a funny incident to share - When I was in Rome recently we met a Gujrati couple , firest time international travelers and the lady kept telling me that Italians were very rude and mannerless while I felt the opposite since I found them very friendly. She later told me that the previous day she had asked for directions with an elderly lady and later had thanked her saying Thank you aunty lol, and the lady had been very annoyed. I can understand her annoyance ..

In India, addressing even stranger by some relation is icommon. Bahin ji, mataji, chacha, baba are tau are well known forms of address. With use of English, many addrss as 'uncle', 'auntie'. However, it is annoying some one himself of your age addreeing you as uncle/ aunt. Personally, I dislike such use. I address all men as 'sir' and women as 'madam'. More intimate forms of address are for those already known. .

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

In India, addressing even stranger by some relation is icommon. Bahin ji, mataji, chacha, baba are tau are well known forms of address. With use of English, many addrss as 'uncle', 'auntie'. However, it is annoying some one himself of your age addreeing you as uncle/ aunt. Personally, I dislike such use. I address all men as 'sir' and women as 'madam'. More intimate forms of address are for those already known. .

I personally prefer to use "ji". In this respect I love the Lucknowi style of addressing. We have a rich cultural linguistic heritage. We need not borrow other ways of addressing from foreign languages.
The best way to address a stranger without offending anyone in the process is to say sir or ma'am.

“A mistake is a crash-course in learning” – Billy Anderson

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.